True dat, true dat.

In the grand scheme, relatively minor.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • liv4fam
    liv4fam Posts: 311
    edited December 2002
    Options
    It wasn't an opinion post. It was a loaded question. See, if we disagree that THX is the greatest thing since sliced bread, well, we are all imbeciles and further cements that none of us have anything of value to offer. In no way, shape or form was it designed to be an exchange of ideas.

It was not a loaded question I wanted to hear what everyone had to think about THX and why? why? why?

Instead all I got was "it's a gimmick" it's useless, thx doesn't make it any better than something non-THX.

I wanted to know if you feel that way why didn't anybody explain why?

It's sucks just because. That's basically what I got.

And none of you had anything to say about what it does or doesn't do but only offered oh THX speakers.........why are they better?

What's the real reason you don't like it? Because I do?
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Ok, first of all, get your search on. We've debated this before with a lot of salient points brought up.

I still, on the other hand, have not gotten any information that would make me see how it's beneficial for the average HT dude. You have to admit, there is a lot of non-THX gear out there that is as good if not better than THX gear. Moreover, just because your gear is THX, doesn't mean much, there is much more to it in terms of setup and so forth. Again, I just feel for the average HT enthusiast, it's not really worth it.

BDT
  • TroyD
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Ok, I do have a question about THX. What would the difference be between using a THX processor or what have you and a good outboard EQ?

Really, I'm not being a wiseass, I'm curious.

BDT
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited December 2002
    Options
    THX - Heres what I think, I dont think they suck. I find it useless to buy. But I dont think it sucks. Infact, I bet it sounds fabulous "If it sounds good to you, so be it"

- What's the real reason you don't like it? Because I do? -
    No Liv, I think it sucks because you like it! ;) ...not really. Just because you think Polk R series and such arnt good, dont make me loose any sleep at night. I and Really anyone else here hasnt said they didnt like it. Almost everyone here has said Its just a gimick, and a tag. Well i agree that for speakers. I think it could mean something to receivers, pre/pros. Amps, and Speakers? NO WAY! I dont think it holds grass in the ground with a lawn mower running over it. I think its a useless tag that you pay hundreds of dollars for! "If it sounds good to you, so be it"
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited December 2002
    Options
    TroyD,
    what the eff do you care anyway.You put NO time or effort into Home Theater.So why talk about it.You still haven't gottten any Informationon how it's benifical to the average dude???what the eff is an average dude?You?whatever man.Is there any reason you post on this?You could care less about THX or home theater.If you had any understanding of THX,you could see some benefits of any effin home theater.Do you post just to keep the numbers up?You add nothing to the post so why don't you leave it alone,go hang out in the 2 channel.

It's such a waste of time talking to a effin wall.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    edited December 2002
    Options

why? why? why?

That is always the burning question.
    It's sucks just because.

"Because" is the perfect answer. It's basic psychology 101, no other explanation is needed.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mantis
    edited December 2002
    Options
    This forum sucks because............I need no other explanation.
    Dan
  • F1nut
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Getting ready for another exit, stage left?

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mantis
    edited December 2002
    Options
    good call one of your best posts yeat F1
    Dan
  • F1nut
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Now, now Dan. Just relax and take a deep breath. There is nothing here worth getting worked up over. ;)

BTW, it's yet and thank you very much!

President of Club Polk

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2002
    Options
    What does Troy have for his HT, since he doesn't 'care'?

Lets see, a 52" Tv, a decent Denon receiver, Polk RTA12s for mains running off a Carver M1.0t, a CS400 ran off a Carver m400a, Polk R10 surrounds, a Paradigm PDR-10 sub, par for the course DVD and VCR.

Sounds like a pretty bitchin HT to me, esp for someone who doesn't 'care' about it.

If you don't like talking to a 'wall', then don't. If this forum 'sucks', choose not to visit it. Once again, people were asked for their opinions, those people gave them, then were rediculed for those very opinions. What was offered as to why we need, or should seek out THX gear (other than it is 'badass')? Hello, McFly? Pot, Kettle, Black, that whole thing ya' know?

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • mantis
    edited December 2002
    Options
    I'll gotta agree with that.O thanks for taking my A out of my YEAT.How kind.
    My issues don't rest in you F1,FrankZ on the other hand has my undivided attention.Who the eff does he think he is saying Mxstyle needs to get out.
    Dan
  • RuSsMaN
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Did I miss something, did Frank go postal on Sid?

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • F1nut
    edited December 2002
    Options
    I know Dan, we're cool. Maybe Frank is just having a bad night, we all have them.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Russ,

Off Topic, age post.

President of Club Polk

• RuSsMaN
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Found it, wow, Frank IS on a tear. Not saying I condone it, but the entertainment value is there. ;)

Cheers,
    Russ
  • mantis
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Russ,
    Let me check with Frank if I should stay or go.He has an age requirement on the forum now.You gotta pass the ID check in at Franks Check point.

Troy told me he puts no stock in HT.Thats why I said what I said.2 channel is in his soul.I'm cool with it,THX ..... I didn't read your thoughts........... press on I read.Move along.So where are we going RUSS.LEAD THE WAY TO A BETTER UNDERSTANDING.Start a cool post that we can all get together and discuss audio/video/whatever....lead my man lead...
    Dan
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by liv4fam

It was not a loaded question I wanted to hear what everyone had to think about THX and why? why? why?

What about the why NOTS. A few memebers voice their dissenting opinions and ask questions and you get all thrown into a tizzy.:eek:

I asked a valid question that Troy reiterated. What can be done with this THX EQ that can't be done with a standard EQ. I also asked parametric + graphic, but was just trying to be open to possibilities.

I'll guess that with the right speakers (probably non-THX rated) 7 ASLs would "sound" better than pretty much any 7 channel amp even at twice as much. Stick around some day you might know (about sound) as you think you do.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Is to, is not, is to, is not.
    There. I won. did not, did to, did not, did to.

Anyway, just to throw something out there that will perhaps restart the brawling (I don't know squat about THX): I was looking at the latest edition of Robert Harley's HT book, & he indicates that if you also use your HT spkrs for music, the THX Ultra 2 standard is much better (as far as speakers are concerned). Reason being that earlier THX speaker standards had severely limited vertical dispersion & were not nearly as good for music as they were for movies.

p.s.--the THX website has an article in the "news" section re new THX Ultra 2 products
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • TroyD
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by mantis
    TroyD,
    what the eff do you care anyway.You put NO time or effort into Home Theater.So why talk about it.You still haven't gottten any Informationon how it's benifical to the average dude???what the eff is an average dude?You?whatever man.Is there any reason you post on this?You could care less about THX or home theater.If you had any understanding of THX,you could see some benefits of any effin home theater.Do you post just to keep the numbers up?You add nothing to the post so why don't you leave it alone,go hang out in the 2 channel.

It's such a waste of time talking to a effin wall.

Gee, Dan, do I not get to ask questions? The question being, for a third time, what is the difference between using a THX processor and using an EQ? To me it would seem to be different means to the same end which is to artificially manipulate (for better or worse, not the point) the material?

As for the rest of it, no, HT is not my primary concern, however, I DO have an HT as Russ described (except it's a 55"TV) and I have put a lot of work into it so I don't see where you get off bashing my rig. I certainly don't question your right to post or hold an opinion on 2ch gear.

What I mean by the AVERAGE dude is this: the majority of folks have a hard enough time buying gear and getting it set up properly. There are many folks who listen to DVD in Pro Logic because they can't figure out how to set up for digital. As I said, for the majority of folks who don't hire installers and so forth THX is meaningless. Think big picture here. Most folks go buy a THX receiver and think, boom, done, I'm THX. Not to mention all those (and there are a lot) who think THX is a surround format. We all know that isn't so. For that guy THX does him no good at all. See where I'm going with this?

BDT

Now, as far as I'm concerned I'm done with this.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Thank you Troy for asking a question that I was curious as to what the answer was. **** you Dan for actin the **** and tellin him that his question didn't bring anything to the conversation. **** liv4fam for taking peoples responses and essentially telling them they're idiots.

For those that try to act like teachers, you have a pretty **** up way of 'teaching', if that's even what you guys call it. Don't ask for opinions and in the same breath **** on people for asking questions in the same post for clarification. What would you like to have done, answers only in your posts and if there's a question, put it in it's own post and then you can magically transform into a helpful, non-antagonistic person?

There was not any sort of retaliation against liv until he started insulting the people that responded, so from that point on, all blame can go there. I don't care who said what past that, since it's all a pissin match anyway.

Just got back from runnin errands and thought that I'd see how much 5 year old tantrum **** had been thrown around while I was out......Thank god I won't ever be disappointed with this forum not providing enough of that.............
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited December 2002
    Options
    and now you know the rest of the story... ;)
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • RuSsMaN
    edited December 2002
    Options
    God bless the F bomb.
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited December 2002
    Options
    This is amazing! I 've been reading this post on and off to see what is being said about THX vs. non-THX, never know when you might learn something, and Bam...There's my name. I'm getting spanked for all the wrong reasons! My comments to MX were a gag, same as when I (and others) teased him about using LOL all the time.

Now all of a sudden Mantis is a foul mouthed mind reader! He starts in on me because I don't believe in speaker break-in. So what! If he or anybody else thinks that their speakers sound better, that's great, means you got a better speaker than you planned on. Next thing you know my couch, of all things get's flamed, I am accused of trying to run Mx off the forum. Somebody show me where I got mean, foulmouthed ,and biggoted! Can Not be Done, Cuz!! If mx was offended, my apologies to him only, I've already posted elsewhere that I was just having a little fun with him. Mantis, If you feel that putting words in my mouth makes you the head box cutter around here, fine. The rest of the folks around these parts are smart enough to see through your phony B.S.

You can take as many cheap shots at me as you like, because as I have said before, and as others also feel...

You are no longer relevant!
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Its all fun and games man, lol - once again, dont pull my chain that late at night! LOL! Newayz, old ****...LMAO! I would like to hear Kenwood's THX receivers...neone heard em?
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited December 2002
    Options
    or you could be what my dad calls him self....a smart ****...lol
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • Frank Z
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Sid, can I call ya Sid?
    Don't sweat anything I say to ya, cuz of my age and all. You don't need my okay to stick around, or anybody else's for that matter!

And BTW, I Don't feel old enough to be called an OLD ****, yet!
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited December 2002
    Options
    ight...Mid ****! LOL! dont that sound weird? lol! Ya, you can call me sid...i think thats me new nickname...lol
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • Frank Z
    edited December 2002
    Options
    That'll work!