Best DVD/VCR Combination Player? w/Progressive Scan??

Options
dainis
dainis Posts: 11
edited December 2002 in Electronics
I've only noted 2 combo units with Prog. Scan: Panasonic PV-D4752 and PV-D4762. I'd like to have Prog. Scan as I will eventually be upgrading to HDTV, but will be using the interlace mode for now. My VCR recently passed away and space is limited.

Any suggestions??
Post edited by dainis on

Comments

• burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited December 2002
    Options
    My suggestion is that I wouldn't buy a combo player. You can get a decent hifi VCR for well under $100, and a separate DVD player. More than likely, the VCR is going to **** out long before the DVD player. If you buy a combo, you'll have no alternative but to keep using a machine that is half dead, or pay way too much to have the tape transport repaired.

Buy the DVD player that best suits your needs, and consider the hifi VCR a disposable product.

I'd find away around any space limitations.
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Actually I might disagree on the vcr pooping out before a dvd. It seems to me that dvd players are just about the worst electronics ever made, as far as dependability. Plus your vcr will just sit there and not get used. Why would it break? :lol:
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by fireshoes
    It seems to me that dvd players are just about the worst electronics ever made, as far as dependability.

This is of course going to be the case as long as people are willing to settle for the latest $200 special. As with most things, you gotta pay for stuff to last. Not that I'm a fan of the concept of paying more = longevity, but there is something to be said for buying quality once rather than 5 replacements in the same amount of time......
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited December 2002
    Options
    You got that right, amigo. You can only sell so many Apex's for $49 before you get desensitized to it. BTW, to get back on the original topic, Samsung makes progressive combo unit too. It sells for about $279, and has a memory stick slot on it too.