bi-wiring a CS400I

bdupuy
bdupuy Posts: 13
edited March 2003 in Troubleshooting
I have a new Monster bi-wire cable for my CS400i center channel. How do I determined which speaker input should have the low-pass cable and which one should have the hogh-pass? Maybe this is obvious by looking at the connections, but I'm going to have take things apart to even get a look at the back of the cabinet, and I wanted to be prepared.
Mains: Polk RC65i In-walls
Center: Polk CS400i atop TV
Sub: SVS pb12nsd/2
Surrounds: Polk RC55i In-walls
Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR600
Post edited by bdupuy on

Comments

• BeginnersLuck
    BeginnersLuck Posts: 213
    edited March 2003
    Top pair of teminals get is for the highs, bottom set is for the lows...good luck!
    TWFTPQ
    Receiver: Outlaw 1050
    Amps: Outlaw M-200 x 3 (Powering Mains and Center)
    Mains: RT800i; Center: CS400i; Surrounds: F/X500i
    Sub1: 214L Vented Tempest
    Sub2: 122L Sealed Tempest
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited March 2003
    I concur with Luck, but before you bi-wire, you MUST remove the jumper cables between the top and bottom posts.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited March 2003
    The easiest way to tell is to remove the jumper straps and touch the speaker leads to one binding post set and see which drivers play.

Tour2 and F1 are correct, though - top is the highs.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    edited March 2003
    What bi wires did you buy?
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • bdupuy
    edited March 2003
    Originally posted by mantis
    What bi wires did you buy?

Monster Z2b. I got this on Amazon.com.
  • mantis
    edited March 2003
    The top of your speaker is the high and the low is the low.Plug and and away you go.
    Do you have matching front 3 Z2b cables?
    Dan
  • bdupuy
    edited March 2003
    Originally posted by mantis
    The top of your speaker is the high and the low is the low.Plug and and away you go.
    Do you have matching front 3 Z2b cables?

I think I've got it hooked up correctly now. The cables are labled "high-pass" and "low-pass", respectively. I assume that "high-pass" should be connected to the tweeter and "low-pass" to the mids. Please correct me if this is wrong.

The Z2b comes with pin connectors on both ends. I was able to use those to connect to the speaker, but they are impossible on the receiver. A quick trip to Circuit City yielded the discovery of some wonderful Monster screw-on adapters that convert pins to banana plugs. They also have other adapters that convert pins to braided cables for easier speaker connection, but I didn't use them. Of course all of these little parts add up. I was a little disappointed that the Z2b didn't come with some of these parts, but I guess that's the way Monster makes money.

Not sure what you mean by "matching front 3 Z2b cables." I just have the center channel bi-wired.
  • mantis
    edited March 2003
    I see your using inwalls for mains and rears....cool.You can't bi wire them.I thought you might have some rti70's or such for mains yielding the question of matching front 3.Left center right is front 3.You have inwalls I see,I like it.
    Dan