**Rock and Roll Reminiscing BBBB**

Options
Paul Connor
Paul Connor Posts: 231
edited June 2011 in Music & Movies
Ok guys. This starts off week number two and the B category.

Let's try this:

Buckingham Nicks. 1973. This was Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks before joining Fleetwood Mac. If you do not own this album, it is a must find for all 70's Fleetwood Mac fans. The problem is that it has never been released on CD. (that I know of) I have seen it on EBay, but sealed copies are rare. If for no other reason the nude photograph of Stevie Nicks on the cover is: BOING!
Personal favorite tracks include: Crying in the Night, Long Distance Winner and Crystal (later done by Fleetwood Mac)

David Bowie. The Man who Sold the World. Released in 1973. The title track is my personal favorite. For vinyl collectors the album was released in several different jackets, one of which features David in a long satin dress. These are pretty hard to find. This album is available on CD. Correct me if I am wrong in assuming The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars is his best work ever. Maybe guitarist Mick Ronson had something to do with this.

Party on Garth!
Post edited by Paul Connor on

Comments

• avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I gotta go with Boston here.

The "Boston" album released in September 1976 by Sony.

This album has some of the best 70's rock songs for that decade. From "More than a Feeling", "Smokin", "Longtime", "Hitch a Ride", to "Gonna Take You Home Tonight". Just an overall great album.

Boston had some other great songs, but not one other album of theirs can hold a candle to it.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Gotta love classic Boston.....

Actually, I think Third Stage had some of thier best material.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited January 2003
    Options
    i think that black sabith was a 70's act the one with iron man was a good abulm and i actuley have.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by avelanchefan
    Boston had some other great songs, but not one other album of theirs can hold a candle to it.

I second that. Third Stage - no kiddin' Troy? What's the reasoning? Personally, I thought Third Stage went a little glitzy, soft, mainstream.

"Boston" is pure rock soul - a true classic. Every song Avelanche mentioned, and the music and words spring into my mind.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Oh, make no mistake, the original Boston album is my fave. Third Stage, seemed to be largely dismissed, but I thought it was a great album. Agreed, a little softer but one I enjoy nonethe less.

Amanda is one of my fave ballads, We're Ready, Cool the Engines, Cantcha Say.....all good stuff IMO.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • jgido759
    jgido759 Posts: 572
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Two of my favorites from that era, in addition to Boston, would have to be Bad Company & Bachman Turner Overdrive (BTO). Although a little more "commercial" than Boston, the combined talents of Paul Rodgers (Free) and Mick Ralphs (Mott The Hoople) made Bad Company a staple of 70's Rock & Roll. And although "Takin' Care Of Business" is a little lame, Randy Bachman (Guess Who) & BTO made some really decent "feel good" music.
    Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support
    group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.
    -Drew Carey

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
    -Unknown

My DVD Collection
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Well I guess any discussion about Rock and Roll starting with the letter "B" would have to include The Beatles and The Beach Boys. Maybe the two most influential bands in the history of R&R. They competed with each other and their music was influenced by the other. The entire catelog of both bands is worth mentioning and is significant. If I had to pick one form each it would be;

The White Album - Beatles -I could go over all of the significant details of this one...but I will just mention a few songs, "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", "Helter Skelter", "Revolution #9", "Happiness Is a Warm Gun", "Rocky Racoon", "Back In The USSR", etc...etc...(I could probably name the whole song list).

Pet Sounds - The Beach Boys - One of the most sonically original albums for its time, both in its writing and recording. Wouldn't It Be Nice", "Sloop John B", "God Only Knows", "Caroline No", etc... There is a short 50 sec. track on the album called "Unreleased Backgrounds". Put it on and turn up the vol. The harmony and blend of the voices is amazing. Brian Wilson could hear music in his head that he was able to write down that had never been heard before. Much like the accounts of some of the great classical composers.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • shack
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Now for a few more of my favorite B's:

Blue

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • mhw58
    mhw58 Posts: 359
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I agree with Shack that the B's start with the Beatles and
    Beach Boys. I'm a Beatlemaniac and love all their stuff
    but Rubber Soul, Revolver, Pepper, the White Album and
    Abbey Road are musts.
    The Beach Boys Good Vibrations box is a great place to start
    as it covers their entire career and has some great Smile
    stuff on it.
    Let's also mention the Band as they were incredible, check
    out the Last Waltz dvd.
    Chuck Berry is one of the most influential rock artists ever,
    check out his great 28 cd.
    Mike
    Fronts: SDA1C's
    Rears: SDA2's
    Center:CS400i
    Sub: PSW505
  • Paul Connor
    edited January 2003
    Options
    goinggozo mentioned Black Sabbath yesterday. I had nearly forgotten them, so on my way to work last night I picked up a copy of Paranoid on cassette (Wal-Mart $3.49) and played it about three times in the car. Whoa! Iron Man! Dig out that Sabbath!
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Paul, thanks for backing me up. Weekend trip to “Hill Country” went into O/T…

A lot of good “B’s” already listed above. My favorite, Bowie, IMO one of the greatest Rock artists of the century. So much music, so many personas…
    My collection:
    Hunky Dory – vinyl reissue (1971 RCA – AYL 1-3844/ AFL1-4623) / CD (1971/1990 Rycodisc “Sound+Vision” – RCD 10133)
    (The rise and Fall of) Ziggy Stardust (and the Spiders from Mars) – CD (1972/1990 Rycodisc “Sound+Vision” – RCD 10134)
    Title cut just came on the Cable Classic Rock as I was typing this…. Can’t believe I sold the album in ’74 for $3…
    Pinups – import vinyl reissue (1973/1981 RCA International – NL 86453)
    Diamond Dogs – vinyl (1974 RCA – CPL1-0576)
    Young Americans – CD (1975/1991 Rycodisc “Sound+Vision” – RCD 10140)
    STATIONTOSTATION – CD (1976/1991 Rycodisc “Sound+Vision” – RCD 10141)
    ”Heroes” – CD (1977/1991 Rycodisc “Sound+Vision” – RCD 10143)
    Stage – Dbl CD (1977/1991 Rycodisc “Sound+Vision” – RCD 10144/45)
    Lodger – vinyl reissue (1979 RCA – AYL1-4243/ AQL1-3254)
    Let’s Dance – vinyl (1983 EMI America – SO-17093)
    Tonite – vinyl (1984 EMI America – SJ-17138)
    ChangesBowie – CD (1990 Rycodisc “Sound+Vision” – RCD 20171)
    Strangely the release Paul mentioned is about all I am missing…

In the fall of ’72 “Ziggy” was released in America. In it’s first month it sold 200,000 copies, of which 100,000 were sold in the greater Cleveland, Ohio area, thanks in no small measure to a then WMMS FM DJ, Billy Bass (a live person, not the mechanical fish). It was for this reason that Bowie chose Cleveland to kick-off his first American tour in the winter of ‘72/’73 … and I was there, 4th row balcony, center, in Cleveland’s Music Hall, to see it. One of the best concerts I’ve seen. I can’t believe it was the only time I ever saw him live.

Just before Christmas AMC was playing a concert film of his final performance as Ziggy recorded at London’s Hammersmith Theatre. Grainy footage, mediocre sound, but a treat nonetheless that I recommend. My VCR will be waiting next time.

Also watch for his two-hour episode of “Biography” on A&E. A number of new tidbits come to light, even for hardcore followers. Biggest, for me, was finally understanding what was up with his eyes. Always had the impression they were different colors. Wrong. His left was damaged in a schoolboy fight and four surgeries later its vision was saved, but its pupil was permanently dilated.

OK, I admit it; he lost me with “Tin Machine”, but from what I’ve heard of his new release, it sounds like he might be back, for me anyway.

Artist Album(s) Posted by:
    Buckingham Nicks Buckingham Nicks - 1973 Paul Connor
    David Bowie. The Man who Sold the World – 1973Hunky Dory - 1971/1990 Rycodisc(The rise and Fall of) Ziggy Stardust (and the Spiders from Mars) 1972/1990 RycodiscPinups 1973/1981 RCA InternationalDiamond Dogs 1974 RCAYoung Americans 1975/1991 RycodiscSTATIONTOSTATION 1976/1991 Rycodisc”Heroes” 1977/1991 RycodiscStage 1977/1991 RycodiscLodger 1979 RCALet’s Dance 1983 EMI AmericaTonite 1984 EMI AmericaChangesBowie 1990 Rycodisc Paul ConnorTour2ma
    Boston Boston - September 1976 SonyThird Stage AvelanchefanTroyD
    Black Sabbath Black SabbathParanoid GoingganzoPaul Connor
    Bad Company Bad Company10 from 6 jgido759RuSsMaN
    Bachman Turner Overdrive (BTO). jgido759
    The Beatles The White AlbumRubber SoulRevolverPepper Abbey Road Shackmhw58
    The Beach Boys Pet SoundsGood Vibrations box Shackmhw58
    Blue Öyster Cult Blue Öyster CultTyranny and MutationAgents of Fortune, (1976)Fire Of An Unknown Origin (1981 shack
    Jackson Browne Late For The Sky shack
    Jimmy Buffett Far Side of The World shack
    The Band The Last Waltz dvd mhw58
    Chuck Berry great 28 cd mhw58
    Blind Faith Blind Faith 1969 Polydor/Mobile Fidelity F1nut
    Jeff Beck Truth - 1968/2000 Epic/SonyBeck-Ola/Cosa Nostra - 1969/1990 EMI F1nut
    (It’s a) Beautiful Day (It’s a) Beautiful Day – 1968/1981 EmbassyMarrying Maiden Tour2ma
    BBA Beck, Bogert and Appice Tour2ma
    Beastie Boys License to Ill (1986 Def Jam)The In Sound from Way Out - Capitol/Grand Royal Avelanchefanwoodyjacobs
    Bjork Debut Tour2ma
    The Byrds (Untitled) - 1970 Sony/Mobile Fidelity F1nut
    Elvin Bishop Juke Joint Jump - 1975 Capricorn F1nut
    Blondie The Platinum Collection - CD (1994 Chrysalis/ EMIParallel Lines - MFSL Tour2ma
    Blues Image Red, White and Blues Image –vinyl (1970 Atlantic Tour2ma
    Beck Mutations - Geffen/Bong Load woodyjacobs
    Blood Sweat and Tears Child Is Father to the ManBlood Sweat and Tears – 1969Blood Sweat and Tears 3Hits (Columbia) ShackTour2ma
    Pat Benetar In the Heat of the Night – 1979 Chrysalis Crimes of Passion – 1980 Chrysalis Tour2ma
    Tracey Bonham The Burdens of Being Upright - 1996 Island Tour2ma
    Black Oak Arkansas Raunch & Roll joe6pak
    BoDeans Love & Hope & Sex & Dreams - 1986 Warner Bros F1nut
    Bloodrock Bloodrock2 1970 Capitol gidrah
    Billy Thorpe Children of the Sun RuSsMaN
    Boxcar Willie Louisiana Saturday Night RuSsMaN
    Big Bopper Chantilly Lace RuSsMaN
    Berlin The Metro, No more words, Take my breath away RuSsMaN
    Black Crowes Hard to handle, Could I've been so blind, Remedy RuSsMaN
    Blues Traveler Hook, Runaround, But anyway RuSsMaN
    Blues Brothers Briefcase Full of Blues RuSsMaN
    BEE GEES Paul Connor
    Budgie abmarsh
    Big Brother and the Holding Company abmarsh
    Breaking Benjiman Saturate MxStYlEp…
    Banana Blender Surprise Live at the Black Cat – 1994 Secret Ingredient Records Tour2ma
    b-tribe ¡fiesta fatal! – 1993 Atlantic Tour2ma
    Big Head Todd and the Monsters sister sweetly – 1993 Giant RecordsCarzy World (1998) Tour2maavelanchefan
    **** Surfers Electric Larryland – 1996 Capitol Tour2ma
    Badfinger Paul Connor
    Anita Baker Rapture, 1986 Giving You The Best That I Got, 1988 pensacola
    BIG TWIST & THE MELLOW FELLOWS BIG TWIST & THE MELLOW FELLOWS 1980 Flying Fish Records F1nut
    Kate Bush The Whole Story – 1987Kick Inside - 1977 Hounds Of Love - 1985 shack
    Michelle Branch The Spirit Room - 2001 shack
    Buffalo Springfield Retrospective Tour2ma
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Blind Faith - 1969 Polydor/Mobile Fidelity UDCD 507 Gold CD

