Can I make my own Ringtones?

Polk user
Polk user Posts: 311
edited May 2008 in The Clubhouse
I have a Verizon cell phone and would like to make my own ringtones so when it rings it would say "john doe calling" or "it's your wife, don't answer".

Is this possible? If so how do I do it?
Post edited by Polk user on

Comments

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited May 2008
    Just hope your wife doesn't ever call you when she's standing right there by your phone! :p
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited May 2008
    I learned the hard way that with Verizon, if your phone supports v-cast, then you cannot create your own ringtones. I have a Verizon XV6700 pda, and I can do up my own ringtones no problem. But my son has a Razr, and we were able to transfer mp3's to the phone, but we couldn't configure any of those mp3's as ringtones. Took it into the Verizon store and were told that with a vcast phone, custom ringtones don't work. You must buy and download them. Nice scam, huh? I didn't believe the guy in the store and called customer service and I was told the same thing. Vcast = no diy ringtones....
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited May 2008
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/204360

I think I followed this section here to make my own ringtones. But I think verizon was Effing with you about the Razr. Because I made my own ringtones for it. I think they have to be in .wav format for them to work. For somereason with the razr the .mp3 would not recognize. At least that was the case with me.

NEVERMIND.....I was just looking at my razr, and they are all mp3's ringtones (the ones I added). I think it was the bitrate of the ringtone that had to be altered. I think the bitrate had to be under 96kbs.

I have a Razr program that lets you add your own mp3's.

http://www.store.motorola.com/mot/en/US/adirect/motorola;jsessionid=B33E67DB7098371281DF14F08E6472B4.mot5?cmd=catProductDetail

I can see if I can find it again, and get it to you.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited May 2008
    I dropped verizon because of the crap they pulled with the ringtones. Now I have Tmobile and I just use Soundtrack Pro to make a ringtone and then I blue tooth it to my Razr. Nice and simple and they can be as long as I want because I have a 512mb card in the phone.
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited May 2008
    Airplay355 wrote: »
    I dropped verizon because of the crap they pulled with the ringtones. Now I have Tmobile and I just use Soundtrack Pro to make a ringtone and then I blue tooth it to my Razr. Nice and simple and they can be as long as I want because I have a 512mb card in the phone.

Maybe it is a Verizon thing, because I have T-Mobile also. I had Verizon and just never really cared for them or their customer service. I know everyone has their favorite cell carrier, but I have never once had an issue with cell service or customer service with t-mobile.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited May 2008
    The problem I have is that where I live the Verizon signal is the hands-down winner. Every other carrier has an inferior signal compared to the big V around here.

That said, if the rumors of $199 iphones through AT&T pan out this summer, something may have to change....
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • Airplay355
    edited May 2008
    Me either. I love t-mobile and I love that I can load anything onto my phone.
  • edbert
    edbert Posts: 1,041
    edited May 2008
    I have the Krzr with verizon and have mp3 ringtones. It is a pretty simple process. Here is the same process I followed. Clicky

In your case you would just need to record your voice recording stuff if and then change it using Audacity. Don't worry about the vCast stuff because that just isn't true. I have vCast and my custom ringtone works just fine. When I got done I just emailed it to the phone and everything worked just fine.
    I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 40's - fronts, bi-amped
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    PSW10 - I'll let you guess
    Blue Jeans Cable - speaker cable
    Daewoo 27 incher - one step up from a console
    Sony Progressive scan DVD
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • devani
    devani Posts: 1,497
    edited May 2008
    I have setup my phone, my wife's, mother-in-laws, and mother's phone with bitpim...we have verizon family share plan with all different phones....chocolate, VX9800, VX8300, juke phone from verizon and had no problem setting custom ringtones for the phones....
    please do not say that V-cast is the problem because V-cast has nothing to do with custom mp3 ringtones...instructions are found everywhere and I go to howardforums.com...
    Video: LG 55LN5100/Samsung LNT4065F
    Receiver: HK AVR445
    Source: OPPO BDP-93
    HT: POLK SPEAKERS RTi6, FXi3, CSi5, VTF-3 MK2
    2Ch system: MC2105, AR-XA, AR-2A, AR9, BX-300, OPPO BDP-83
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    edited May 2008
    With my last two Motorolas (RAZR and a V400), I've been making my own ringtones with no problem. I just take a .wav file, covert to low bitrate MP3, transfer to the phone using Motorola Phone tools and select as ringtone.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • apc
    apc Posts: 779
    edited May 2008
    If you have a Razr - follow this link. If it's another model of phone, the same forum may have a section for it.

http://forums.wirelessadvisor.com/razr-phones/56369-motorola-phone-tools-doesn-t-work.html

PS - I modded my Razr fairly easily.
    Husband, Father, Son, Brother, Friend.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    I'll pay $1.13!

Terperted!
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    Airplay355 wrote: »
    I dropped verizon because of the crap they pulled with the ringtones.

I never knew ringtones were that important to folks.
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • Airplay355
    I was 19. This thread is ancient.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Back in 2006, I was able to hack my V-Cast phone and make my own ringtones. B) HAHAHA
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    The reason this thread came back to life is some spammer posted in it. The spammer is gone, move on.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk