Yamaha Loudness Knob

Options

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,883
    edited March 2008
    Options
    Cables are not tone controls. They are another component and as such are subject to the issue of synergy.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• furball
    furball Posts: 234
    edited March 2008
    Options
    I think I am younger than most of your gears.:D

So how does it feel to have witnessed the evolution of hifi over the years? In your opinion, have we gone uphill, stayed flat, or gone down hill over the years?

What's your opinion on the state of modern solid state amps? Are the recent ones (2000 and onward) better, worse, or about the same as the old ones?

I am really curious to know.:D

mhardy6647 wrote: »

Now, my normal living room amp... that's ancient (probably only a year or two newer than me)!

P1020749.jpg
  • furball
    edited March 2008
    Options
    As a student of the sciences, I am rather in favor of Dr. Einstein's take on religion:

A knowledge of the existence of something we cannot penetrate, of the manifestations of the profoundest reason and the most radiant beauty - it is this knowledge and this emotion that constitute the truly religious attitude; in this sense, and in this alone, I am a deeply religious man. (Albert Einstein)

I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it. (Albert Einstein, 1954)

I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with the fates and actions of [individual] human beings. (Albert Einstein)

A human being is part of the whole called by us universe, a part limited in time and space. We experience ourselves, our thoughts and feelings as something separate from the rest. A kind of optical delusion of consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from the prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty. The true value of a human being is determined by the measure and the sense in which they have obtained liberation from the self. We shall require a substantially new manner of thinking if humanity is to survive. (Albert Einstein, 1954)

The most beautiful and most profound experience is the sensation of the mystical. It is the sower of all true science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead. To know that what is impenetrable to us really exists, manifesting itself as the highest wisdom and the most radiant beauty which our dull faculties can comprehend only in their primitive forms - this knowledge, this feeling is at the center of true religiousness.
    ( Albert Einstein - The Merging of Spirit and Science)
  • F1nut
    edited March 2008
    Options
    It would be a good time to point out the the discussion of religion on this forum is verboten.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited March 2008
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    It would be a good time to point out the the discussion of religion on this forum is verboten.

Interestingly enough, an employer CANNOT make the discussion of religion verboten in the workforce. An employee has every bit as much right to talk about Jesus as a co-worker has to talk about the latest football game. Unless all informal conversation is forbidden, then the discussion of religion is free/fair game by an employee.

And, yes, I agree this is a private forum (not a workplace) and that Polk Audio does have the right to make the discussion of religion here verboten.
  • F1nut
    edited March 2008
    Options
    Interestingly enough, I'd still fire your arse.

President of Club Polk

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited March 2008
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Cables are not tone controls.
    If they are altering frequency balance that much then they are doing something they shouldn't be.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Yashu
    Yashu Posts: 772
    edited March 2008
    Options
    It stands to reason that you are mentally ill because people here constantly prove you are wrong and you never admit it and keep coming back with other BS replies.

I am not the one that can't take a joke... I make an intellectual joke and everyone gets offended.

I don't mind that it is on the record that I do not believe in a magic man in the sky, but that is not the topic of this thread, I was merely making a joke on previous comments among people that are supposed to be kind of like friends, or at least, peers.

I did give my opinion regarding loudness and tone controls, so I certainly wasn't off topic. Get a grip. Has is gotten so bad that I have to actually point out that something is a joke or not, or sarcasm or not? I thought we were all adults here.

If anyone wants to wax philosophy, I would be happy to give my view. I am not sure if anyone would understand it, words being crude tools. (those that do "get it", would not be offended by that statement) I do not believe in any objectified deity. That includes most of the west's understanding of "god". The nature of my spirituality is such that, being abstract, subjective, if I were to try and explain it, it would taint the entire concept. Have faith in what you feel inside, and don't allow words to bound and gag your thoughts. Every so often I read the science news, and I see that we are discovering more and more of what I have always known since I was young. It grounds me to know there is physical proof for what I have always felt. It makes me feel a little more human and a little less of the eyes behind the windows of my vision. I am glad that *someone* has been able to express these ideas... it is for the good of humanity, but no matter what language we use, context still applies. There lies another problem... how to express, not just information, but context as well.

The moment that one is capable of stepping back from the plane of their vision, is the moment that, humbled, it is obvious that there is more to the world than just what we immediately perceive. It changes you, and not always in a good way. Sometimes it is better not to know these things, trust me, ignorance is bliss. I have lived too many lives, I am tired, and it scares me how accurate my predictions have been. I have felt things at age 5, we are only discovering today by the top minds of the world... they use the language of math and science, and all I had to do was think about it. What does that mean? Is the world really that simple? I have grown up to put all my effort into hoping that it isn't... nothing in this world is scarier than a life without free will. Even that sentence is a paradox, as there can be no life without free will.

Perfection is literally death. We spend our lives fighting entropy, robbing the universe of a balance, That is what we do, that is what life is, controlled chaos. the day we die is the day forces applying to our will are finally allowed to settle. Balance restored.

With all that out there in the world, the wonder, the spirit of humanity, the idea the we may just have free will afterall... With everything we know and enjoy, why the **** do people with large post counts have to keep starting fights around here?!!?

I am not going anywhere, so get used to my replies. It's been over a year since I joined, one would think you could handle it by now, F1.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited March 2008
    Options
    I am God.....bow down ****. Why are we talking about religion in a thread about knobs? Any thread about knobs needs pictures of boobies.

bra.jpg
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited March 2008
    Options
    Yashu wrote: »
    I am not the one that can't take a joke... I make an intellectual joke and everyone gets offended.

I don't mind that it is on the record that I do not believe in a magic man in the sky, but that is not the topic of this thread, I was merely making a joke on previous comments among people that are supposed to be kind of like friends, or at least, peers.

I did give my opinion regarding loudness and tone controls, so I certainly wasn't off topic. Get a grip. Has is gotten so bad that I have to actually point out that something is a joke or not, or sarcasm or not? I thought we were all adults here.

If anyone wants to wax philosophy, I would be happy to give my view. I am not sure if anyone would understand it, words being crude tools. (those that do "get it", would not be offended by that statement) I do not believe in any objectified deity. That includes most of the west's understanding of "god". The nature of my spirituality is such that, being abstract, subjective, if I were to try and explain it, it would taint the entire concept. Have faith in what you feel inside, and don't allow words to bound and gag your thoughts. Every so often I read the science news, and I see that we are discovering more and more of what I have always known since I was young. It grounds me to know there is physical proof for what I have always felt. It makes me feel a little more human and a little less of the eyes behind the windows of my vision. I am glad that *someone* has been able to express these ideas... it is for the good of humanity, but no matter what language we use, context still applies. There lies another problem... how to express, not just information, but context as well.

The moment that one is capable of stepping back from the plane of their vision, is the moment that, humbled, it is obvious that there is more to the world than just what we immediately perceive. It changes you, and not always in a good way. Sometimes it is better not to know these things, trust me, ignorance is bliss. I have lived too many lives, I am tired, and it scares me how accurate my predictions have been. I have felt things at age 5, we are only discovering today by the top minds of the world... they use the language of math and science, and all I had to do was think about it. What does that mean? Is the world really that simple? I have grown up to put all my effort into hoping that it isn't... nothing in this world is scarier than a life without free will. Even that sentence is a paradox, as there can be no life without free will.

Perfection is literally death. We spend our lives fighting entropy, robbing the universe of a balance, That is what we do, that is what life is, controlled chaos. the day we die is the day forces applying to our will are finally allowed to settle. Balance restored.

With all that out there in the world, the wonder, the spirit of humanity, the idea the we may just have free will afterall... With everything we know and enjoy, why the **** do people with large post counts have to keep starting fights around here?!!?

I am not going anywhere, so get used to my replies. It's been over a year since I joined, one would think you could handle it by now, F1.

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa \

They're coming to take you away, ha ha
    They're coming to take you away, he he
    To the funny farm,
    Where life is beautiful, simple and ****.
  • furball
    edited March 2008
    Options
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited March 2008
    Options
    Ack, ack, ack I got a furball stuck in my throat.
  • F1nut
    edited March 2008
    Options
    Yashu dude, you've got some serious issues. I wish you well.

President of Club Polk

• rskarvan
    edited March 2008
    Options
    Yashu, when you escape into the deep thoughts within your own mind where you sincerely believe that you possess a unique knowledge of the universe that others just don't seem to understand, its really is time to have a heart-to-heart discussion with a mental health professional as soon as humanly possible.
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited March 2008
    Options
    well we got a rat and we got a brain turned to cheese.

RT1--Thats my line now bite my hook.
  • Yashu
    Yashu Posts: 772
    edited March 2008
    Options
    its really is time to have a heart-to-heart discussion with a mental health professional as soon as humanly possible.

My thought patterns are a gift, not an illness. When I was younger I did go "seek help", but there was nothing wrong to begin with. I was just smart. All I had to do was come to terms that it was ok to not be like everyone else. It is not a disease, or an illness, to be smart, or to see the world, and the universe, from alternate perspectives. Intelligence and spirituality are intertwined, and while it is absurd to objectify it (which is what most modern theistic religions do), the fact that the universe has a clear beginning, and a clear structure, as in, it is logical, order derived from chaos, it is hard not to wonder what is beyond, what came before, and what caused it to begin. The rest we already know. Had the universe began as a uniform expansion, there would be nothing but evenly spaced particles for 14 billion light years... but *something* introduced a tiny bit of chaos in the beginning, causing what you see today as a universe full of variety, and of course, life here on earth.

There is a huge problem in this society, to view people that do not have the same thoughts and desires as everyone else as being mentally ill. People should not be given the wrong impression like that, and you should not be supporting such things. Homogenization is the true illness, as well as forced religious indoctrination.

Your comment was a joke though... but it did remind me of some of the problems western society faces, as pop corporate culture creeps into every facet of daily life.

I agree with the poster that said that, though he does not use the controls, having the tone controls and not needing them is better than the alternative. I also agree with those that say instead of tone controls we spend much more money on almost the same concept in cables and other accessories. I do not buy the argument that well implemented tone or EQ controls introduce phase problems. Cables can introduce those issues, as they are also conducting A/C, and generally much longer than the couple inches inside the pre section where a tone control sits, therefore they have their own EM interference, however small it may be, but certainly greater than a well designed tone circuit.

As long as these features are used in moderation, I don't see anything wrong with them, and I wish more hifi equipment made today had those options. Every recording is not perfect, and *some* of those problems can be addressed... if we had the controls that is.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,150
    edited March 2008
    Options
    how 'bout them Red Sox?
  • furball
    edited March 2008
    Options
  • rskarvan
    edited March 2008
    Options
    Yashu, you seem like a reasonably intelligent fellow. In this spirit, I sincerely ask you: what outside assurances do you have that you are not self-deluded? Seriously, you speak of death as the ultimate perfection. That is more than a little odd.

Have you seen the movie "A beautiful mind"? Or, "The Number 23"? In both of these flicks, reasonably intelligent people go into their own mind and define for themselves a new reality that is (uhmm) significantly different than the majority.

The last point to ponder is that it is a rare occasion when a mentally ill person seeks mental help all on their own initiative. All the normal people seek out mental health professionals to cope with life's problems while the "abnormally developed intellects" believe themselves to be perfectly fine (or, better than fine... gifted).

Just some thoughts to reflect upon. Have a nice day.
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited March 2008
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    how 'bout them Red Sox?

WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited March 2008
    Options
    I feel like I just stepped into the twilight zone.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • furball
    edited March 2008
    Options
    Once upon a blue moon, in the thickness of a tropical rainforest, there resided a group of monkeys. They were content and happy and thought themselves masters of the world.

One day, one monkey, some would say a peculiar monkey, decided that he would like to climb dowm from the trees and walk on two legs. The rest of the monkeys laughed at him, scorned him, and all thought he was, strange.

And the rest, as we all know, is history.

The far descendants of that one strange monkey came to rule the world. And the descendants of those who laughed at that one strange monkey, well, they are still monkeys, and are still living happily in their ignorant bliss in that old rainforest.

And today, after all those many blue moons, another monkey decided that instead of seeing the world right side up, he wants to see the world upside down. And again, many other monkeys decide to laugh at him.

Who knows, in the many blue moons yet to come, who knows what will happen.;)

Yashu wrote: »
    My thought patterns are a gift, not an illness. When I was younger I did go "seek help", but there was nothing wrong to begin with. I was just smart. All I had to do was come to terms that it was ok to not be like everyone else. It is not a disease, or an illness, to be smart, or to see the world, and the universe, from alternate perspectives. Intelligence and spirituality are intertwined, and while it is absurd to objectify it (which is what most modern theistic religions do), the fact that the universe has a clear beginning, and a clear structure, as in, it is logical, order derived from chaos, it is hard not to wonder what is beyond, what came before, and what caused it to begin. The rest we already know. Had the universe began as a uniform expansion, there would be nothing but evenly spaced particles for 14 billion light years... but *something* introduced a tiny bit of chaos in the beginning, causing what you see today as a universe full of variety, and of course, life here on earth.

There is a huge problem in this society, to view people that do not have the same thoughts and desires as everyone else as being mentally ill. People should not be given the wrong impression like that, and you should not be supporting such things. Homogenization is the true illness, as well as forced religious indoctrination.

Your comment was a joke though... but it did remind me of some of the problems western society faces, as pop corporate culture creeps into every facet of daily life.
  • furball
    edited March 2008
    Options
    There is a fine line between genius and madness. But who is to say who decides to draw that line where.

Uniformity gives a society stability. But it is those unique elements that advance a society.

Galileo was burned at the stake. People thought he was mad. Madness indeed.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited March 2008
    Options
    He wasn't burned at the stake....unless its simply metaphorically speaking.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,743
    edited March 2008
    Options
    dorokusai wrote: »
    He wasn't burned at the stake....unless its simply metaphorically speaking.

And humans did not evolve from monkeys either, but what the hell, he's on a roll.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited March 2008
    Options
    Test Tube Babies Gone WILD!!!!
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Engineering Technical Services Manager Posts: 0
    edited March 2008
    Options
    What about the loudness knob??????????????? Let's get back to the topic Guys.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Engineering Technical Services Manager Posts: 0
    edited March 2008
    Options
    More like meth lab gone wrong
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,911
    edited March 2008
    Options
    All this over a "loudness knob"??.......jeez...I'm gonna leave it at that.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • rskarvan
    edited March 2008
    Options
    Turned all the way up (clockwise), my Yamaha loudness knob has units tha read "FLAT". Turned down, it reads -10, -20, etc. Its strange that its named a "loudness" knob when all it really does is attenuate the signal. Why isn't it called the "Quiet" knob since it is primarily used for listening to music at lower volumes? Hmmm