Is George going bye, bye?

sgtgto
sgtgto Posts: 310
edited February 27 in Clubhouse Archives
Hi George:

Is the military buildup going to involve you? If so, where would you be going?

Gary
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited September 2001
    They have not told us a thing. This is very hush, hush. Doesn't take a genius though to figure out they need tankers and that they will need them on a regular basis.

We get intel briefs on a regular basis. They give us info, but not a lot regarding our own movements. Geographically, Jersey is the perfect air bridge location. As I typed the last sentence, the guy on the early morning news stated, "Of course, the tankers will probably be the first to deploy". Historically, we get activated "in place". We operate out of McGuire. In a protracted conflict, we will probably relieve the tanker crews that initially deploy to forward operating locations. While a response is warranted, my heart is really breaking. Our children will inherit this war. This will not be over anytime soon. I don't mean to sound like Chicken Little, but what we are seeing and hearing could EASILY be the opening salvos of World War III.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grand's)
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited September 2001
    George again speaks with much wisdom......Of the operations that I have been involved with, this is EXTREMELY quiet, and with good reason. I see this akin to fighting the dragon that as soon as you cut one head off, two more appear. Having said that, we have a job to do and we need to stick with it.

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited September 2001
    You would be referring to the mythical hydra. I would say that is likely a very good description of what we're facing.

Aaron
  • TroyD
    edited September 2001
    I was at a loss for the proper nomenclature.....
  • George Grand
    edited September 2001
    Thanks for the comp Troy. You don't do too bad yourself.

Gary, I KNOW you are a vet and a patriot. Our GROUND troops are truly going to be the ones in harms way. Our pontential adversaries in this one don't have much of an anti-air capability. The fliers that are in harms way will be the helicopter gunships, and the close support aircraft that operate at low altitudes. The enemy was sold a BUNCH of Stinger shoulder fired missiles BY OUR GOVERNMENT, when they were battling the Russians. The Stingers are HELL on low flying aircraft. They also have all the hardware the Russians left behind when they threw in the towel and went home.

The B-52's, while capable of dropping HELL on them from ten miles up, where they can't be seen or heard for that matter, cannot get down in the dirt and root these cockroaches out of their holes. The low fliers and the ground units will have to do that, at great personal risk. These are the troops who are going to have their hands full.

• gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited September 2001
    I hope you don't have to go George. Most of the Military computers don't (didn't at my time) wouldn't have access to The Forum. Not to mention personal views about the whole thing that I won't get into.

On a positive note. I DID take my 10Bs to Saudi (damn Signal Corps). But then again the Amazings may not fit in a tank.

An honest GOOD LUCK!
    Make it Funky! :)
  • TroyD
    edited September 2001
    How long have you been out? The military is online EVERYWHERE now. heh,heh,heh.

Troy
  • wodom1
    wodom1 Posts: 1,054
    edited September 2001
    george, you an air force tanker pilot? my brother's a navy f-18 driver out of oceana, va. the day of this whole incident he was scrambled to cover new york and dc. he just got assigned to a new squadron, VFA-37 "Bulls" aboard the USS Harry S Truman. you might end up giving him a refill sometime soon...
    "I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

SOPA. Bow down before me, ****. Want a cookie?

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Samsung LN-T4061F 40" 1080P LCD HDTV
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
    Soundstage Vacuum II tube pre
  • George Grand
    edited September 2001
    KC-135 boom operator wodom. I think it was Navy Oceana that we diverted into about a week before I got married in 1983. Or Navy Norfolk which is right down the road.

Best of luck to your bro.