Polk CSi40 cutting out

Options
botany
botany Posts: 68
edited February 2003 in Troubleshooting
Hello, I have a CSi40 Center speaker that seems to have a problem. When I first turn on my system their is sound coming from the center, but within about five or ten minutes it cuts out; that is no sound. I can turn up the sound and it turns back on doing this it seems to stay on with no problems. I am able to lower the sound and it stays on. I have checked the wires and the receiver for problems and all are working fine. I have taken and used my old center that I have with my RM7600 and all worked fine. So doing all of that it seems the CSi40 is the problem.
Has anyone else have problems with the CSi40 center?

I hope Polk technical people are reading so they could give me some help. I am calling Polk on Friday for help, in the mean time I hope to here from you all on this. Maybe I missed something in checking and testing.

Thanks for your help,

Botany
Post edited by botany on

Comments

• MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Does your wife know which switch cuts off the power to ur ht?
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Hello Botany,
    Thanks for posting on the Forum. In all likelihood, what you are experiencing is more related to the receiver's circuitry or the connecting speaker wire rather than the speaker itself. In other words, the speaker doesn't have any kind of mechanism that could delay it from playing. However, that kind of difficulty could be attributed to the speaker wire connections from the center channel output, on the receiver, or the speaker wire connections on the back of the speaker. Examine both at the back of the receiver and the speaker, make sure that whatever connection method you have used is secure. Also examine the binding post jumper plates, making sure they are firmly in place. If you want a foolproof method to test the CSi 40, try exchanging it for either the left or right channel connection from your receiver. If you connect it to the right channels speaker wires, see if there's any repeat of the intermittent problem.
    Regards, Ken Swauger
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by botany
    I have checked the wires and the receiver for problems and all are working fine. I have taken and used my old center that I have with my RM7600 and all worked fine. So doing all of that it seems the CSi40 is the problem.
    Ken,
    Seems like he's already done all you suggested.

Botany,
    If it's under warranty, I'd take it back to the dealer. Sounds to me like a driver coil or crossover element might be overheating. If it's not under warranty, due to e-purchase or whatever, e-mail Ken for a troubleshooting guide.
    If you can diagnose it, you should be able to repair it yourself with a little guidance from Ken and some of the resident "tweakers" in the Club.
    Either way, just live with your old center for a while. The CSi could damage your amp, if it has problems.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD