Symphonic Metal

Options
Ron-P
Ron-P Posts: 8,516
edited December 2009 in Music & Movies
I just discovered this music a couple of days ago by accident, I love it. Has anyone heard of it, or is there anyone here into it? I find it fantastic blend of opera, death-metal with an orchestra. Nightwish, Epica, Within Temptation and Sirenia just to name a few. Some awesome music.

Punch up some of those bands on YouTube. Nightwish does a fantasic version of "The Phantom of the Opera", it gave me chills.
If...
Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
Post edited by Ron-P on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2009
    Options
    I love this genre of metal! You get kick **** heavy metal that is well written and played by extremely talented musicians. I stumbled upon Nightwish about 6 years ago and have been a huge fan ever since. There are a lot of other bands out there like this. Itunes has a ton of em! Nightwish from "Once" and back are just phenomenal but "Dark Passion Play" isnt so much. The music is still great but the new singer sounds like Jessica Simpson.

Kamelot is another of my favorites. The Black Halo and Ghost Opera are their best offerings. Roy Kahn is the best male singer in this genre and one of the best recording today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-TUufvK0gU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I438RH1oUJc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qdcl67H1Jw
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • metal83
    metal83 Posts: 1,219
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Ron-P wrote: »
    I just discovered this music a couple of days ago by accident, I love it. Has anyone heard of it, or is there anyone here into it? I find it fantastic blend of opera, death-metal with an orchestra. Nightwish, Epica, Within Temptation and Sirenia just to name a few. Some awesome music.

Punch up some of those bands on YouTube. Nightwish does a fantasic version of "The Phantom of the Opera", it gave me chills.

That's the type of stuff my fiancee loves, she's really into that stuff (i enjoy it as well). And there are tons and tons of bands like this, it's amazing. And that music sounds incredible on a half way decent system, we were listening to one of her Nightwish albums, and a band called Amaran, last weekend.
  • Ron-P
    edited February 2009
    Options
    One of my favorites so far is Simone Simon's from Epica, her voice is amazing, I love it and she's smoke'n hot.

Simone_Simons_by_cahankh.jpg
    If...
  • metal83
    edited February 2009
    Options
    One of my favorites so far is Simone Simon's from Epica, her voice is amazing, I love it and she's smoke'n hot.

Simone_Simons_by_cahankh.jpg

Yeah she is!!! :)
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,915
    edited February 2009
    Options
    I like it,i will be checking more of these bands out.
    never heard of any of them Thanks!! I like them better then DragonForce.DragonForce is good,and talented but after a couple of songs they start to get on my nerves.
  • lunazul
    lunazul Posts: 780
    edited February 2009
    Options
    MacLeod wrote: »

I like this guy's voice.
    Kinda reminds me of Geoff Tate from Queensryche
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Exactly what I thought when I first heard it. He's into the theatrics of performing like Tate is/was as well.

I like a lot of Epica's stuff but they ruin a lot of their songs with the stupid screaming death metal crap. If they just let her be the ONLY vocalist, Id own all their music. As it stands now I have to pass. Im a diehard headbanger for over 20 years now but I have never been able to get into the dumbass screaming.

Tarja Turunen is the hottest of the symphonic chicks, and the most talented IMO.

xfst52.jpg

This is about my favorite from them. Nemo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO4LyKd-Hws
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • metal83
    edited February 2009
    Options
    MacLeod wrote: »
    Exactly what I thought when I first heard it. He's into the theatrics of performing like Tate is/was as well.

I like a lot of Epica's stuff but they ruin a lot of their songs with the stupid screaming death metal crap. If they just let her be the ONLY vocalist, Id own all their music. As it stands now I have to pass. Im a diehard headbanger for over 20 years now but I have never been able to get into the dumbass screaming.

That stupid screaming death metal crap is what makes it that much better...lol :p;)

I know that type of stuff is not for everyone though (the screaming), just like country isn't for everyone, or (c)rap, etc etc.
  • Ron-P
    edited February 2009
    Options
    I kinda like the screaming death metal crap, adds to the overall flavor of the music.
    If...
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited February 2009
    Options
    They're a little different style than those mentioned above, but Symphony X is worth checking out as well.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited February 2009
    Options
    The only issue I have with alot of this music is the over-use of the dramatic and the theatrics in general. I 'get' that that's the point, just gets old after a while. I find this in a lot of other prog rock as well, I just have to mix things up...

As for Nightwish, 'Once' is a little too 'pop' for me. I won't use the term mainstream because then I get tagged as a music snob, but that's essentially what it is for me.
  • metal83
    edited February 2009
    Options
    The only issue I have with alot of this music is the over-use of the dramatic and the theatrics in general. I 'get' that that's the point, just gets old after a while. I find this in a lot of other prog rock as well, I just have to mix things up...

As for Nightwish, 'Once' is a little too 'pop' for me. I won't use the term mainstream because then I get tagged as a music snob, but that's essentially what it is for me.

Nothing wrong with calling something mainstream, so many good metal bands get sucked into that direction now a days, such a shame!!!

Nightwish is good though, i don't mind listening to them when my fiancee pulls out their albums. :)
  • Ron-P
    edited February 2009
    Options
    lunazul wrote: »
    I like this guy's voice.
    Kinda reminds me of Geoff Tate from Queensryche

That's exactly what I thought when I came across the band on YouTube the other day. But, it's not one of my favorites though.
    If...
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited February 2009
    Options
    I really like Nightwish up to "Once". I find them too poppy now. Epica, Sirenia, Theatre of Tragedy (older stuff), Borealis, etc are excellent.

The best Symphonic Metal IMO are Therion and Leaves' Eyes.
    Therion has been around for a long time. Best album to try would be Gothic Kabbalah or Serius B/Lemuria. Vinland Saga is a great album from Leaves' Eyes.
    Youtube them. I'm sure you'll love them if you're into Symphonic.
  • Ron-P
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Epica will be in LA in February. They are playing "The Key Club" in West Hollywood. At $23 a ticket, I will be there. Should be one hell-of-a concert.
    If...
  • Fongolio
    Fongolio Posts: 3,516
    edited October 2009
    Options
    For some really good old school female lead vocal metal try Warlock's Triumph and Agony. Doro Peche on vocals.
    SDA-1C (full mods)
    Carver TFM-55
    NAD 1130 Pre-amp
    Rega Planar 3 TT/Shelter 501 MkII
    The Clamp
    Revox A77 Mk IV Dolby reel to reel
    Thorens TD160/Mission 774 arm/Stanton 881S Shibata
    Nakamichi CR7 Cassette Deck
    Rotel RCD-855 with modified tube output stage
    Cambridge Audio DACmagic Plus
    ADC Soundshaper 3 EQ
    Ben's IC's
    Nitty Gritty 1.5FI RCM
  • organ
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Epica will be in LA in February. They are playing "The Key Club" in West Hollywood. At $23 a ticket, I will be there. Should be one hell-of-a concert.

They kick serious **** on stage. I've saw them open for Kamelot here. Simone can really headbang. Hope you enjoy the show.
  • mmadden28
    mmadden28 Posts: 4,283
    edited October 2009
    Options
    I guess you could say I'm still in the discovery stage for Symphonic metal, and with several of the bands already mentioned.

How about a little old skool; Candlemass. May not be quite the 'symphonic' you're looking for but they definitely had a unique vocal style--more Doom metal than Symphonic.

Check out Dark Are the Veils of Death from the Nightfall album

HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
    2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 :cool:, SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
    Pool: Atrium 60's/45's
  • mmadden28
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Where does Evanescense fit as a Genre?

HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
    2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 :cool:, SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
  • organ
    edited October 2009
    Options
    mmadden28 wrote: »

How about a little old skool; Candlemass. May not be quite the 'symphonic' you're looking for but they definitely had a unique vocal style--more Doom metal than Symphonic.

Check out Dark Are the Veils of Death from the Nightfall album

Incase you're interested, Snowy Shaw (Candlemass vocalist) performed vocals on Therion's 'Gothic Kabbalah' album.

IMO Evanescense is rock.
  • mmadden28
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Snowy Shaw? I know him from Mercyful Fate/King Diamond-I did not know he was a singer in Candlemass-Hmmm-I'll have to look into this some more. Thanks.

• organ
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Sheeat, now that you mentioned Mercyful Fate, I think I may have had Snowy confused with them.. I'll have to look into that... sorry
  • mmadden28
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Just did a little digging, Your right about Snowy in Therion's latest, but not about Candlemass.

Looks like Messiah Marcolin was the singer when Nightfall was recorded. I never really listened to the other Candlemass albums, and apparently that was the only album Marcolin sang on.
    Interestingly enough though, Marcolin is on the current live tour lineup (in addition to Shaw) with Therion.

Of course I never knew Shaw did vocals at all. Just as a drummer with MF, KD and IllWill. Cool to know though.

• Ron-P
    edited October 2009
    Options
    mmadden28 wrote: »
    Where does Evanescense fit as a Genre?

They don't. There a decent goth pop type band but no where near the quality of a good symphonic metal band.
    If...
  • Ron-P
    edited October 2009
    Options
    organ wrote: »
    They kick serious **** on stage. I've saw them open for Kamelot here. Simone can really headbang. Hope you enjoy the show.

That's good to hear, I am super excited to see them live.
    If...
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited October 2009
    Options
    up late last night.....couldn`t sleep

you got mee hooked !
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • jinjuku
    jinjuku Posts: 1,523
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Nightwish "Phantom of the Opera?" I don't know which is worse:

Poseur 'heavy metal' artistry or Yanni.

Now if this was Trinity or Zombie I would have a little more respect. Sorry, just not my 'thing'.
  • beardog03
    edited October 2009
    Options
    you can`t deny that the red-head for Epica can sing.....I can`t take my eyes off of her !
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s

• Ron-P
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Just scored my Epica tickets, there on the way to my house now.

Only a couple of weeks now until their new CD hits my mail box. Design Your Universe, it's getting some fantastic reviews. Can't wait!

Epica_DesignYourUniverse_300.jpg
    If...
  • beardog03
    edited October 2009
    Options
    I wanna go..!!
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s