SDA1 problem

telh
telh Posts: 8
edited February 2003 in Troubleshooting
I have a set of sda1's I just gave them to my sister I hooked
them up at her house and hooked them to a sony receiver I gave
her it's only 85 watts a channel I told her it's not enough power
to run them right but it's free. Intill she can get an amp.
Here's my problem I hooked them to the front A side channel
left and right and the left side tweeters are not working at first
I did'nt have the interconnect cable so I made one thinking
this fix the problem but it did'nt. Doe's anyone have any ideas
what to check also I have another problem with the interconnect
cable hooked up and I turn the volume up the receiver it go's
into protect mode and I have to shut it off and turn it back on.
also can the speakers be used without the cable hooked up.
HELP PLEASE................................
Post edited by telh on

Comments

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited February 2003
    Was this pairing working before?

I ask because SDA's require an amplifier that employs a common ground design. Most do, but not all do. Your Polk SDA owners manual should discuss this.

Edit: Call Sony or Polk Cust Service to find out if your model receiver incorporates a common-ground amp.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    edited February 2003
    telh,

Yes, they will work without the interconnect cable, but you will not get the SDA effect. How loud was it when the "protection" came on? It sounds like the Sony can't drive the 1's. I'm not clear on the problem with the tweeters, did you get them to work? If not and it's just the left channel tweets that aren't working, you may have a bad crossover or a loose wire somewhere. Let us know.

Just saw Tour's post, all Sony's are common ground.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• telh
    telh Posts: 8
    edited February 2003
    I'll check the wiring but if it's the crossover how do I check it and can it be repaired or do I have to get a new one.

The protection came on when the volume was half.

What's a decent amp for the money to run them.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    edited February 2003
    Alright, a simple check would be to hook up the left speaker to the right output from the amp. Leave the right speaker disconnected. If the tweeters work, then you know it's not the crossover. If the tweets still don't work, call Ken in Customer Service. I'm guessing you have a Sony DE series receiver which is not rated to drive a 6 or 4 ohm load speaker such as the Polk's. The receiver is overheating and shuts it's self down to prevent it from going up in smoke. You'll just have to keep the volume down until you replace it. Sony ES, Rotel, Yamaha, Denon are a few, but make sure it will handle a 4 ohm load and is a high current design.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk