PSW125 Blown Fuse

Options
TShand
TShand Posts: 32
edited June 2009 in Troubleshooting
Hi there... First time poster on the Polk Forums...

Noticed that my sub wasn't getting power anymore... Took out the fuse and noticed it was blown. Easy fix, I thought.

Went looking for the fuse listed on the back of the sub (and on the blown fuse itself)... Called a "T1.6A L 250V". Went looking around for this fuse... And no body seems to have it. A guy at The Source by Circuit City (aka Radio Shack) gave me a 2amp fuse and said it would work fine... But it blew pretty much ASAP when i plugged the sub back in.

I have noticed other Polk subs on the forum with blown fuses... But haven't seen anything in regards to my particular model. If I can actually find the right fuse - will my problem be solved? Or is there something else going on with my subwoofer?

I've only had it for one year - so it should still be covered by the warranty... Any ideas? If it matters - I live in Canada.

Thanks!
Travis
Post edited by TShand on

Comments

• litlred515
    litlred515 Posts: 35
    edited January 2009
    Options
    did you try calling polk for a new fuse?
    Receiver: Marantz SR6001(for sale)
    Fronts: RTi70's black(for sale)
    Center: CSi40 black(for sale)
    Rears: FXi50 black (sold)
    Sub: PSW350 (gone)
    TV: Samsung 32" LCD
  • TShand
    TShand Posts: 32
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Not yet... I was kinda hoping I could find the right fuse in an electronics store... But it seems this fuse is a very uncommon thing.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,895
    edited January 2009
    Options
    try ace hardware they have off the wall fuse's
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited January 2009
    Options
    If it blew a 2 amp fuse I would wait till you have contacted Polk.
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • timmythugs
    timmythugs Posts: 71
    edited January 2009
    Options
    If u blew a fuse it is usually a product defect. Fuses are there to prevent a fire and what not,.
  • wutadumsn23
    wutadumsn23 Posts: 3,702
    edited January 2009
    Options
    I agree with Ben and Timmy, if it is blowing fuses it is doing so for a reason. If you replace the fuse and it keeps popping new ones, there is something else wrong and looks like you will need to contact Polk to get it fixed. Eric is usually sniffing around here somewhere he can probably help you there, if not call up Polk and arrange to have it returned for service.
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Mains- Polk Audio Monitor 70
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Surrounds- Polk Audio TSi 500's :D
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Retired- Polk Audio Monitor 40's
    T.V.- 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000 LCoS
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)
    Polk Audio Monitor 10A's :cool:

It's not that I'm insensitive, I just don't care.. :D
  • cuongtlam
    cuongtlam Posts: 1
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Hi, I have noticed that a lot of people have had problems with a blown fuse. My fuse too was recently blown. When I tried to replace the fuse with similar rated fuse (1.6 AL 250VP), it immediately blows when I turn on the subwoofer. Based on the threads posted here particularly from Ken, it seems the subwoofer is having a issue with the amp.

I bought this subwoofer a year ago from Circuit City. If I send in the amp, will Polk fix this for free. If not how much will it cost?

Also, do I have to send it to this address (below), or could I take it to a local contractor.

Service Center Shipping Address:
    Polk Audio
    2550 Britannia Blvd
    Suite A
    San Diego, CA 92154

Thanks,

Cuong
  • apphd
    apphd Posts: 1,514
    edited June 2009
    Options
    cuongtlam wrote: »
    Hi, I have noticed that a lot of people have had problems with a blown fuse. My fuse too was recently blown. When I tried to replace the fuse with similar rated fuse (1.6 AL 250VP), it immediately blows when I turn on the subwoofer. Based on the threads posted here particularly from Ken, it seems the subwoofer is having a issue with the amp.

I bought this subwoofer a year ago from Circuit City. If I send in the amp, will Polk fix this for free. If not how much will it cost?

Also, do I have to send it to this address (below), or could I take it to a local contractor.

Service Center Shipping Address:
    Polk Audio
    2550 Britannia Blvd
    Suite A
    San Diego, CA 92154

Thanks,

Cuong

CC was an authorized dealer, there is a 3 year warranty, so if you have your receipt, or registered the sub with Polk, I would say no worries.
    But I would not just send something to them. Contact them first as you probably need an RA number first. Also not sure if they have one service depot or more than one scattered around so they would tell you where and how to send what you need to send (probably just the amp).

Good luck and welcome to CP
  • Eric W
    Eric W Posts: 556
    edited June 2009
    Options
    If you're having issues with your subwoofer blowing fuses, please contact us first:

800-377-7655 Option 1
    -Eric
    -Polk Audio