Speaker Selection

Options
izafar
izafar Posts: 814
edited February 27 in Clubhouse Archives
Hi All,

I have been reading this forum for quite some time, but this is my first post. I need some recommendations about my speaker upgrade.

I currently have RM6600 satellites and PSW250 sub and KLH ASW10-120 sub. I want to upgrade my satellites to bookshelf speakers, and am on tight budget. I went to local audio store and auditioned RT 55i, RT 35i and RT 25i. Based upon my budget and audition I have the following two choices:

Choice 1:
RT 35i for fronts
RT 25i for rears
CS 245i for center

Choice 2:
RT 55i for fronts
RT 25i for rears
No center channel (add it later when budget allows it)

I listen to music & HT 50-50%. I am personally more inclined towards choice 2 as liked the sound of RT 55i more. The question is then is it ok to go without a center channel speaker for the time being? How big will be overall compromise of not having the center channel in HT environment?

Looking forward for feedback from experienced people.

Regards,
Imran
-izafar

Goldenear Technology Triton 1 - Benchmark AHB2 - Benchmark LA4 - Auralic Vega - Auralic Aries Mini - Marantz TT-15S1 - Clearaudio Nano
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited October 2001
    Options
    Both of your choices look good, if you like the RT55i, go with option 2, then you can add the center channel later. In HT environment, the center channel is important because it carries 50% or more weight of the sound track. I’m sure by Christmas, you will have enough saving to get the CS245i. Good luck…:)
  • eaadams
    eaadams Posts: 213
    edited October 2001
    Options
    Dont get any center other than the 400i. I find the 400 to be miles ahead of the 245. Save up to get the 400.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2001
    Options
    You got some splainin' to do Rucy.

If you have the time, please elaborate on your findings regarding the 245 vs 400. What size room, equipment, software used for testing.....

What differences did you hear? From your post, seems as if there is a night and day difference between the two.....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2001
    Options
    I had the 245i and traded it in for the 400i. Would I do it again? I dunno. Both are very good speakers. Primarily, I had some birthday cash to blow so I did the speaker upgrade through CC. Would I have been just as happy sticking with the 245? Yes, I would. I don't find a night/day improvement.

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited October 2001
    Options
    Me: "What's the top-of-the-line center speaker Polk makes?"
    answer: "CS400" (at the time).
    Me: "OK, I'll take it."

Aaron

P.S. Sure, I also wanted it to match perfectly too.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2001
    Options
    ...You didn't bother listening to either model, just took 'the top of the line'?

Man, maybe you need to go back and ask another question:

"What's the top-of-the-line rear speaker Polk makes?"

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Aaron
    edited October 2001
    Options
    Ouch, that's gonna leave a mark! Nice one, Russ. I'll be asking that question in the future, don't you worry.

Aaron
  • TroyD
    edited October 2001
    Options
    .....WHAM!

Have you guys ever seen the Foghorn Leghorn cartoon where he runs the dog to the end of his leash then grabs his tail and paddles his **** with a board?? That's what I was thinking...

If I didn't already have the 400i, I would pick up a used 350LS, that thing sounds great and looks imposing as well.

Troy
  • Aaron
    edited October 2001
    Options
    I addressed my last reply to Troy, but I should have been giving the credit to Russ. I have since corrected my mistake. Regarding the 350LS, something about 4 1/2" drivers doesn't do it for me. I like the imposing look of 6 1/2" drivers. I can't speak for the 350LS personally, but my parents' CS225 (I think that's the model) uses two 4 1/2" drivers and the speaker just sounds weak. You're also not going to get any bass out of 4 1/2" drivers, even if you have four of them.

Aaron
  • TroyD
    edited October 2001
    Options
    .....thanks for the compliment though.

I really like the 350LS I think it is excellent for dialogue. See, I don't think that it is absolutely critical to have THAT much bass out of the center. In my set up and in my opinion, I have the fronts and center set to small and I like it that way. Just my uneducated opinion...

Troy
  • izafar
    izafar Posts: 814
    edited October 2001
    Options
    Thanks Guys for your feedback, I purchased a pair of RT35i, RT25i and a CS245i yesterday. Wanted to go with 55s but couldn’t (due to the wife factor, unfortunately I took her to store with me and she just rejected them based upon their size).

OK, know I have some more questions (may be they are more suited for setup forum, but I will ask them here).

I hooked the new ones in the same setup that was used for the RM6600 satellites. After putting in my favorite CD the very first thing I noticed is the lack of BASS response. That was surprising, as these speakers should have better low frequency response than the satellites. After changing the sub's crossover frequency and phase settings and increasing the bass from the receiver i was able to get better results, but am still not 100% satisfied.

I think I am still not using the best hookup & configuration for the system. I am using Onkyo TX-DS494 receiver and running the front speakers through the POLK PSW 250 sub (using speaker level connection). The sub's crossover is set to around 70 Hz. I am running a second KLH ASW10-120 sub using sub-out of the receiver & crossover is set to around 50 Hz.

Please provide feedback on this setup and suggestions on how to improve it.

Thanks,
    Imran
    -izafar

Goldenear Technology Triton 1 - Benchmark AHB2 - Benchmark LA4 - Auralic Vega - Auralic Aries Mini - Marantz TT-15S1 - Clearaudio Nano
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited October 2001
    Options
    Were you running both subs before? Could be a phasing problem. The 35i's will play low enough that they might produce some bass interaction with the sub that the smaller satellites didn't. Try turning off one or both subs to get a feel for the bass output from the 35's. Spend some time fiddling with the phase switches. Or maybe pick the best subwoofer, and eliminate the other, or use one for front and one for rear, via speaker level connection.

As far as the hookup options, what you have may not be ideal, but it sounds to me like it would work if you can get the phasing sorted out.

Jason
  • TroyD
    edited October 2001
    Options
    This may be way off base..... but I think you might get better results not running the 35i's through the sub. Just hook them up to the receiver outs and using one sub on the LFE. Set all channels to small and Sub on or yes. Possibly you could try hooking one sub up to each front speaker, set the fronts to large and sub to no or off but where you have different subs, I don't know how well that would work.. Just a couple of my thoughts..I agree with the above post in the current setup though.

Again, I am not an expert but just giving my (uneducated) opinion.

Troy