cross over and large vs small settings?

Options
higgins79
higgins79 Posts: 72
edited February 2008 in Speakers
I could use a little help. I have messed with the cross overs at both 60 and 80 and tried both small and large settings my fronts and center. Each time i mess with it it does sound different but i cant tell which sounds better. I know its up to each individual as what sounds "good" but i was hoping for some help onthe ideal settings here. I use my system mostly for movies and gaming (first person shooters) i feel like for the sheer size of my speakers they are being "underused" if thats the correct term with how i currently have them set up. any thoughts would be appreciated :eek:
TV ................Sony kdl52xbr4
Reciever ........Denon AVR 988
Amp -............Monster MPA 2250
Bluray............Sony PS3 (80gig)
Hddvd............xbox 360 Hddvd
Power centers.Monster 3600II & 2600II & 1600 x2
Voltage..........Monster AVS 2000
Fronts ...........polk Rti12s
Center ..........polk Csi5
Rears.............polk Fxi5s
Sub ..............Infinity PS12
cables............Monster / DIY
Video games...XBOX 360 / Wii
Post edited by higgins79 on

Comments

• polkstuff
    polkstuff Posts: 1
    edited February 2008
    Options
    I use small, even though I have rti12's and an external amp.
  • crd2002
    crd2002 Posts: 174
    edited February 2008
    Options
    the 12's have subs so I set it to large and all the other ones to 80hz and it sound great I also have a sub
    Home Theater sony 52 inch lcd,Cinenova grande 7 channel, polk RTI8,CSI5,FXI5,onkyo 805
    2 Channel rig Sunfire grand cinema 5ch,sunfire TGA III,Rotel 1072,polk RTI12,Monster hts 5100
  • a5ehren
    a5ehren Posts: 23
    edited February 2008
    Options
    Set them all to Large - put the crossover for the 12s at 30 Hz if you really want to set one. Setting it at 60 or 80 Hz is robbing you of the bottom of the speakers' frequency response, wasting those expensive woofers that you paid for. If you want to set one for the center, put it at 50 or 60 Hz.

The "Small" setting on most receivers is designed for micro sats or other speakers with small main drivers - it essentially drops all the bass for those speakers!
  • higgins79
    higgins79 Posts: 72
    edited February 2008
    Options
    i think i am confused why there is a small and large setting and a crossover setting. dont they do the same things then?:confused:
    TV ................Sony kdl52xbr4
    Reciever ........Denon AVR 988
    Amp -............Monster MPA 2250
    Bluray............Sony PS3 (80gig)
    Hddvd............xbox 360 Hddvd
    Power centers.Monster 3600II & 2600II & 1600 x2
    Voltage..........Monster AVS 2000
    Fronts ...........polk Rti12s
    Center ..........polk Csi5
    Rears.............polk Fxi5s
    Sub ..............Infinity PS12
    cables............Monster / DIY
    Video games...XBOX 360 / Wii
  • jakelm
    jakelm Posts: 4,081
    edited February 2008
    Options
    higgins79 wrote: »
    i think i am confused why there is a small and large setting and a crossover setting. dont they do the same things then?:confused:

That question just confused me.:confused:

Large setting = all frequencies (0hz - ~>20khz) sent to speaker

Small setting = frequencies over a crossover point sent to that speaker. Crossover point can be adjusted (40, 60, 80, 100, 120, 150) to fit the speaker and/or room enviroment.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
  • ryanjoachim
    ryanjoachim Posts: 2,046
    edited February 2008
    Options
    I've heard people here posting about their RTi10's and such saying that it's actually a BAD thing to set your towers to Large.

I can't remember why they said that...but they did!
    MrNightly wrote: »
    "Dr Dunn admitted that his research could also be interpreted as evidence that women are shallower than men. He said: "Let's face it - there's evidence to support it."
    mystik610 wrote: »
    Best Buy is for people who don't know any better. Magnolia is for people who don't know any better and have more money to spend.
    My System:

TV: SAMSUNG UN55B7000 55" 1080p LED HDTV
    HTPC: Chromecast w/ Plex Media Server. Media streamed from Media Server.
  • jakelm
    jakelm Posts: 4,081
    edited February 2008
    Options
    Setting your speakers to large or small, depends intirely on room acoustics, phase and handling ability. You can have huge towers, if you use a sub, there is a high chance you will set those towers to small, because of phase and frequency blend.

Do not look at the size of the speaker to determine weather you set them to large or small.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
  • devani
    devani Posts: 1,497
    edited February 2008
    Options
    jakelm wrote: »
    Do not look at the size of the speaker to determine weather you set them to large or small.

O rly? :D that's how i see boob..:rolleyes:
    Video: LG 55LN5100/Samsung LNT4065F
    Receiver: HK AVR445
    Source: OPPO BDP-93
    HT: POLK SPEAKERS RTi6, FXi3, CSi5, VTF-3 MK2
    2Ch system: MC2105, AR-XA, AR-2A, AR9, BX-300, OPPO BDP-83
  • manofmars
    Options
    I have a Denon AVR-S720W 7.2 Surround Sound with Polk's all the way. It took about 3 days of sitting in my recliner playing with it before I was happy. There are so many combinations it's insane. There is no right way. There's what you like so change it until you're happy. I don't consider myself an audiophile but I have been building systems 45 years and have found out it takes a lot of time to get it the way you want it. Peace and Blessings. Brother Boles
  • Snarl
    Snarl Posts: 2
    Options
    If it help's I'm running RTi A9's that have a similar spec to the 12's driven with a clean 200 Watts per channel. Currently I have my Processor set to cross over at 40Hz for the mains and the Speakers set to small. That give me better sound than setting them to large. I am also playing with a 60Hz crossover but I'm still not sure what sounds best (it's pretty close). I have a Paradigm PW-2100 Sub (10") handling the LFE and crossed over Bass.
    Cheers: Snarl

Another guy from Canada
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    Your room layout will have a lot to do with it. I have my RTi8's set @ 60. Doesn't matter which receiver I have used on them Sony, Onkyo or Marantz. 60 sounds best to me. My bedroom setup with smaller RTi4 sounds best @50. So I think the room has a lot more to do with it.

Play with it and see which sound best to you.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music