3.1 for home theater?

Options
eloplayspolo
eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
edited December 2008 in Speakers
How would a 3.1 setup sound for a home theather in a small room... the tv will be viewed from about 7 feet away.
I was thinking a step above entry level polk floor speakers, a sub, and a center chan.

i know i would lose the whole surround sound... but im thinking this may be a better investment for a small room... correct me if im wrong.

if im not what polk towers would u recommend.... ive seen a lot of good deals on the monitors
2013 Toyota Prius
Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
(2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
Mosconi 6to8 v8
Post edited by eloplayspolo on

Comments

• Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    edited December 2008
    Options
    I did that till I got in my new FXi3 surrounds...

Monitor 70's for the fronts, CS2 Center with a PSW10 sub. I think it sounded fine... The surrounds help, but you can get by on a 3.1 set-up.
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited December 2008
    Options
    This may sound strange coming from me right now, but consider setting up a 2.1 channel system and place more money into your fronts instead of buying a center channel at this time. If you're gonna stick with Polk, go straight to the premium line and grab a pair of Lsi9's or 15's, especially if you'll be listening to music. You can probably find a great deal.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,041
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Also, you can use SDA's as your fronts and you will not even need a sub if you set your receiver EQ correctly. You may not even need a center as the SDA's image like crazy in the sweet spot!
  • Chitown_Badger
    Chitown_Badger Posts: 66
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Early B. wrote: »
    This may sound strange coming from me right now, but consider setting up a 2.1 channel system and place more money into your fronts instead of buying a center channel at this time. If you're gonna stick with Polk, go straight to the premium line and grab a pair of Lsi9's or 15's, especially if you'll be listening to music. You can probably find a great deal.

Assuming he has the amp or receiver to drive them. If not, this could get expensive in a hurry.

For floorstanding...monitor line and last years RTi line can be had at a deal right now.
    Fronts: Polk RTi10
    Center: Polk CSi A4
    Surround: Polk FXi3
    Sub: Dayton 100
    AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited December 2008
    Options
    In a small area, ditch the center and go 4.1
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited December 2008
    Options
    PolkThug wrote: »
    In a small area, ditch the center and go 4.1

I agree, rears are more valuable for surround sound than a center.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,930
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Early B. wrote: »
    That's probably what I would do, if 4 ohm capability is not an issue. The "phantom" center effect works very well if the seating is well positioned IMO. With the right equipment, even 2.0 can be a thrilling experience, but I like the idea of LSi for musical capability as well.

Otherwise, I like the 4.1 solution, with any of the RT(i) series speakers.

Done properly, I don't think 2.1 with LSi, or 4.1 with something else, is really much of a sacrifice.
    Alea jacta est!
  • eloplayspolo
    edited December 2008
    Options
    okay so 2.1... like im running now with crap yamaha bookshelfs and a terrible sony sub and a terrible receiver..... only with a good receiver and speakers and subs.

if im going to be watching from a bed, laying down with my girlfriend laying on my chest ( :) ), would i be better off with some surrounds mounted up high angled down at me?
    2013 Toyota Prius
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • eloplayspolo
    edited December 2008
    Options
    are the Polk Audio R50 worth 58 dollars each?
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • eloplayspolo
    edited December 2008
    Options
    bump
    i need to know asap its not gonna be on sale and i can still call them and get it on sale tomarow
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • eloplayspolo
    edited December 2008
    Options
    ii can get them for 48 dollars eaech!!!!!! should i buy 4? for my rears also?
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • RutgersFTW
    RutgersFTW Posts: 458
    edited December 2008
    Options
    I'd skip the rears, man. 2.0 or 2.1.

At that price you can certainly check them out and see if you like them. They should be an improvement over what you have. Also consider grabbing a pair of Monitor or RTi series Polks from the eBay store for a little more. They should be a big improvement.
    Currently listening to:

Marantz SR5004
    Sony BDP-S370
    Apple TV V2
    Audio Technica AT-LP120
    Mirage CMD-5 x 5
    Bic H-100
  • Kchill
    Kchill Posts: 260
    edited December 2008
    Options
    200 bucks, get a center for about 70 bucks...can't go wrong there.
    Retired Onkyo 520 (returned broken HK 247)
    Now a Pioneer 1018
    CSi3
    2- RTI10's
    2- R50's
    2- Fxi3's
    Onkyo 250W Sub
    Polk psw-10

"Inch by inch lifes a cinch, yard by yard life is hard"
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,557
    edited December 2008
    Options
    I run 3.1. The center really has to be there for the dialog
    The Mrs. refuses to allow the surround speakers. I had RTI4 and RTI 6
    speakers to go with the RTI 10's, but I ended up selling them, and I don't
    really miss not having them. Strangely enough, the SVS she didn't seem to mind. :confused:
    I rarely watch movies, and go upstairs to the 2-channel for music.
    Build the best 3.1 for now, then decide to add on later.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson