sub box, 72 chevy c10?

Options
bcbasketball11
bcbasketball11 Posts: 1
edited March 2008 in Custom Fabrication
Hey guys,

I just turned sixteen and was fortunate enough to come across an EXTREMELY clean and well kept 1972 Chevrolet C/10. I'm putting my sound system in at the moment and have a few questions. . .I don't want to move the gas tank from behind the seat for subs, so I'm considering a floor console sub box. I'm probably only doing one 10" sub and I want to face it at an upward angle toward the seat. I have excellent woodworking skills so don't let my age discourage ideas. Should it be enclosed, ported? I am not very familiar with stereo set-ups but am open to ANY available advice. I'm fairly certain I'm placing tweeters above the a/c ball vents in the dash and a 3-way 6x9 in each door. Nothing is written in stone so I am open to any ideas. Anything is much appreciated!

Thanks,
Chase
Post edited by bcbasketball11 on

Comments

• zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited January 2008
    Options
    Congrats on the sweet truck and welcome! (and post pictures)
    Enclosed would be the easiest, and in a small cab like that, you don't need to up the output with ports or anything like that. Pick a sub you think will fit, and then build a box with dimensions based off of the companys suggestions. Easy as pie!
  • ShinAce
    ShinAce Posts: 1,194
    edited January 2008
    Options
    If you're willing to sacrifice a bit if space, go ported. If you want to keep it clean, just do a sealed box.

You can make a box in the console area with the sub firing toward the seat, but I wouldn't fire it upwards. Try to fire straight back. You could make an odd shaped box like a trapezoidal prism.

Things to consider would be an 8" sub per door. If you can fiberglass, some kickpods for the 6"x9".

With good upholstery, that can be a clean looking ride. A big box in the middle would be hard to finish properly. You can't carpet it and expect it to look cool. A wood finish might not match the interior.
  • Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited January 2008
    Options
    OK i have expierience here 2 small boxes with eights in them work great. I have 3 trucks and so far thats what works very well . 6.5 in the doors. They just fit under the springs under the seat springs and adjuster. Put the amp in between on the hump . I ran a fosgate 60.2 to some mtx 8s and it would thunder in stereo. In mono it was way too much for them lil buggers. but it was very surprising how much those eights thumped in the old trucks. Hily recommend it I first ran s small Sony explode amp and it was probaly better long term 60.2 was a lil stout on them. But its hard to go backwards until something blows hahaha.

The thing too boot is theres no apperance change like center consoles or pods " not knocking them"
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • cgarnes
    cgarnes Posts: 6
    edited March 2008
    Options
    streetsource.com
    Reader Profiles: mdalex
    He works for Polk.
    Get some ideas.
  • Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited March 2008
    Options
    He has some good ideas dang nice truck ....... cant drive it like a real truck though !!!!

How can you drive it like a real truck with all that hanging on your truck !!!!!!!!
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables