Need a good dry record brush

Options
nadams
nadams Posts: 5,877
edited June 2008 in Music & Movies
I got my Blodwyn Pig album in from eBay today. To my disappointment, there's tons of surface noise, I'm presuming from dust. I stopped listening about halfway into the first track, so hopefully I didn't damage anything.

So, I'm now looking for a good dry cleaning brush. Anyone have any suggestions? I've read that the Audioquest carbon fiber brush really isn't worth it... Also that the Hunt EDA Mark 6 is better, with two rows of brushes, and felt (plus it's $30, which I can justify). I've also read through the thread on using a chopped up paintbrush.

But, here I am, asking you folks anyway! Suggestions, please?
Ludicrous gibs!
Post edited by nadams on

Comments

• Fongolio
    Fongolio Posts: 3,516
    edited June 2008
    Options
    I use one called the Super Exstatic which is a felt pad sandwiched by two rows of carbon fiber. It works very well. Nothing beats wet cleaning though. I use a Nitty Gritty fluid injectin machine and then when dry and before any play on the tt the Super Exstatic
    SDA-1C (full mods)
    Carver TFM-55
    NAD 1130 Pre-amp
    Rega Planar 3 TT/Shelter 501 MkII
    The Clamp
    Revox A77 Mk IV Dolby reel to reel
    Thorens TD160/Mission 774 arm/Stanton 881S Shibata
    Nakamichi CR7 Cassette Deck
    Rotel RCD-855 with modified tube output stage
    Cambridge Audio DACmagic Plus
    ADC Soundshaper 3 EQ
    Ben's IC's
    Nitty Gritty 1.5FI RCM
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited June 2008
    Options
    As you have mentioned the Hunt EDA Mark 6 record cleaning brush or the Audioquest Carbon Fiber Brush are good choices. I have both and think they work well. Whoever says the AQ doesn't work is wrong IMO, however a slight edge goes to the Hunt brush.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited June 2008
    Options
    Went with the Hunt EDA Mark 6. I may also try the paintbrush method.

I went to remove my cartridge so I could look up some info on a replacement, and ended up bending the needle. I could've gotten a new needle, but this is the original cartridge for this TT, so I opted to go with an Audio-Technica ESCAT301 with the shibata stylus.

Can't wait to hear what this thing can do with well-cleaned vinyl and a decent cartridge/stylus!
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited June 2008
    Options
    I have both the Hunt and the Audioquest. The AQ is OK for a light dusting of a cleaned record before play. The brush that AQ sells is also sold under other brand names.

One complaint with the AQ brush is the fibers may loosen and fall out. There are threads at the Vinyl Asylum about this. Yet there are some who claim they had the same brush for years with no problem. The consensus is there could be a bad lot of brushes or some are using too much pressure when brushing.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • miner
    miner Posts: 1,305
    edited June 2008
    Options
    I have the AQ brush and no complaints from me. You may also want to try the MoFi enzyme cleaner and super record wash along witht he MoFi brushes for those really stubborn records.
    [
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    edited June 2008
    Options
    Audioquest carbon fiber.
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Is audioquest still the way to go. Thanks for any feedback on brushes
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    edited July 2016
    Options
    They're all the same product.

Audioquest-Carbon-Fiber-Brush-image.jpg

PRBRUSHIT_4.jpg

clearaudio-Carbon-Fiber-Brush-image.jpg

s-l225.jpg
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    Options
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    Options
    I use the AudioQuest carbon brush but that might not get rid of the surface noise you're hearing. I had a new record with a lot of surface noise. Cleaned it with super deep cleaner from MoFi and no more surface noise. The brush just wouldn't cut it.
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703