The all-star group with Eric Clapton, Steve Winwood, Ginger Baker and Rick Grech. They released this classic in '69, toured once and split up. The songs just flow from "Had To Cry Today" to the "Do What You Like" jam at the end. Highly recommended.

Jeff Beck:
    Truth - 1968/2000 Epic/Sony EK66085 CD
    Beck-Ola/Cosa Nostra - 1969/1990 EMI TOCP-6318 Japanese CD

The guitar master with Rod Stewart, Ron Woods and Nicky Hopkins. Early Beck at his best and just plain old great rock and roll.

I'd just like to say that Bowie's "Ziggy" has to be my all time favorite. Be sure to follow the instructions on the back cover, "To Be Played At Maximum Volume", it's the only way to experience it!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Tour2ma
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Good call F1... Blind Faith was the original "supergroup", before that tag was minted. Ginger's double bass drum role in "Do what..." is awesome... Only copy I have is a very old, surgically salvaged C-90 that is actually playing, warble and all.... Another for the buy-list, assuming it’s available.

No big whoop here, but make me choose a Bowie recording, and I lean slightly towards “Hunky Dory”. When looking for Blind Faith tape, I found that I’ve a couple other DB’s on tape: “Space Oddity”, “The Man Who Sold the World”, and “Aladdin Insane”. Pretty well fleshes out my collection.

Man, look at the list so far. The B's are a gold mine... I can remember an AM station "Battle of the Bands" heavyweight match-up, "Beatles vs Beach Boys".

At the risk of violating my own guideline, I'll offer up "(It's a) Beautiful Day". Could argue it’s an “I”, but it’s in my vinyl “B’s”.

(It’s a) Beautiful Day – vinyl (1968/1981 reissue Embassy – EMB 31930)
    Marrying Maiden – C-90 (info N/A)
    Their self-titled debut is one of the great “cult” albums from the 60’s. From David LaFlame’s Electric violin, strong voice and strangely beautiful lyrics to his wife’s (Linda) Harpsichord this Bill Graham produced treasure is just a wonderful, “flower power” listen from “White Bird” through “Girl with No Eyes” and onto “Time Is”.
    I remember seeing the CD at Amazon once, but that was a while ago.
    There was another follow-up album, in addition to “Marrying Maiden”, each with a decent track or two, plus a “live” album. But the self-titled debut was just too strong, and the group faded. LaFlame even remade most of the album and released it between the time of the original and reissue dates, but it paled compared to the original.

Gotta go… tape just got to “Sea of Joy”so "do What..." is not far behind… :cool: … peace
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Tour2ma
    edited January 2003
    Options
    And on the other side of the tape:

BBA - Beck, Bogert and Appice
    Had completely forgot they covered Stevie Wonder's "Superstition". Not the best track on the album, by a long shot, but has its moments.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Another one to mention is the:

Beastie Boys (1986 Def Jam)
    License to Ill

Probably one of the first album's that used the now popualar and overused Rock/Rap style.

Three classic songs stand out to me on this album, Fight For Your Right, No Sleep Till Brooklyn, and Paul Revere.

Beastie Boys had some other great songs, and albums for that matter (Pauls Boutique, and Hello Nasty) as well as some great songs (Sabatoge comes to mind.....classic video). But License to Ill set the bar and opened up a whole new way to explore music. Now its old hat since a lot of bands do it today, but I gotta give props to the fellas that made it happen.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • Tour2ma
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Beastie Boys… I’m with you AveFan (frustrated Flyer fan here)… Some good, groundbreaking stuff that many won’t give a chance because it’s “Rap”. I probably would not have either, but my then teenage daughter did not give me a choice.

