My new Panasonic RP56 Progressive Scan Player

Options
Ron-P
Ron-P Posts: 8,516
edited February 27 in Clubhouse Archives
I just picked up this Progressive Scan Player to feed my Mits 46" 16:9 on Friday and finally got it out of the box last night.

Got her all wired up and was able to run a few disks thru.

First off, I am by no means a professional at the tech side of this stuff, I just like to watch movies. So, this small review will be in laymen terms.

I went with this model because it has the lastest Sage/Faroudja chipset which has been getting great reviews. Even the RP-91 still has the older Genesis chipset. Secondly, it does not have a lot of bells and whistles. No DVD-A, no upscaling for non-anamorphic dvds. What it does not have is the chroma bug which plagues a lot of players, including the new Sony models. One other down-side is it does not have a coax-out, only optical.

Other than that at a Best Buy price of $216.49, this progressive player produces an image above and beyond PS players twice the price, I tested several of'em.

The picture is nothing short of amazing. Right off, I noticed a much more fluid like motion to the image, very smooth and natural, everything seemed to just flow across the TV. The detail that became noticeable was amazing. Every detail on a face just jumped out. In Gladiator, for example, the detial on Crowes shield and his armor was excellent. I also noticed a much more 3-D type picture, much more depth. The colors also imporved, but minor in comparison to the above.

This player replaced my Sony 530D. As I was testing other PS players in the A/V shops, the difference was noticeable, but not to the extreme that I noticed when I got the RP56 home. I imagine this is also due to the major amount of tweaking I have done to my Mits. I am sure the set-ups in the stores and out-of-the-box and turned on.

I have yet to watch a film from beginning to end, that, I will due tonight with the SuperBit DVD of Desperado. Then I will comment on layer-changes and anything else I notice, like or dislike.

Peace Out~:D
If...
Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments