Difficult to Hear Dialogue

geekmedic
geekmedic Posts: 78
edited February 2003 in Troubleshooting
My apologies for posting this in the Troubleshooting forum. I couldn't find a forum that this really fit into.

I'm finding it difficult to hear dialogue in movies without cranking up the volume. Whenever I crank up the volume though, that sudden loud musical score nearly deafens me. The result is that I'm constantly turning up and down the volume to compromise between hearing the dialogue and not offending the upstairs neighbor (I'm in an apartment).

Any suggestions? Is it possible that a better center channel speaker will resolve this? My budget is limited, so I can't afford to get LSi series speakers.

Here's my setup:

Onkyo TX-SR600 receiver (DTS-ES, DD-EX 6.1, etc.)
Polk R50 pair as fronts
Polk CSi20 as center channel
Polk R20 pair as rear surrounds
Polk PSW202 sub

What difference, if any, would I see if I upgraded to the CSi30? Would that help enhance the dialogue? I could then use the CSi20 as a rear surround. The CSi40 is out of the question since it is not timber matched to my setup (unless someone advises me otherwise).

Thanks for all your help!
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. - Albert Einstein
Post edited by geekmedic on

Comments

• Ceruleance
    Ceruleance Posts: 991
    edited January 2003
    The problem you are having is due to the large difference in the efficiency of your speakers. Efficiency is a measure of how loud a speaker will play with a given power input. your mains are 90 db/watt/meter while your center is 87. 3 decibels may not sound like a lot, but since it is a logarithmic scale, it ends up being about twice as loud. Upgrading to a CSi30 would solve the problem, but only coincidentally because the CSi30 is a more efficient speaker (just because a speaker is efficeint doesn't mean it is necessairily better, just louder) Anyways, there is a very simple fix for this. It is possible on almost all modern receivers to adjust the gain of individual speakers. Im not sure how to do it on your onkyo, but look it up in the manual. Use your receivers controls to dial up the center channel's volume a couple notches until dialogue is audible while everything else is at a comfortable level. Sorry for the long explanation..
    .. I actually just took the liberty to look up the way to do it for your particular receiver from the online manual,

IGNORE all the above crapola and just do this to fix it.

Press the up and down keys on your receiver to get to '3. Level Calibration' on the main menu of your receiver, press enter, then go down to center and adjust it to +3 db (ideally, you might want it higher or lower, play around with it)
  • geekmedic
    edited January 2003
    Ceruleance, thanks for the quick reply!

I actually do have the center channel already set to +3 dB.

I wish it were as simple as that to fix. :(
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2003
    The Onkyo should have some DSP modes on it that may help. Night time modes and what not.
    Set center to small and crank to +6 if you have to . Other than that maybe a different center.
    Oh, one more thing that may help crank up the sound of the TV itself may help.
  • dbournival
    dbournival Posts: 131
    edited January 2003
    How do you have your speakers wired? Is your sub wired with your mains or with a separate sub cable?
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited January 2003
    Have you calibrated your system properly using an SPL Meter?
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • geekmedic
    edited January 2003
    The sub is wired using Monster sub wire connected to the sub out port. Connects to the L port on the sub (does not have a Y connector to split the wire into L/R, wire is only connected to L).

The speakers were calibrated. I'll try recalibrating them to make sure everything is ok again. (I calibrated them from my normal seating position, I assume that's what I'm supposed to do.)
  • kberg
    kberg Posts: 974
    edited January 2003
    I've noticed that depending on the source material, dialogue is not always as prominant as one might prefer (key word "prefer"), even after one has calibrated the center properly with respect to all other speakers - so, I sometimes just crank the center channel temporarily from my Onkyo remote (when I do this, it is only a temporary change and doesn't affect the permanent settings which can only be done by going into the Level Calibration menu directly).

Boosting the center isn't usually required for me in most situations, especially for today's recordings, but it also depends on the listener as well, so it can be subjective. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if many of you folks out there boost your center by 1 or 2 dB higher than your mains on a permanent basis.
    Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
    Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
    Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
    Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
    Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
    Display: JVC HD-56G786
    DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
    Remote: Logitech Harmony H688
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2003
    I too have to boost my center (CS400i) on occasion. WHile I think the 400i mates well with the RT800i's, and RT1000i's. dialog on some DVD movies is not always that great.

Yeah upgrading your center will help.. but it may not solve your problem completely. try setting all your fronts to small.. and see if that makes a difference.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • geekmedic
    edited January 2003
    Originally posted by kberg
    I sometimes just crank the center channel temporarily from my Onkyo remote (when I do this, it is only a temporary change and doesn't affect the permanent settings which can only be done by going into the Level Calibration menu directly).

OK, I'm really going to show my newbie side here (this is my first home theatre system, and I've only had it for less than a month)...

How do you temporarily turn up the center channel volume without going into the level calibration menu? I have the Onkyo TX-SR600, which should be very similar to your Onkyo receiver.

The only "temporary" volume adjusting that I'm familiar with is the master volume.

I'm really enjoying my home theatre system. Wish I had purchased one earlier - I've missed out on all the fun for so long!
  • kberg
    edited January 2003
    Originally posted by geekmedic

I have the Onkyo TX-SR600, which should be very similar to your Onkyo receiver.

Yeah, your receiver is "pretty" similar to mine, since it is the exact same model! :p Sorry, I couldn't resist!

Here goes:

1. Press the "RCVR" button to get it into receiver mode

2. Press the "CH SEL TOP MENU" button until you get to the desired speaker for which you can adjust the volume (you can see the speaker selected on the receiver's display)

3. Press the "ANGLE" or "SUBTITLE" button to adjust the speaker volume up or down, respectively.

Hope that helps. Let us know your results.

Kevin
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
  • geekmedic
    edited January 2003
    Thanks Kevin, I'll give it a try when I get home (on call at the hospital right now). Was this in the manual? I don't recall reading this (I read *most* of the manual, but some things I skipped).

ATC, I have a Panasonic DVD-CP67K. It has a dialogue enhancer button, but I've found that it doesn't do jack crap for most movies.
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited January 2003
    also if your sub is running hot you will not turn up the system loud enough. when i set up my ht in the liveing room temp while i bult my ht. i had the sub on the hot side and it just made my center sound weak.
  • kberg
    edited January 2003
    Originally posted by geekmedic
    Thanks Kevin, I'll give it a try when I get home (on call at the hospital right now). Was this in the manual? I don't recall reading this (I read *most* of the manual, but some things I skipped).

Check page 46 of the manual under "Temporarily changing the speaker output levels".
  • tjmmdennis
    tjmmdennis Posts: 9
    edited January 2003
    I had the same problem when I first got my system. I was constantly turning the volume up and down. It was a pain. Then I discovered a setting for dynamic range on my reciever. It was set to max. I changed it to standard and it made a huge difference. Now I put it at one volume and leave it.

On your reciever it is the late night setting i believe.

My system:
    Yamaha rxv-620
    mains - RTI70`s
    center - CS245I
    rears - FXI 50`s
    sub - PSW350
    reciever: Yamaha rx-v620
    Mains : RTi70`s
    Center : CSi40
    Rears : FXi50`s
    Sub : PSW 350
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2003
    The Onkyo should have some DSP modes on it that may help. Night time modes and what not.
    On your reciever it is the late night setting i believe.

My original suggestions always come back around. Weird!!!;)
  • tjmmdennis
    tjmmdennis Posts: 9
    edited January 2003
    I should read more carefully I guess.
    reciever: Yamaha rx-v620
    Mains : RTi70`s
    Center : CSi40
    Rears : FXi50`s
    Sub : PSW 350
  • geekmedic
    edited January 2003
    I actually don't like the nighttime setting.

I just cranked up the center channel volume (above the calibration range) and it's doing ok now.

Thanks to all who replied!
  • scottvamp
    edited February 2003
    Set center to small and crank to +6 if you have to .
    Ya - like I said!!! Way up yunder. :rolleyes:
    Research "center on steriods";)
  • dholmes
    dholmes Posts: 1,136
    edited February 2003
    Listen to scottvamp, I belong to the center on steriods club, its the way to go!!!
    My HT set-up Panasonic front proj, 120 in ws screen, ATI amp,Integra 9.8 pre-pro, 2 Polk rti150, cp 1000, 4 fx 1000, Pioneer blu-ray 2 SVS sub pb 12-ultra 2, & Paragon popcorn popper. ps 3 Coaster leather HT recliners.