bad driver on ls 50?

ken brydson
ken brydson Posts: 8,640
edited January 2003 in Troubleshooting
I have a pair of LS 50's that I got in 1996. They've always sounded great but recently one of them has developed some distortion and a "buzzy" sound. I thought it might be my amp or speaker wires but after some fiddling isolated one of the drivers that was making the sound. I popped it out and disconnected the wires and the speaker sounds good again. Could it be something else other than the driver itself like internal wiring or crossovers or?? I don't want to spend the $$ to repace the driver and have it be something else.
Post edited by ken brydson on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    edited January 2003
    I'm not clear about something, did you disconnect the driver in question and then everything else sounded ok or did you disconnect it and then re-connect it which resulted in that driver playing ok again?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ken brydson
    edited January 2003
    I left it disconnected. The remaining speakers sound good now because the distortion was coming from the one I had disconnected. I ordered a new one today. The CS guy I talked to was fairly sure it was the driver.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    edited January 2003
    Ok, it sounds like a bad voice coil. You could swap the questionable driver with a known good one and if it still sounds like crap, then you have a bad driver. Let us know.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ken brydson
    edited January 2003
    Will do. They're shipping it Monday so I should have it by Wed