PSW650 turning off with dial AND humming noises with shock!

Options
infinitiqx4
infinitiqx4 Posts: 80
edited January 2003 in Troubleshooting
Please note, I originally posted this in speakers but realized it might fit better here. The link is http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7502 and the content is:

PSW650 turning off with dial AND humming noises with shock!
1. Whenever I adjust the volume dial on the front of the PSW650, the sub turns off for a few seconds. Is this normal?

2. This problem is unrelated and has happened twice now. My sub is on a metal cabinet with everything else since I have no space in my dorm room. But with this dry winter weather I can get shocks from touching the TV or cabinet... then the subwoofer turns on and starts a humming sound. If I turn on a source to the sub then the hum goes away. In a few months the weather will get better and I'll be moving to a larger space... but how bad is this in the meantime?
Post edited by infinitiqx4 on

Comments

• scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2003
    Options
    My sub is on a metal cabinet with everything else since I have no space in my dorm room.
    I do not know what to say - did you say a metal cabinet.
    Never put a sub inside ANY cabinet. Sounds like it is messsed up. Turning up or down the volume and it shuts off - that would be a big not normal.:eek:
    Contact Polk Customer Service.
  • infinitiqx4
    infinitiqx4 Posts: 80
    edited January 2003
    Options
    The cabinet isn't solid. It is one of the heavy-duty wire mesh frame ones. So the subwoofer isn't surrounded by anything that would mess up sound. It just sits in the corner, but the cabinet goes up around it to hold the TV and other stuff. But I think that the metal can conduct static electricity since the posts are relatively close and that the subwoofer is either giving or receiving the shocks.

A picture can be found here:
    http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000066R0L.16.LXXXXXXX.jpg