CS100 causes monitor distortion

Options
JimMueller
JimMueller Posts: 100
edited December 2002 in Troubleshooting
I've recently noticed that my CS100 is causing display glitches in my 32" Sony XBR. When I'm listening to source material in normal Dolby Surround, i get a vertical interference band in the center of the TV. If I switch to Phantom mode, wherein the center channel is generated indirectly by the SDA-1C's, the distortion disappears.

I read on another thread that the CS-100's are shielded. I have the speaker positioned horizontally on the top center of the TV, parallel with the front edge's of the 1C's. I don't have much room on top of the TV to move them forward or backward, and I don't care for the imaging generated when the CS100 is vertical.

I'm also noticing 'buzzing' coming from the speakers. I'm not sure how to diagnose the source of that problem. Are there any recommended 'tweaks' on the equipment below? Seems to me I read a review on another board which said something about re-wiring and/or replacing the crossovers in the 1C's, etc.

I'm not sure if this will help, but my system consists of:

Carver TFM-42, powering SDA-1C's
Carver AV-634, bridged 3/4 channel powers CS-100, Channel 1/2 powers RM-3000 system
Sony TA-E1000ESD Control Amp

Thanks!

Jim
Yamaha RX-2600 receiver, Nakamichi Dragon, Mitsubishi HS-U80 VCR, Pioneer DVL-90 LD Player, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray player, Sony CDP-X555ES CD player, Carver TFM-42, Carver AV-634, Panasonic TC-P54V10 plasma, BenQ W1070 PJ, Fisher MT-90 turntable, AKG-K340 headphones, Polk SDA-1C mains, CS-400i center, FX A4 surrounds, Rti A1 surround backs
Post edited by JimMueller on

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Hello Jim,
    Thanks for participating in the Forum. What you've described doesn't seem to be a problem normally associated with stray magnetic fields effecting a television set from a speaker. In that instance, the symptoms are usually greenish or purplish tinting of the picture near where the speaker is placed. A vertical interference line is more symptomatic of a source related problem, the visual equivalent of humming in a speaker. Also, any stray magnetic field would be present even if the speaker was disconnected from the receiver, let alone just switched to "phantom" mode. Can you describe a little more what source you're playing? Is this a VCR or DVD providing the signal? Does the vertical line change with source changes, going from one source to another? Is the speaker wire, coming from your receiver to the center channel speaker running down the back of the set?
    Once I have some additional information I can help eliminate the problem.
    Regards, Ken Swauger
  • JimMueller
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Hi Ken,

I rarely use the VCR anymore, but the situations I've noticed were from various DVD's. The speaker cable is laid down the exterior of the rear of the monitor on the left handside (viewed from the front).

The DVD player is a Pioneer DVL-90, attached via PCM to the Sony control amp, which is attached via standard RCA plug to the AV-634 3rd channel.

I'll connect the PSX and watch a few tapes and see what other info I can collect.

Thanks for your help!
    Yamaha RX-2600 receiver, Nakamichi Dragon, Mitsubishi HS-U80 VCR, Pioneer DVL-90 LD Player, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray player, Sony CDP-X555ES CD player, Carver TFM-42, Carver AV-634, Panasonic TC-P54V10 plasma, BenQ W1070 PJ, Fisher MT-90 turntable, AKG-K340 headphones, Polk SDA-1C mains, CS-400i center, FX A4 surrounds, Rti A1 surround backs
  • NDTA
    NDTA Posts: 83
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Jim

I have the same problem with my CS175 (sold it) before, if you just try to move your speaker further away from your TV to see if the problem is going away (in my case it did). For the buzzing part, try to see if the speaker wire is connected properly to your receiver (+/_), or replace it with another one to see it will take care of the problem. MC sells several surge protectors with noise filter built in it probably helps in your situation also.
  • jdavy
    jdavy Posts: 380
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Sony tv's are notorious for shielding issues. I have a 35" XBR my self. BTW I see you have a Laserdisc player. Still play them? Any how you can remove you center and see if that i the problem. SDA's can use donut shaped magnets to alter the magnetic field. You can get them from polk. Call Ken @ polk and get advice from the experts.
  • JimMueller
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Sorry for the delay. The interference happens regardless of video source, and appears to be more prominent at higher volume levels. The horizontal top surface of my 32XBR100 is only about 3/4 of the depth of the bottom of the CS100. The rest of the top is beveled at an angle. Not much room to move front to back.

jdavy: I lost a couple dozen LD's due to fire, but the remainder I still watch on occasion. There are things about LD that I prefer to DVD format at the moment (at least with my player). For instance, quicker load time, and faster scanning (and in both directions). Too many hesitations & delays between chapters, between layers & too much big brother control on DVD. I still buy them, but it's a mixed blessing. I miss the jog/shuttle wheel on my previous CLD-3030. In Saving Private Ryan, right about the time the get the exit from Omaha beach and the find the Hitler youth knife, there are fires in the background. I get vertical white banding in this scene and it's always bothered me. I presume it's the player. $0.02