May I have the forums attention PLEASE?

Options
mantis
mantis Posts: 17,056
edited February 2007 in The Clubhouse
OK OK enough is enough,
I know alot of you are having fun with fighting and making a mess out of our forum...................but,
Give me a minute and I want to tell you all a story.

I have been posting in this forum for a very long time.Longer then just about all of you.This forum started along time ago.I will say it was about 4 years or so.It was a wonderfull place to come in,talk about this hobby,and really learn from each other.

Today and for a long time,I feel this forum lost alot of that.I'm gonna leave that alone for now and go somewhere else for a minute......

I am just as guilty as all you newer guys who are tearing up the forum.I had my share of it,and you know what???After it was all said and done..........I didn't think it was the right thing to do.
Alot of you know exactly what I'm talking about.....the trio...............TroyD,Russ,and mantis.Later on it devoloped into Liv4fam and the rest of us.......but thats the past in short(very short).

I think we all should take a step back from the forum and think about WHY we all come in here.

Here's why I do....
I come in here because I love audio and video.I also Love Polk speakers.I think/live/dream/feel/experience/etc audio and video.I love it so much,I work in this industry.I want to learn all I can about what I love.

Most you know I love to talk about wire.**** I started some of the longest debates(that turned into fights and measuring contests).When I get something new,I love to talk about it.Now that I have a digital camera,I like to take pics of it and show everyone.And not for reasons that I want everyone to feel bad about what they own,I just like to share what I own.
You know I have a alot to say.I'm not sure If I earned the respect to even start a thead like this due to my track record,but I will say this guys......I mean well.....really I do.My delivery sucks,but if you can get threw it,somewhere there could be some usefull Info.

Back to "Today and for a long time,I feel this forum lost alot of that".You know quite honestly,I 've been wanting to quit the forum(yes I know again???)but not for a break ,but for good.I'll be honest,I hang around other forums and NONE of the **** that goes on in here,goes on elsewhere.
I don't know where we got OFF TRACK,but I would really like to get back ON TRACK.
So who's with me?
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
Post edited by mantis on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I'm in.

Back on track, lets do this. This place USED to be something to be proud of, lets make it happen, all petty **** aside.

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • mantis
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Well thats one,do I hear another?
    Dan
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe I'm there now.
    I want to stay and will but please tell me if my perception of me is false.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • rs159
    rs159 Posts: 1,027
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I know I'm not perfect, and nobody else is perfect, but personally I try not to offend anybody too deeply. And I agree, it seems like if a pissing contest doesn't start in here, we at least get so far off track it's not even related in any way to where it started from. I think we should start by actually paying more attention to the "regular" sections of this forum as opposed to off-topic. It might be fun for comic relief, but it shouldn't be the focus of the forum, which it seems to be. Look at the numbers - off topic has 25292 posts. The 2nd most is speakers with 10262. Not even half the posts in off topic.
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I'm game, and I agree.

Note: Mantis I can understand you wanting to quit for good, but you know it'll never happen. I take breaks from it. I was gone for a good 2 months one time. No biggie. You know you'll always come back! heheh

Lets do this.
  • rs159
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Such is the addiction...
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I am here, sitting in the back of the class, learning, soaking up the knowledge....saving coins for the big MOTHA upgrade
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • mantis
    edited March 2003
    Options
    See that,
    I knew there was a good core of guy?girls(if any out of respect)in here.
    Dan
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,027
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I guess Im in. Atleast, I will try to.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • etrigan
    etrigan Posts: 160
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Hasn't this been done before?
    http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4946

Myself, and MANY others have learned lots-o-info (and continue to do so,daily.) From everyone !
    I have nothing but respect for everyone's input - The knowledge that WE have is outstanding !
    Share it !
    This is how "newbies" (which we all were at one time or another)
    learn - and get into all things Audio - (2Chnl/HT/Separates/Subs/Wire/"Phones Etc...)
    If I ever had a ? about any of these things, I would go to the Source (The members of this forum)
    Guys like Russman/Troy/Dr.Ed/RonP/SVamp/Shane,Etc. - MADE this forum!
    And that's exactly what it is -- A FORUM ! - Nothing else.
    Don't deny people of your knowledge,Because of a few pissing contests - Besides,it's usually hilarious **** that goes on :lol:
    And a lot of knowledge passed around - Let's keep it that way
    You can never have too much info.
    Keep it coming - we will all benifit from this info.
    (If you agree w/a person or not) different people/different views.
    No right or wrong - just diff. opinions. - Bi-Wire/Bi-amp/replace jumpers/using a receiver as a pre/..whatever... Stick around - your knowledge (along w/everyone else's) is Priceless.
    Have fun ... Life's a long song...but the tune end's too soon for us all.

CHEERS ! jefff
    Art as expression-Not as market campaigns-Will still capture our imaginations.
  • HBombToo
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I remember that post..... Russman slammed me.

You are a Bastage Rooster!

HBombed:lol:
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • RuSsMaN
    edited March 2003
    Options
    What? Who? Where?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • HBombToo
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Its like the card trick... gotta look twice. ;)

Forgive me Forum... It was a 3G data Day all Day.

HBombed
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • RuSsMaN
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Eat me raw Henry, Eat me raw.
  • HBombToo
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    Eat me raw Henry, Eat me raw.

RUSSMAN your the fucken BEST! I had a feeling you'd figure that out!

HBombed
    :D
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • RuSsMaN
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Next go round, try some Drano instead of Whiskey Henry, I think you're ready. ;)

'I knew a guy who drank Drano TWICE, he's STILL dead' -GG

Cheers,
    Rooster
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I don't have much to say on this topic. I do think that i've always done my best not to get mixed up in the petty bickering among some of the people in here. I have strong opinions, but you know what guys? I keep em to myself. That's not to say good debate and disagreement isn't going to happen on here from time to time.
    I'm just amazed at the length some people will go to, to get the last word in and one up the others.

I'll join this bandwagon with you all, but I expect that you all will keep your promises too. If not, at least be man enough to take a step back and log off for a while till things cool down. Don't come back later and stir things up again. Just let it die.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • mantis
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Thanks for everyones input.I think we can get the forum back on track......
    Dan
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I think we can get the forum back on track......
    No, those 'trio-posts' were funny as hell...bring'em back I say.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I'm with everyone that wants to clean this place up. The thing that pisses me off the most is the shouting and mudslinging matches that go on in here. Honestly, the "Hall of Shame" should be much much bigger!

I've been on this forum for several years. If it were not for this forum, I really don't think I would have the setup I have today. I met Tyrone Thompson as a result of this forum and managed to score my set of SDA SRS 2.3's thanks to him. I can't remember the guy or his Polk name ( I know he lives near Atlanta), but I scored a nice CS400 from him at a great price a few years back as a result of this forum. I've learned quite a bit about different setups and tweaks on my system. The McGowen brothers in NY have always been the knowledge kings for us SDA fans. Heck, I even met Micah a few times. Really, he is a great guy even though we bust on him so much.

HOWEVER, all work and no play make Jack a dull boy. We must continue to have some humor in this place. Of course it all comes down to common sense, which unfortunately is not so common sometimes.

Let's get rocking everyone!!!

John
    No excuses!
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I'm in, Ok i said it!! :)
    it's all a matter of different opinions that don't always mesh well, we in life don't like or get along with everyone we meet in real life so why should that change online, meaning, we all think differently but it's what we keep to our selves and what we speak out loud that gets up in trouble, I am guilty of this myself.. So when we see something that piss's us off, step back and go on, don't stop and piss a match or 2, just move on, same go's with me, and all the other people who have managed to start a round or 2 or pissing 101......

Good post Mantis...... makes perfect sense, this board wasn't even like this when i started posting and had gotten progressivly worse over time, Good luck

side note:: I know me and Russman have some difference in opinions and a few others .. so lets put that aside and help each other and forget the personal stuff and stick to the basics... me included
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I have a recommendation as to how this can get started... Read, know and *respect* the individual forum topics. Flea Market, for example, isn't the place to post *anything* except things you have for sale, things you'd like to buy, or responses to others' posts on those subjects. It isn't the place to slam the item for sale or the seller. The Off Topic forum should be just that - the overflow for whatever comments you feel the need to make that don't fall into one of the other forums.

You know the most common comment I've heard about what made Mr. Rogers 'different?' It wasn't that he loved children (although he certainly did) - many people, many of us, love children. It wasn't that he was patient (although he certainly was). It was that he had RESPECT for children. He respected them as people, as individuals.

I think general "respect" would clean this place up. Respect for the forum topics, respect for the other members and their opinions, and, frankly, respect for the site in general, i.e. don't post a bunch of ****, especially post after post, of irrelevant crap and photos. If the comments you're about to post don't further the discussion, don't add in some way, don't post them.

Most of us claim to be here in large part due to our affinity for Polk speakers and our desire to interact with others who feel the same. And most of us who have had to or chose to deal with Polk as a company have high praise for their customer service and general attitude towards their customers. Correct? So.. show the company a little respect and do your part to make Polk's forums classy and familial and helpful.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I'm down with the whole spirit of the thread....

If I may say so, sure, I don't mind a debate, even a heated debate from time to time. If we all agreed, it would be boring. I will say, good natured needling aside, the personal attacks aren't cool. However, if there is a difference of opinion, again, I don't think it's a bad thing. It's a subjective hobby.

As far as the forum goes, I've met some of the folks on the forum, I keep in touch with a few outside the forum as well. My life has been the richer because of it. There are those that would scoff (as I would have some time ago, as I am not a 'net person, this is the only forum I frequent) that the relationships built here aren't real, but I think they are. Hell, I drove a long way to hang out at Casa Gates and had a wonderful time. The Grand children, well, if I could have kids (which I can't) I'd want a pair just like those two beautiful girls. Since I've been here, I've been deeply moved and humbled by the outpouring of support by those I only know from behind a computer, Tour2Ma, Doc, rlw, HBomb....and the list goes on. You ALL rule in my book.

And lastly, and I mention this NOT to evoke sympathy for me or my situation, if you ever need a gut check as to what is important, try being separated from the world as you know it for a few months. I can tell you what's NOT important is any pair of damn speakers or gear or petty B.S.

*THUMP*

(me jumping off my soapbox)

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Aw, you guys are so cuuuuuuuuute! Playing all nice nice and get-along! So sweet! I'm all weepy-eyed.

I will use everything you have all said in this thread against you all if you all go right back to starting crap all over this forum. And I mean YOU, dog!

I knew if I let you sling mud, you'd soon get tired of it and wise up. Maybe -- MAYBE -- you have!

I am looking forward to you all PROVING your love in coming weeks on this forum!

Suckers.

Micah
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • HBombToo
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Ok guys!!! Micah jumped into our party so LET HIM HAVE IT!

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • rs159
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I'll try to be nice, so I don't get kicked out again (which I was but it seems I've been let in again)

BTW - this message was not intended to have any substance at all. I just wanted to see if I could post again yet.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited March 2003
    Options
    rs159 how long were you banned? just curious

thanks, al the pal
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • mantis
    edited March 2003
    Options
    RS159,
    why where you kicked out???I don't remember you causing a problem????Fill me in Bro
    Dan
  • rs159
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Well, actually, now that I think about it, no one is allowed to post in the HOS, are they? dazeda.gif

Sorry for the confusion.
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Nope, Hall of Shame is just for us Super Important Forum Administrators to make fun of you all Forum posters who go astray!

Hee hee!

Micah
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney