Symphonic Metal

Options
2»

Comments

• organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Whoa I didn't know Epica has a new album coming out. Gonna buy that one too.
    Wonder how it will compare with Leaves' Eyes newest "Njord"? I feel it is one of the best female lead symphonic metal so far...
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited October 2009
    Options
    I just picked up "Njord" and "Vinland Saga" last week, Vinland is a much better album then Njord. Njord, to me, is one long song, no real character to the album.

I also find her voice to be the least operatic, it's very soft, weak and with not much range. At least, compared to Simone and Tarja. Leaves' Eyes is good, but not Epica or Nightwish good.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Sorry to hear you didn't like them.

I really miss Tarja on Nightwish:(. Hope her new solo album comes out soon.

After the show, can you please let me know who the supporting acts were. They'll usually have 2-3 bands of similar musical sytle open up. It's such a great way to discover new bands, and you can buy the cd at their desk.
    If you want to be close to Simone, get there early. Good symphonic metal bands here usually have long line ups. I normally get there 1-2hrs before doors open to guarantee front row. That's what I love about metal shows. You're so close to the band.
  • xj4094dg
    xj4094dg Posts: 1,158
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Ron-P wrote: »
    Epica will be in LA in February. They are playing "The Key Club" in West Hollywood. At $23 a ticket, I will be there. Should be one hell-of-a concert.

I'll be there as well...
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it." Neil deGrasse Tyson.
  • Ron-P
    edited October 2009
    Options
    organ wrote: »
    Sorry to hear you didn't like them.

I really miss Tarja on Nightwish:(. Hope her new solo album comes out soon.

After the show, can you please let me know who the supporting acts were. They'll usually have 2-3 bands of similar musical sytle open up. It's such a great way to discover new bands, and you can buy the cd at their desk.
    If you want to be close to Simone, get there early. Good symphonic metal bands here usually have long line ups. I normally get there 1-2hrs before doors open to guarantee front row. That's what I love about metal shows. You're so close to the band.

Thanks for the tip. BTW, her new solo album "My Winter Storm" has been out for a while now.
    If...
  • Ron-P
    edited October 2009
    Options
    xj4094dg wrote: »
    I'll be there as well...

Cool! We'll have to try and meet up. I plan to be on Sunset all day for lunch and such, plus, I want to get there early like organ suggested.
    If...
  • Ron-P
    edited October 2009
    Options
    WoooooooooHoooooooooooooo.......

EpicaTix.jpg
    If...
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited October 2009
    Options
    do you have the schedual for these guys ?
    I would like to make a show myself...
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • Ron-P
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Well, SUCK!!!

Their show at the Key Club got moved to the House of Blues in LA. I hate the HoB, their acoustics suck, their small, parking sucks and their overpriced. So, seems I won't see them after all.

On the other hand, EPICA's new CD; Design Your Universe is their best yet, fantastic on all accounts.
    If...
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Any Apocalyptica? Or does that not fit your genre?
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • Ron-P
    Options
    Bringing this one back from the dead...

I just scored a pair of tickets to see Epica! They have one stop on their tour, in LA for one night only at the Regent theater, downtown. I so cannot wait, November 19th. This will be my first live symphonic metal concert...
    If...
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options
    Not sure if anyone mentioned Therion?

They are my favorite!
    Very classical at times, but still metal at times. And they tend to vary their song style quite a bit also.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPqATooU6CU
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited October 2016
    Options
    organ wrote: »
    I really like Nightwish up to "Once". I find them too poppy now. Epica, Sirenia, Theatre of Tragedy (older stuff), Borealis, etc are excellent.

The best Symphonic Metal IMO are Therion and Leaves' Eyes.
    Therion has been around for a long time. Best album to try would be Gothic Kabbalah or Serius B/Lemuria. Vinland Saga is a great album from Leaves' Eyes.
    Youtube them. I'm sure you'll love them if you're into Symphonic.

Huge therion fan here!

"Vovin" is great also, as is "les Fleurs du mal", and some of their live stuff, especially with orchestra.

Loved Leaves Eyes, but not so sure about the new singer.......hmmm...need to listen more I guess.