My post of the day, Bjork…

Debut – CD (~1990 – info N/A)
    My daughter “borrowed” this disc about three years ago. I just repurchased it today from BMG.

MTV, back when they actually focused on playing videos, was playing “Human Behavior”, and it hooked me on this quirky little Icelander. Didn’t quite know what to make of this CD at first. It’s very strange, to say the least, with plenty of counter-melodies and an arrhythmic cut or two, at times even bordering on off-key. Actually put it up after one listen for about a year, but when I finally took it back out I had one of those, “WTH was I thinking,” experiences on the way to loving it. I found it made a nice “shuffle play” contribution to a “sex mix” in the old 5-disc Sony.

Bjork has quite a catalog now. I’d love to hear recommendations on her other releases.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• F1nut
    edited January 2003
    Options
    The Byrds (Untitled) - 1970 Sony/Mobile Fidelity UDCD 722 Gold CD

The first 7 songs are live and the rest is studio. Contains the 16 minute jam, "Eight Miles High" which, back when this came out is about where I was.

Elvin Bishop/Juke Joint Jump - 1975 Capricorn 314 588 015-2 CD

Kinda blues/country/rock with a playful twist to the lyrics,".....ya got occupational hazards in music like hotels, motels, rental cars, social disease, hamburgers, hotdogs....."

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Zen Dragon
    Zen Dragon Posts: 501
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by shack
    Well I guess any discussion about Rock and Roll starting with the letter "B" would have to include The Beatles and The Beach Boys.

The White Album - Beatles -I could go over all of the significant details of this one...but I will just mention a few songs, "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", "Helter Skelter", "Revolution #9", "Happiness Is a Warm Gun", "Rocky Racoon", "Back In The USSR", etc...etc...(I could probably name the whole song list).

I agree...
    You know I just love Bluesy Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Bluesy AC/DC, The Moody Blues, Early Sabbath, Rainbow...but If I had a gun to my head and had to pick just one Album...It always comes back to the Beatles White Album. Great Balance, Great Lyrics. It just moves me.
    The Family
    Polk SDA-1C's
    Polk SDA-2
    Polk Monitor 10B's
    Polk LSI-9's
    Polk Monitor 5's
    Polk 5 jr's
    Polk PSW-450 Sub
    Polk CSI40 Center

Do not one day come to die, and discover you have not lived.
    This is pretty f***ed up right here.
  • Tour2ma
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Blondie
    The Platinum Collection - CD (1994 Chrysalis/ EMI - D 206364)
    Really all you need is in this collection, 47 tracks on 2 CD's. It covers them from the early days through their break-out with "Heart of Glass" ("Once fell in love and it was a gas… Soon turned out to be a pain in the ****") through “The Tide is High” and onto “Rapture”. If there ever was such a thing as Punk-Chic`, Debbie Harry was it. A former Playboy bunny turned rock temptress, she was THE hot, tough rock chic (before Pat Benetar, another “B”, came along). Check out the movie “Videodrome” to see how hot. OK, her acting was not great, but she’s gotten better. VH1’s “Behind the Music” has done a nice show on this group.

Blues Image
    Red, White and Blues Image –vinyl (1970 Atlantic – ATCO SD 33-348)
    Make that “cut-out bin” vinyl… God, I miss flipping through cut-out bins for little gems on the cheap, or the full-price vinyl stacks for that matter. Rifling through CD’s at Best Buy just doesn’t generate the same feel or sound. :(
    Anyway, I believe this was Blues Image’s, 2nd , and last, album. It’s not a cut-out bin gem, but not a bad effort either. Nothing on it quite measured up to their hit from album #1, “Ride Captain Ride”, which I have on 45 (ATCO from LP 33-317) and in stereo no less.
    “Blues Image” holds a special place in my heart as they were the opening act in the first concert I ever saw in the summer of ‘69. I thought they were great and was concerned they might upstage the headliner. More on this next week in the “C’s”, for now I’ll just say, they didn’t…
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• woodyjacobs
    woodyjacobs Posts: 706
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Ok, what's left of the B's

