PSW 404 Can't Turn it OFF

jdsanko
jdsanko Posts: 3
edited December 2002 in Troubleshooting
I have had this PSW 404 since 11/27. I noticed that the red standby light is always on whether the switch is in the "Auto" or "Off" position. In the "On" position the light goes green or when it is getting a signal in the "Auto" position. There is also a very low level (not very loud) hum that does not change regardless of position of the switch or volume setting. It only goes away when I pull the plug. Sounds to me like I have a defective unit. What do you think?
Post edited by jdsanko on

Comments

• jdavy
    jdavy Posts: 380
    edited December 2002
    I might agree with you. Call polk customer service and get thier help. They are very good and will help you fix your problem.
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited December 2002
    could be the transformer of the unit or the powersuply switch not turning off to for the red light i seccont the call customer servis just want to give you ideas of what is wrong
  • jdsanko
    jdsanko Posts: 3
    edited December 2002
    Polk Customer Service told me this is normal. The Stand By light will be on as long as the unit is plugged in. The slight transformer noise should go away after I short time.
  • shiu
    shiu Posts: 169
    edited December 2002
    I got my 404 a week ago. I got the same quiet humming noise. It does sound like a power supply transformer hum. The noise is there even when nothing is connected to the unit except for the power cord. I have a 500 watt receiver and a Adcom 200W per channel power amplier and neither one make that transformer noise. I cannot undertand why Polk told you the noise would go away after a short time. By the way, I went to the store I bought it from, their demo unit made the same noise too so I guess we could say that our subs are not defective. However, I put my ear right onto the cabinet of a PSW202, a much lower priced unit, and yet it did not make any noise, go figure! I then do the same with one of their large JBL unit, and heard similar transformer hum. I am wondering if all high powered subs make such noise because they use large "inexpensive" transformers.

I hope Polk's customer service experts see these postings and let us know what to do, should we return the speaker because they are defective, or we have to accept it because that's the way it is.