What's the deal with electrostatic speakers?

Options
lsi9dwg
lsi9dwg Posts: 4
edited November 2002 in Speakers
How about a healthy discussion about electrostatic speakers?

I'm guessing that this question will cause riot from all you Polkologists and the like. :supermad:

So........what does everyone think? Do they have merit?
What is good or bad about them? Is the technology inferior/superior to traditional speaker design,
or simply just a different way of pursuing an end?

I really don't have an opinion on the subject, I'm a happy Polk traditionalist. I just want to know what the collective
knowledge base out there thinks. :)
Post edited by lsi9dwg on

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited November 2002
    Options
    It depends on what you are looking for.

IMO, they have a LOT going for them. They don't have cabinet resonance issues because there is no cabinet. The are usually incredibly transparent, very detailed. The stereo image is usually impeccable.

Some of the drawbacks are that they tend to be very placement sensitive for one. The also can be very demanding on an amp, so of the nominal ohm loads aren't much more than a short circuit. They are expensive, and if you want deep bass, even more expensive......

I tend to think of them as a purist speaker, if you are looking for transparency and detail without being on a budget, electrostats are probably the way to go.

I like my Polks, but give me a pair of the old Dayton Wrights or KLH-9's and NOW we are talking...

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Troy just mentioned everything I have heard and read about electrostats. Accurate, transparent, very detailed, lack some bass, etc.

I think mantis have installed electrostats in the past. Maybe he could enlighten us with his electrostats experience.

It seems like they have their own followers, much like Klipsch. People who don't like them complain about their lack of dynamics. But electrostats lovers say they're the most accurate and detailed. It's like Klipsch haters saying Klipsch are too bright and Klipsch owners saying horns are more accurate and detailed.

Maurice
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited November 2002
    Options
    my self i like dynamic speakers better than electrostats there is some reason that the e-s dont blend with bass, they are missing something, they have great highs & no lows. wend they add a sub it seems they still dont work right.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Something seems fishy about this thread, but I can't quite put my finger on it.