SDA speakers without the interconnect cable

2»

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    edited March 2008
    Polk has an SDA troubleshooting paper they can send to you.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited March 2008
    I thought it was posted somewhere on here.....?
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • F1nut
    edited March 2008
    I don't recall seeing it, but who knows.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited March 2008
    I'll get it stuck if someone finds it on PDF.....otherwise, I'll get it from Ken this week.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    edited April 2008
    dorokusai wrote: »
    I'll get it stuck if someone finds it on PDF.....otherwise, I'll get it from Ken this week.
    Appreciated.
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited April 2008
    I found this on an old post. Maybe it can help.

SDA Quick Tests
  • stones89
    stones89 Posts: 229
    Wow, 8.5 years since this thread! The reason for my post is I have been doing some research after pulling my 2.3tl's out of storage and into service for curiosity sake. I cannot find my interconnect cable and remembered I liked them better w/o anyway.

Surprisingly, all drivers are working and they sound great! Time will tell, only had them in the system for a couple of days but what a difference from my Thiels which knocked them out of service some 16 years ago!
    Basis 2200 Signature, Vector 4, Transfiguration Proteus, Allnic H3000, Meridian 200/563, CJ ET5, McIntosh 501's, Thiel CS6, 3.6, Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl, MIT EVO, KS/Wywires PC's
  • F1nut
    All the drivers are not working like you think. Without the SDA cable connected the SDA drivers are only producing frequencies below 150Hz.

President of Club Polk

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    It's not the ideal way to listen to SDA's, nor is it how they were designed to be listened to.

You're missing out on the best feature and the drivers aren't playing all the information.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • befuddle
    befuddle Posts: 126
    Thanks for the thread revival. I found it a very relevant read considering that I'm currently running a pair of 1b's with a vintage late 80's Bryston 4b amp and 1b pre.The reason for my posting was to inquire if it was ever known what caused the issue Schurkey had with his setup and if he ever came to find the way to resolve it?
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    edited February 2017
    Sorry for not updating this thread.

F1nut was more right than I understood at the time. The Aragon 8008 has ~20 ohms of resistance between the negative terminals of the two channels. Each negative terminal is attached to chassis ground via a ten-ohm resistor, 20 ohms total. That 20 ohms was causing all my problem with the distorted midrange. A simple jumper wire with a pair of banana plugs connecting the negative terminals of the two channels was all it took to cure the issue. That was the best $5 I ever spent in my Audio journey.

So while neither truly common-ground nor truly isolated ground, the high resistance between the channels made my 1Bs essentially un-listenable when the SDA cable was installed.

I'd have never figured this out without putting an ohmmeter on the negative terminals and testing for "common-groundedness".
  • stones89
    H9, Pitdog, and F1, you guys proved me wrong. Best placement is close to the front wall and closer together. In my case 6 to 7 inches works best - and closer together also - they are 6 feet apart which leaves me just under 3 feet on one side and 4 feet on the other.

I also found my Classe stereo amp sounds better with the standard IC cable versus the AI-1 cable. Classe is also better than my Mcintosh mono’s with the A1-1 cable. So far not a fan of that cable...tried the baked potato tweak and it might have helped but I took the foil off to get a baseline first. Maybe I will try that again.

I am using them in strictly a 2 channle system with 90% vinyl and they sound excellent - especially when cranked up a bit, no strain whatsoever. Need more time with them. ;)
    Basis 2200 Signature, Vector 4, Transfiguration Proteus, Allnic H3000, Meridian 200/563, CJ ET5, McIntosh 501's, Thiel CS6, 3.6, Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl, MIT EVO, KS/Wywires PC's
  • Cool, glad you stuck with it. Placement is crucial. Rock on.
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    Silk Audio MS-90-BT integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
    SDA 2B TL's
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    glad it worked out for you.
  • stones89
    Man I am loving these! I can't believe I have had them for almost 3 decades and never set up right! LOL!….dummy!

I bought them at HiFi buys in Atlanta in the early 90's - they have been in my back room for around 15 years. Having to re-break them in!!!