1st Impressions

Tour2ma
Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
edited January 2003 in Forum Testing Area
Just spent a couple hours on my first mini-tour of the site. Have to say I am impressed with the helpfulness of my fellow Polk owners as well as (for the most part) the humor on display...

One troublesome thought did recur throughout the tour... the willingness of posters to list/ show 10's of 1000's of dollars of equipment in their systems... afterall this is the internet.. (never understood this in the old "Stereo Review" features either). Examples range from the System Showcase to the "Frank and Debbie" link (very nice by the way) to the equipemtn lists built into some members' signitures... Not that I am in the same league as many of these folk, but if I was, an internet forum would not be my first choice to advertise this. Am I just being paranoid?

That said, I look forward to many visits in the future. Will look forward to the advise I will surely seek and contribute when I can to the conversation...
More later,
Tour...
Vox Copuli
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
Post edited by Tour2ma on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    edited December 2002
    Tour2ma,

I didn't notice your address posted anywhere, so I don't think you need to worry about showing/telling/listing the details of your gear. However, do whatever it is that makes you feel comfortable. Have you knowledge of some criminal act caused by that information?
    As for the humor, generally good natured when not misunderstood.

Welcome to the fray!

F1nut
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited December 2002
    Tour2ma,
    Welcome to the forum! One of the great things about this obsession is the desire to share your experience with others. A lot of us take great pride in our gear and the manner in which it is displayed. I have yet to see anyone post their home address here or anywhere else for that matter. Doing so would not be very wise for reasons that are pretty obvious.

So the answer is no you are not being paranoid, but why is that guy taking your speakers out through the window?
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • Zeus13
    Zeus13 Posts: 5
    edited December 2002
    I have two 110 lb. rottweilers, bro and sis, waiting if anyone would like to try and steal my gear.........they say dogs are better than home alarm systems..............anyway, go POLK!
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited January 2003
    OK… maybe it was the late hour last nite (as witnessed by the slightly dyslexic fingers)... then again it's even later tonite...

I'm just getting back into the "game" as it were. Used to get the upgrade "itch" every three years or so, but it's been about ten since my last scratch, so most of my stuff is on the vintage side serving only a stereo role. Heart of my system is the SDA-SRS's (so Frank, carrying them out the window is not a realistic option) driven by a Carver M1.5t. God Bless Mathew and Bob... As stated in my signature, I'm now looking to move to home theatre.

Spent some time last nite looking for threads about my Polk's and mostly found "wish I had" type stuff.
    Where are the threads where actual owners discuss their experiences, and experiments, in stereo and home theatre set-ups? (Site's search engine won't work on three letter strings. What little I found was due to spelling out the acronyms.)
    What current line model(s) match them well? (Polk used to recommend the CS1000p's and f/x 1000's, but after seeing the threads on these apparently I waited too long.) With their soundstage is it even necessary to go surround?
    Etc., etc….

Appreciate any guidance you can give. I’ll carry my questions to that area rather than create a long string in the Testing Area….

Right now I have to shop the net for a dog or two that will chew on burglars and not my speakers…

Later…
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD