Options
124»

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited December 2002
    Options
    TroyD,
    As for the rest of it, no, HT is not my primary concern, however, I DO have an HT as Russ described (except it's a 55"TV) and I have put a lot of work into it so I don't see where you get off bashing my rig. I certainly don't question your right to post or hold an opinion on 2ch gear.
    Dude I didn't bash your Home Theater gear.Show me where and I will apologize.All I said was your not into theater that much,your into 2 channel.I thought you where putting more time into this THX thing that you don't even care about nor what to talk about.The EQ question is a good one.If you really want to know about that VS THX,we should start a new thead and get into it.I'd love to talk about it.
    What I mean by the AVERAGE dude is this: the majority of folks have a hard enough time buying gear and getting it set up properly. There are many folks who listen to DVD in Pro Logic because they can't figure out how to set up for digital. As I said, for the majority of folks who don't hire installers and so forth THX is meaningless. Think big picture here. Most folks go buy a THX receiver and think, boom, done, I'm THX. Not to mention all those (and there are a lot) who think THX is a surround format. We all know that isn't so. For that guy THX does him no good at all. See where I'm going with this?
    I can respect what you wrote.I like when one explains thereself instead of assuming others know what you mean.The average person is to wide.My opnion of a average theater person differs from yours.I also dissagree with no advantages owning THX gear of a average person.The benefits are there for anyone who enguages the THX processing.THX ULRA 2 is there best work yeat.I think it's nice that THX goes as far as they do to help people enjoy Home Theater.
    I also think the EQ question VS THX is also a good one.That deserves it's own thead as there's alot to be said to answer that.
    I'll tell you this Troy,your last post on this subject is so much better then the quick and short version.Good one yeah Bro:)

brett22,
    **** you Dan for actin the **** and tellin him that his question didn't bring anything to the conversation.
    \
    Dude cool out.That had nothing to do with you and everything to do with what Troy and I talked about in private.IM style.He knows where I'm coming from.And if HE doesn't I will gladly explain myself.
    For those that try to act like teachers, you have a pretty **** up way of 'teaching', if that's even what you guys call it. Don't ask for opinions and in the same breath **** on people for asking questions in the same post for clarification. What would you like to have done, answers only in your posts and if there's a question, put it in it's own post and then you can magically transform into a helpful, non-antagonistic person?
    I'm not really sure what you mean by this but I will take it at face value.I enjoy helping anyone who can use my help.If you really feel I'm full of crap(I will allow Liv4fam to speak for himself)Don't use my advice.I give my opnions on things,and all of it comes from experience.I personally hold alot of water with experience.I once was just a hobbiest like all of you.Then I took my hobby and made a career out of it.I enjoy going to work,I love audio and video the most.It's my very favorite thing.It's been for most of my life.I'm sorry you feel the way you do.I know alot of it is focused on liv4fam,but I feel the need to address your comments.
    Let me take a minute of your time and explain this topic.Liv4fam owns his first THX processor in the B&K avr307.He loves to death what it does for the problems he was having in his room.Liv4fam and myself take our sound very seriously.If there's something out there that will help.the better.Wire,room treatment ,THX,SPL meters,Training from work,reading about it,meeting companies Engineers,Tech support,etc.THX is something the both us us have found very usefull.We also took cources at Cedia this year on THX.If you do a search I started a thead about John Dohl I met and studied under.He is from THX and is one fasinating passionate person for audio and video.I sat in his class speechless when he started talking about room acoustics.Simply blown away.I personaly like to talk about anything audio.

FrankZ,
    This is amazing! I 've been reading this post on and off to see what is being said about THX vs. non-THX, never know when you might learn something, and Bam...There's my name. I'm getting spanked for all the wrong reasons! My comments to MX were a gag, same as when I (and others) teased him about using LOL
    Dude I will start..well I know you probably won't read this as you feel I'm no longer relevent but what the hell maybe you will.It's not the fact you don't believe in speaker break in ,it's the way you said it.You made it sound like whoever believes in speaker break in is a **** clown,or childish with the comments about the easter bunny and santa claus.Not what you believe it's how you said it.I'm completely fine if you don't believe it or can't hear it.It's taken me half my life to somewhat understand this hobby of ours.I got a long way to go.I try to learn something everyday.On the job or off.
    Next thing you know my couch, of all things get's flamed, I am accused of trying to run Mx off the forum.
    Dude I'm sorry for bustin on your couch infront of your left main.You pissed me off,you've been postin around here like your the be all end all or something,compound our spif on the speaker thing and it came out.I personally think you got on of the nicest theaters in here.You own alot of the same gear I do.I would love to come over and tweak your room.Not to insult your setup, but just to try and help you get the most of your very nice system.
    You knwo exactly why I started on you about Mxstylepolkman.The comments you made about him to the new guy was uncalled for.You told him he that MX was just a kid of 13 and didn't know what side of a hammer to hold,had no bussiness talking amoung adults,then you start a age thing in off topic about how people under the age of 18 shouldn't be permitted to post around here.Thats exactly why I stared on you about that.Everysingle person in here has the right to post.Kidding or not that was **** ****.

Well there you have it,I said my peace to everyone who deserved it.......except Russ......Eff yeah dude.:p ;) :cool:
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • liv4fam
    liv4fam Posts: 311
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Damn!!!

Now everybodies **** is in the ringer. It's funny how everybody ends saying eff ya and eff this and the world can go eff itself.

Entertaining to say the least.

So I am all caught up on my reading for now and basically all I have to say is I think THX is great and it works for me and my room and obviously I learned that I am not an AVERAGE HT guy (thanks troy) and demand a little more performance than the next guy.
    So let me throw out my opinion of THX processing vs. EQ's.

IMO,
    There is no comparison whatsoever being that they are both designed to do two seperate things all together.
    Granted, THX Cinema RE-EQ circuit tames the center down a little but remains sonically intact for the same dynamic as that of your mains which an eq can not do and secondly THX added precise Timbre Matching for all channels and Adaptive Decorreleation for phase shifting for the rears to gic=ve you a more envloping surround experience.
    Now I believe a THX rated EQ should be USED with a THX processor to fully tune a room but for me the Above Average HT enthusiast I am satisified with the improvments that I got from the B&K and THX circuit.
    I actually was looking at the RANE parametric THX EQ's for awhile (I think it was last year, right Dan?) but I just couldn't get my hands on them as I had to order from California and the REP was giving me hard time so I just said screw it.
    Would you gain from an EQ? Without Doubt!
    Would you gain from the THX circuit? No Question!
    Use both together? Absolutely!

It's crazy that most of you disagree with everything we say and call us retarded and say we have no clue what we are talking about.
    Everytime I post anything in this forum I always get that my post has no meaning and I am irrelevant.

I don't post in here to tell you guys what to do or think. Do I ever say oh you should buy B&K or you should own Monster NO!!!!!
    I say buy whatever you want. I don't have to listen to it.
    Never in my life since I have been an installer have I ever heard or your you should work at Burger King with the other retards or your a **** and everything I say is irrelevant.

I never thought that by coming into (cc) a POLK forum is where I would be outclassed by such Knowledgeable individuals. If I knew this was where all the A/V masters and geniuses hung out I would came in here a long time ago to learn everything.

I am curious? Dan and I where talking on the way home today and we came up with the a good point.
    Do you guys beat up other contractors too?
    I know electrical and carpentry but guess what? I still have a electrician come in sometimes and wire duplexes or a panel and I don't ever call him a smack or a **** and say "You know I can do electrical and you do it everyday what makes you so goddamn special?"

Listen to this.

I am just an electrical hobbyist. Why should I listen to master electrician it's just his opinion that we have to ground an outlet.
    I say eff ya and you are ****.

That is a example of what you guys do to us.

I just wanted to talk about THX and once again you ruined it.

BTW Troy..............You said we have been through this and you don't care to re-hash the subject.
    Guess What? I haven't been in this forum for 3 years neither have a lot of the new guys so maybe it's not been discussed before with us.
    You seem to let the "How to hook-up my PSW-650 sub" thread go on without making fun of someone. I think I have seen that thread about 300 times by now.

So I say........This forum is getting really bad. I feel sorry for the new guys that are coming in becuase they won't be able to learn anything because they are going to get blah, blah, blah, let's move on or they will get I don't care to re-hash this.

I am not going to post in here anymore because personally it's a waste of my time and I need to talk to people that actually LOVE there gear.

So to all polk members.

Good Luck on your systems and "May the Rat Shack be with you":p
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited December 2002
    Options
    This is utterly amazing to me, and I really shouldn't even bother posting this, but I'm gonna do a complete recap of this post for those (2) that apparently dont' see where being an **** is being an ****. Humor me if this seems unnecessary or redundant, apparently Dan is still a lil confused on why people don't all worship the throne he sits on.........here goes........

QUOTE]Originally posted by liv4fam
    What does everybody think of THX for the Home.[/QUOTE]
    Originally posted by mantis
    Any comments about THX?any insight why it is a good thing or a bad thing?

This started on a good note. Dan, you didn't ask for research papers on this. You asked for comments. Your fellow antagonistic friend later offered up this blundering of intelligent babbling....
    Originally posted by liv4fam
    Way to "Get your cheap on guys" :o

Boring.

(insert idiotic story about rat shack visit here)

So I had to ask him "Are you from the Polk forum?"
    Because you are just about confused as the people in there.:lol:

That's when I thought about offering the F bomb........
    Gee wasn't this post about THX.I see no one has anything intelligent to say about it. Liv4fam enjoys the benifits of THX,I see nobody else does.

This post wasn't about whether or not Liv enjoys his THX receiver. It was about what people thought about the concept and practicality of the technology. People gave their opinions and you respond with people have nothing intelligent to say. (This was another F-you moment)
    TroyD,
    Dude I didn't bash your Home Theater gear.Show me where and I will apologize

Here ya go.......
    TroyD,
    what the eff do you care anyway.You put NO time or effort into Home Theater.So why talk about it.You still haven't gottten any Informationon how it's benifical to the average dude???what the eff is an average dude?You?whatever man.Is there any reason you post on this?You could care less about THX or home theater.If you had any understanding of THX,you could see some benefits of any effin home theater.Do you post just to keep the numbers up?You add nothing to the post so why don't you leave it alone,go hang out in the 2 channel.

I'm sure you're not gonna try to save face by saying you didn't understand that he was trying to ask for information earlier in this thread. Just because someones not AS into HT as you are, doesn't mean that they aren't. One would think that you'd know that. I imagine that you probably think that the people that you install for are "True" HT enthusiasts, but they most likely know far less than a lot of the people in here that have done it for themselves.
    (to Frank) I would love to come over and tweak your room.Not to insult your setup, but just to try and help you get the most of your very nice system.

I can't speak for Frank, but I'd personally be offended by this comment. In case you can't understand why, it's because your implication is that he in some way needs your help, and also that his setup should be tuned/tweeked to YOUR ears, not his. I'd give ya an F-off just for that personally.
    Let me take a minute of your time and explain this topic.Liv4fam owns his first THX processor in the B&K avr307.He loves to death what it does for the problems he was having in his room.

Just because he gets a THX receiver doesn't mean that we're all gonna jump up and down with joy for him. Congrats that he feels it's necessary. Are we automatically wrong when we don't share his feelings on the topic? Apparently so......
    ......it's the way you said it.
    This is EXACTLY why people respond to you and Liv the way that we/they do. You guys have information, and that's great, but you put it to people so **** irritatingly that it's offputting. Learn from it and be tactful in the way you give information. If you in the same breath talk to us like we're idiots, then personally, I couldn't give a damn as to what you have to say.
    ...I learned that I am not an AVERAGE HT guy (thanks troy) and demand a little more performance than the next guy.

Dick......
    I don't post in here to tell you guys what to do or think.

You tell us ALL the time what to think.....
    I never thought that by coming into (cc) a POLK forum is where I would be outclassed by such Knowledgeable individuals. If I knew this was where all the A/V masters and geniuses hung out I would came in here a long time ago to learn everything.

**** you....
    I am not going to post in here anymore because personally it's a waste of my time and I need to talk to people that actually LOVE there gear.

There is a God......
    So to all polk members.

Good Luck on your systems and "May the Rat Shack be with you":p

**** you......

I'll end this beause it's WAY too long in the first place. I'll try to refrain from posting anything else in this thread.......
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Good on ya brett. I'll second that.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2002
    Options
    I concur.

(middle finger in the air)

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited December 2002
    Options
    brettw22,
    so where did I bash Troys gear?what I wrote says nothing of the sort.Troy and I had a Im moment and we talked about HT and 2 channel.Troy likes theater but loves 2 channel.Our conversation was between us,not you.I just don't understand why he wants to continue to post on something he puts no stock in,not just theater but THX.But he keeps repling about it.Again between Troy and myself.Please allow us to work out the differences.

Gee wasn't this post about THX.I see no one has anything intelligent to say about it. Liv4fam enjoys the benifits of THX,I see nobody else does.
    taking that out of content looks like **** stuff.The theads always get off topic,it's a natural thing around here.thats just what happens.
    Just because he gets a THX receiver doesn't mean that we're all gonna jump up and down with joy for him. Congrats that he feels it's necessary. Are we automatically wrong when we don't share his feelings on the topic? Apparently so......
    nobodies wrong dude,we like THX and nobody else in this forum does.Thats ok by me.It's a topic in audio that we like to talk about.Liv4fam and myself are going to the ranch as soon as the work flow slows and we get time to go.This is one of my personal dreams to be trained by what I feel is the best in our bussiness.Not to mention it makes me more of a value to my company as well as any other I work for in the future.We just don't care for comments like get a marker and your THX.Sometimes I don't feel people fully understand what THX is by the comments that people post.But thats ok,I don't fully understand THX,one of the reasons why I'm so juiced to go to the ranch and be trained on THX.
    I can't speak for Frank, but I'd personally be offended by this comment. In case you can't understand why, it's because your implication is that he in some way needs your help, and also that his setup should be tuned/tweeked to YOUR ears, not his. I'd give ya an F-off just for that personally.
    let me clear this.Franks theater is very nice but if you saw pic's of it, he has a couch in front of the left speaker.His mains are far apart and I feel I could help him out.His theater probably sounds fantastic,I enjoy helping anyone with there theater to tweak it.Thats what I do.If you take offence to that,I'm sorry no offence intended.I'm building a new theater in the basement of my new house,I'll take any help I can get.I wanna make it as close to perfect as I can.I have redesigned it alot of times.Again thats between Frank and myself.I don't wanna battle with Frank,he now could care less what I say or do so he probably won't even read it.Just my way of saying truce.
    Look dude we can go at this all night long.I personally would like to end it here.I will admit I have poor delivery.The way your looking at what I have said I understand what your saying.I mean well unless it's a pissing match ,and you know where they go......nowhere.If I offend you or anyone from now on,just say so I don't mind explaining what I mean.Just like the wanting to help Frank out with his theater.I never meant he's a smack and need me to do it for him.Have you ever kicked around Ideas with other about your theater setup?placement?It's a fun way to hang out and learn from one another.Getting together and playing with gear and placement of gear is fun.I got alot of tricks and if any of them can benefit anyone,I'm happy to do so.I also like people to share tricks with me,I'm always looking for a new way/idea.If you got any share man.I thought that this was the idea with a forum like this anyway.
    Look dude I said my peace..........I'm not in the mood for **** you and your a **** and all that ****.Can we shake hands/call a truce/say what bothers us and move on???I'd like that.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited December 2002
    Options
    I think that raps it up, Move out now...The Battle of the Quotes is over - Back on Subject: What do ya'll think of THX?
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • TheGrayGhost
    TheGrayGhost Posts: 196
    edited December 2002
    Options
    ”This is getting interesting. I think a call to Tweeter might be in order.”

Have they actually claimed to work for Tweeter?

If they do work for Tweeter’s they are probably not much more than truck driver / boxcutter.

The professional Design and Installation Company is Custom Audio & Video Environments (www.atlcave.com) which is a division of HiFi Buys (a Tweeter company).

Employees of CAVE are CEDIA certified as well as state licensed.

With the professional reputation of CAVE, I can’t imagine either of “you know who” working for them in a professional capacity.

But, on the other hard, you guys know what they really are and don’t need me to make the point.
    Best Regards, Cliff
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,793
    edited December 2002
    Options

Of all the stupid comments you've made, this one takes the cake.

When it comes down to it, a man has nothing but his word...prove to us that you are a man and keep your word, stay away!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited December 2002
    Options
    I'll reply to your questions Mantis, and then I'm done with this thread. For you to say that someone puts "NO time or effort into Home Theater" IS bashing on his gear, be it intended as directly or indirectly. To tell someone that there's no effort, when CLEARLY he has a complete set-up is insulting. His passion may not be HT and instead be 2 channel, but to tell him that because he's not 100% HT that he makes no effort is uncalled for. If you two had a conversation that didn't involve anyone else, then I would imagine that I wouldn't see it in the public forum that we're all here posting on. Quite the opposite has been true. We see rants all the time, and I'm not saying only from one side to another, but regardless, it's a public forum where, as has been demonstrated, if you piss on someone for their gear or their attitude, then others can(and have) gotten involved and reacted to what has been perceived as an uppity or better than thou attitude that is relentless in both you and Liv's posts.

You said "no one has anything intelligent to say." That's not out of context for anything. Surely you can't believe that everyone is going to take that kind of insult and not react to it. Regardless of the topic, that's an INSULT!!!!!

My comment about us being "wrong" since we don't share either yourself or Liv's thoughts about THX isn't so much that you've said "YOU'RE WRONG" as much as it's the attitude that is repeatedly given off in MANY posts about people not accpeting what you and him deem to be worthy of everyone's attention and pocketbook. If people don't want THX, SO WHAT?!?!?!?! If you guys left it as everyone indicating pros and cons as to what they believe, then we wouldn't be constantly battling about how amazingly arrogant you guys are about other people and their gear. I don't believe that ANYONE was serious about saying take a marker and make your gear THX. There are a LOT of people, other audio installers included, that don't feel that THX is worth the money that is charged. Most people don't have the desire to shell out an extra grand+ because of something that, in the grand scheme of things, isn't going to help them based on their room set-ups etcetera.

I don't feel the need to defend Frank, as he's perfectly capable, but if Frank has a couch in front of one of his speakers, it's because he WANTS it there. It may not be ideal for yourself or someone else, but if Frank had a problem with his couch being where it was, then I'm sure that he'd do something about it. Constructive criticism is something that people offer and get a lot on this forum, and that's a good thing. But when you imply that someones rig should be adjusted because YOU feel that it should be, you overstep a line that isn't yours to cross. It would be a TOTALLY different story if he had posted pics and said Dan, what do you think I should do to make my set-up better. If someone's point blank asking you how to tweak their system, then there's your green light.

A LOT of the problems that happen between people here aren't based on anything AUDIO related at all. It's from a subtle, and sometimes not so subtle attitude that you guys throw in peoples faces about what they have to say. One thing that I REALLY hate to see in your posts Dan is that "I know, do you" crap. I mean, I could read a post and learn something, but to see that at the end ultimately is telling me that I'm a dumbass, and THAT I take issue with.

I'm game for moving on, but we've all done this in the past and nothing has changed. There have been, and will continue to be pissing matches about stuff, but if we can leave it to topic related without the antagonistic attitudes (from everyone) then it'll all be good. I'm not asking for a boring fact only board. Have all the fun you want, but don't act like we're all subservient to you and Liv because you guys do this as a career, and most here do it as a hobby.

Nite.................
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.