Beck - Every CD has been a keeper but let's go with "Mutations" (Geffen/Bong Load DGCD-25309). Reminds me a lot of late-era Beatles. Just a fantastic CD. Mostly acoustic.

avalanchefan got in ahead of me with Beastie Boys...but didn't mention one of their best CDs - "The In Sound from Way Out" (Capitol/Grand Royal CDP 7243 8 33590 2 8. THIS IS NOT A RAP RECORD. There is no rapping on it. None. Fear not. It is a compilation of instrumental stuff and outtakes from their Paul's Boutique, Check Your Head and Ill Communication albums. It's very funky...sounds like the soundtrack (minus vocals) to an unreleased "Shaft" movie.
    system 1:
    Athena: AS-F1 mains, AS-C1 center, AS-B1 surrounds, AS-P400 sub, Yammie RXV-730, Rotel RB-976 driving front stage, Samsung BD3600 Blue Ray, Denon DVD2900 for sacd/cd , jbl n24awII on the deck, samsung 40" 1080p lcd

system 2:
    XBox 360 Spherex 5.1 system, HK DVD38, Phillips CDC 926 CD changer, Phillips 32" LCD

2 channel
    NAD 1600 pre, NAD 2400 THX amp, Phillips CDC 926, Linn extra speaks, crappy TT
  • shack
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Blood Sweat and Tears - "Blood Sweat and Tears" - 1969 (actually their second album). Not many people are aware of their first album "Child Is Father to the Man" which came out in 1968. David Clayton Thomas is recognized as the front man and the voice of BST but few know that Al Kooper (a big name in the 60s) started the band. The first album is very good and is considered to be one of Kooper's better accomplisments. He was not on the 2nd and subsequent albums (booted out I think).

The second album turned out to be one of the classic albums of the late 60's with considerable commercial success. "Somtimes In Winter", "And When I Die", "God Bless The Child" "Spinning Wheel" and "You've Made Me So Very Happy" all got airplay.

"Blood Sweat and Tears 3" had a few songs that got airplay mainly because of the success of the second album most notably "Hi-De-Ho" and "Lucretia MacEvil". They made several albums after this but never had much success.

The 1st and 2nd (and maybe the 3rd) are the ones to own. I have the 1st, 2nd and 3rd on vinyl and recently purchased the 2nd on SACD stereo. Very very nice.

• Tour2ma
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Woody, I tuned into “Austin City Limits” a couple weeks ago, and there was Beck acoustically exposing his countrified roots. Pretty interesting. He was just fixin’ to crank it up when I had to go somewhere.

Shack, BST… yeah. And again with the solid facts. Cooper was all over “Child is…” and the change to the self-styled 2nd release was dramatic. Only BST I have is a Columbia hits collection on CD and vinyl, just enough to remind me of how much I liked them.

A couple of chicks from me today…

Pat Benetar
    In the Heat of the Night – vinyl (1979 Chrysalis – CHR 1236)
    Crimes of Passion – vinyl (1980 Chrysalis – CHR 1275)
    As I mentioned yesterday, Pat inherited the tough girl crown from Debbie Harry, but came to the title equipped with a much stronger voice. I believe this is owed to some operatic training in her upbringing.
    Came on strong with songs like, “Heartbreaker” and Don’t Let It Show”, and followed up with “Treat Me Right’, “Hit Me with Your Best Shot” and “Hell is for Children”.
    I’m probably as fond of Pat’s music as I am because it’s the first I can remember enjoying with my then teenage daughter. But I have to say that in my mind this music has not stood up to time all that well.

Tracey Bonham
    The Burdens of Being Upright – CD (1996 Island – 314-524 187-2
    “Mother Mother” was the airplay track off this effort and it is very strong. It showed two things: first, Tracey can play guitar; and second, she’s carrying some serious baggage. Most of the rest of the tracks support both points. This is pretty good stuff, but I never heard a follow-up. Could be Tracey was a little too prophetic in track 7, entitled “One Hit Wonder”.

Hey, there are still more “B’s” out there. Suck it up! We still have half a week to go.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• joe6pak
    joe6pak Posts: 267
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Lots of good Bs have been listed. Here are two more.

Black Oak Arkansas. Their best album has to be "Raunch & Roll." It is live, which is where this band was at its best. Anyone who got to see this show will know what I mean. These guys were high, high energy. They were Sex, drugs, rock&roll, defined. 120 percent effort was put out by Jim Dandy & Friends.

Now I figure this group will get some flames, but I think they just have to be mentioned. Bee Gees. Discounting their disco years, these guys put out some good rock&roll. While I did not like all their music they just kept on being inventive and successful. Of course now they are down to two brothers left. O.K. I will throw out the first Bee Gees flame. They did Disco, and Disco sucks.

Hey Tour2ma.

I did not get in on the A list last week. I noticed you mentioned Audience, House on the Hill. Have you heard their album titled "Lunch."?

joe
  • F1nut
    edited January 2003
    Options
    BoDeans/Love & Hope & Sex & Dreams - 1986 Warner Bros. 25403-1 Vinyl

I must have liked something about this LP, but I'll be damned if I can remember what.

President of Club Polk

• Tour2ma
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by joe6pak
    Black Oak Arkansas.

Hey Tour2ma.

I did not get in on the A list last week. I noticed you mentioned Audience, House on the Hill. Have you heard their album titled "Lunch."?

Joe,

Many thanks for your Black Oak Arkansas contribution. Brain cell holding this tidbit hasn't been synapsed in a long, long time.

Once a LOTW is launched it is forever open. Feel free to add to the A's anytime.

Never heard "Lunch", could you post me a comparison to "House..." back in the "AAAA" thread? I'll watch for it...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Bloodrock - Bloodrock2 1970 Capitol. The song D.O.A. is great.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Bad Co - 10 from 6

Billy Thorpe - Children of the Sun

BTO - Taking Care of Business

Byrds (the) - Tambourine Man, Turn Turn Turn

Boxcar Willie - Louisiana Saturday Night

Tony Bennet - It had to be You

Big Bopper - Chantilly Lace

Bill Haley and the Comets - Rock around the clock

Buddy Holly - Peggy Sue, That'll be the day

BJ Thomas - Raindrops keep failling on my head

Berlin - The Metro, No more words, Take my breath away

Billy Squire - Loney is the night, Everybody wants you, Stroke me

Black Crowes - Hard to handle, Could I've been so blind, Remedy

Blues Traveler - Hook, Runaround, But anyway

Blues Brothers - Soul man, Rubber Biscuit, Sweet home Chicago

Bob Marley - Get up Stand up, I shot the Sheriff

Bruce Hornsby and the Range - Mandolin Rain, The way it is

Brother Cane - Fools shine on, Lie in the Bed I Make

Buck Cherry - Lit up

**** Surfers - Pepper

Beethoven - 5th, 6th, and 9th Symphony. Missa Solemnis D major.

Bach - Toccata & Fugue in D minor, Jauchzet Frohlocket Empire Brass

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Paul Connor
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Glad someone finally mentioned Pat Benetar. I'm not sure that her music has held up that well, but at the time she was a chick rocker that could come out on stage, rip your balls off and feed them to you.

BEE GEES. This was a great group that got a bad rap because of the disco label that was unfairly attached to them. Disco was and is dance music. It was around before "disco" and still exists today. Listen the the brothers Gibb pre 1975 and you will find some outstanding music. They also wrote some pretty good stuff post disco.

(off topic, sorry) Here is a memorable quote:

"Disco does not suck" --Beavis and Butthead

Blondie anyone?
  • abmarsh
    abmarsh Posts: 109
    edited January 2003
    Options
    There was a Canadian band of the late 70s/early 80s named Budgie that I always liked.
    Let's not forget Big Brother and the Holding Company.
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Breaking Benjiman - Shallow Bay, Medicate, Wish I may, Skin
    Their Album is Saturate - CD

Bon Jovi - Its my Life - dunno the album, and its on CD!

Here is my TWO! Breaking Benjiman ROCKS! Their CD Saturate...ROCKS!
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC