Infinity IRS-BETA

beemer
beemer Posts: 155
edited September 2012 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
Infinity IRS-BETA pair. Includes spare control woofer and more. No pics, no shipping unless you arrange it. $5500 firm or higher offer. No lower offers, thanks.....I'll keep them in that case. The speakers are located in Massachusetts. The Betas have been in a climate-controlled environment their whole life, and kept out of direct sunlight. I am the second owner, the original owner of 18 years is a close friend.

Email replies to: info@ultimatesoundsdj.com only.

I will not be back here to view the thread. A serious buyer would be welcome to see and hear these in my home and will not be disappointed in any way.

A non-serious buyer sends multiple emails with useless questions and then disappears, or makes promises and fails to follow through. What kind of buyer will YOU be?

I am happy to work closely with a serious buyer, however I have no tolerance left for time-wasters, tire-kickers, insincere people, cheepo's or folks who cannot follow through on their promises. The speakers are all I say. I won't waste your time, don't waste mine.

Paul
Main system: Levinson Reference 32 Preamp/30.6 DAC/31.5 Transport/Sony SCD777ES/VPI Aries w/SDS JMW 10.5 arm/Van den Hul Frog/Levinson 33 Monoblocks/33H Monoblocks/Transparent reference XL interconnect & Speaker cable/Nearfield Acoustics Pipedream Reference 18 Line Array.
Bedroom: Levinson 390S/380S/ML3/Sony SCD 777ES/McIntosh MC2000/Infinity IRS-Beta
Post edited by beemer on

Comments

• ViperZ
    ViperZ Posts: 2,046
    edited April 2009
    I had to see what these look like... holy moly...
    http://stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/988infinity/
    Panasonic PT-AE4000U projector for movies
    Carada 106" Precision Series (Classic Cinema White)
    Denon AVR-X3600H pre/pro
    Outlaw 770 7-channel amplifier
    B&W CDM1-SE fronts
    B&W CDM-CNT center
    B&W CDM1 rears on MoPADs
    JBL SP8CII in-ceiling height speakers
    Samsung DTB-H260F OTA HDTV tuner
    DUAL NHT SubTwo subwoofers
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-Ray player
    Belkin PF60 Power Center
    Harmony 1100 RF remote with RF extender
    Sony XBR-X950G 55" 4K HDR Smart TV + PS3 in the living room
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited April 2009
    Years later these guys morphed into a 50K system that were touted as a "world reference" system!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • zarrdoss
    zarrdoss Posts: 2,562
    edited April 2009
    I had some, sound is extrordinary.
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited April 2009
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,535
    edited April 2009
    beemer wrote: »
    Infinity IRS-BETA pair. Includes spare control woofer and more. No pics, no shipping unless you arrange it. $5500 firm or higher offer.

Paul, name your price--there are no "best offers" here. That stuff is for Flea-bay.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited April 2009
    Steve?? He did name his price. $5500 FIRM. I don't think anyone is going to pay more than the asking price.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,787
    edited April 2009
    ...if I had a bigger house...... Unlike any other ribbon speaker I've ever heard before. Teaser
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited April 2009
    OK,

So who here has 5.5K, unfortunately these are worth that! Ain't got it myself. And Beemer's not reading these POSTS!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • beemer
    beemer Posts: 155
    edited April 2009
    I am reading here. Forgive me if I come across a bit of a hard-a**, however I attempted to sell a pair of 2.3TL's here some time ago, and all I got were false promises, lots of talk and more no shows than I could shake a stick at. That's just not gonna happen with the sale of these Betas.

I have owned the Betas about 3 years now, I really do not want to sell, however I have not used them or the system they're in (in my master bedroom) for about 6 months. Time for them to go where they will get more use. :)

There's a country song that has a lyric: "There's no luggage handles on a hearse". I'm applying this logic as I look around my home at things like the Betas which are getting no regular use......time to move them along.

Paul
    Main system: Levinson Reference 32 Preamp/30.6 DAC/31.5 Transport/Sony SCD777ES/VPI Aries w/SDS JMW 10.5 arm/Van den Hul Frog/Levinson 33 Monoblocks/33H Monoblocks/Transparent reference XL interconnect & Speaker cable/Nearfield Acoustics Pipedream Reference 18 Line Array.
    Bedroom: Levinson 390S/380S/ML3/Sony SCD 777ES/McIntosh MC2000/Infinity IRS-Beta
  • tom t
    tom t Posts: 543
    edited April 2009
    good luck with the sale beemer. these speakers will blow away many "NEW" speakers at the same price. i know, i have heard them and now have 1b's. both superb speakers
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited April 2009
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited April 2009
    You're lucky you didn't get bashed for being a noob trying to sell something. Those are great speaks. I've only seen one other pair that were owned by someone other than yourself. Good Luck.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Impecco
    Impecco Posts: 3
    edited June 2012
    Do you still have these
  • Sicman
    Sicman Posts: 7
    edited August 2012
    Ihave a set of these in Connecticut that I just had the woofer towers refoamed and repalced a couple bad tweets.
    These are incredible speakers. I have 2 sets Q3's a set of Q5's . Been an Infinity fan for years siince '78. I may be selling these soon if my work situation doesn't turn around soon.
    IMG_1113.JPG
    IMG_1114.JPG

Cheers

John M
  • nhhiep
    nhhiep Posts: 877
    edited August 2012
    wow. is this the best from Infinity? how is it compare to SRT, I wonder?
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,598
    edited August 2012
    I would think the IRS-V would probably be the top dogs.

a_a_New_Infinity_NoGrill02_1.jpg
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • Sicman
    edited August 2012
    halo71 wrote: »
    I would think the IRS-V would probably be the top dogs.

Hi Gary:
    At 3 to 5 times the cost LOL !!! I'd love to hear a set of those. Just to say I did...

Cheers

John M
  • nhhiep
    edited August 2012
    holly damn,, speaking of "wall of sound"
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,598
    edited August 2012
    nhhiep wrote: »
    holly damn,, speaking of "wall of sound"

There are many of the vintage Infinity models I drool over....Gamma, Beta, Kappa, etc. For the time being I will have to remain happy with my RSIIIa's though.
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • newrival
    newrival Posts: 2,017
    edited August 2012
    Those IRS-Vs look like the set of RS1bs I had at my place. I can see why some people really like them, but they weren't for me. I much prefer the tone of Apogee or even the Carver Amazing.

Cool pieces of Audiopilia, however.
    design is where science and art break even.
  • dorokusai
    edited August 2012
    wow. is this the best from Infinity? how is it compare to SRT, I wonder?

They sound really different, to put it simply. The EMIT/SEMIT tweeter has a higher threshold and way more extension than the SRT. The shimmer and follow thru of all high end signal just keeps on going, almost to a pint of being a distraction depending on the track or media and could happen with any speaker. This is not the best example of this style of tweeter and later attempts and versions are much better and smoother. The high end on the SRT is smooth, predictable and just right even through the highest cymbal crashes, tho it may decay faster. I think the SRT has more depth over the EMIM midrange but this isn't a big deal since they are both pretty spectacular.

As far as bass response, I'm a bit torn on that one. You'd think the Infinity would have 10x more bass based on aesthetics but it doesn't....BUT it's very well balanced and the soundstage between the multiple towers is really seamless. The bass is not overdone or overblown when it could so easily be that way. The bass on the SRT is bloated, boosted and a little sloppy at times. Upgraded SRT's exhibit none of those characteristics. Now keep in mind that most rigs running this setup are solid and could vary in performance I'm sure....this is just my observation.

I'm not an Infinity fan, in any way but Arnie and Cary's accomplishment with these speakers is awesome and the trickle down helped a lot of other models. Unfortunately it never really worked since the high end was always more pronounced and advanced than any of the drivers to follow up and fill everything out. This became even worse with the SM series much later and a departure into the crappy Infinity that most ppl know to this day. YMMV.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • nhhiep
    edited August 2012
    "The bass on the SRT is bloated, boosted and a little sloppy at times. Upgraded SRT's exhibit none of those characteristics. "

what upgrades were you thinking of? I just got the SRT system last weekend and Polk no longer support this system; no parts.. I am looking for grills, feet, tweeter, mids, sub amp, and remote. u have any 4 sale?
  • Sicman
    edited August 2012
    I see the Polk stuff come up on Ebay but prices are ridiculous and the lower buy it now stuff goes real quick ...
    unless there's a Polk parts place somewhere that supports them.
    The IRS Beta's sound that way on the bass without the "servo amp" I tried it before I found one and it makes a world of difference with those big woofer towers. They need a big room also. I have them in a smaller space and the feedback to the control woofers causes problems at higher volumes.

Good luck with that SRT setup ...

John M

Good luck.
  • dorokusai
    edited September 2012
    "The bass on the SRT is bloated, boosted and a little sloppy at times. Upgraded SRT's exhibit none of those characteristics. "

what upgrades were you thinking of? I just got the SRT system last weekend and Polk no longer support this system; no parts.. I am looking for grills, feet, tweeter, mids, sub amp, and remote. u have any 4 sale?

Check with a Polkie named Esavinon or search for his threads. He's done great work with simple upgrades to the bass cabinet. He's our resident SRT Guru and a super nice guy to boot.