The Recipe Thread

Comments

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited July 2008
    Stevie's REAL Margarita:

- No REAL margarita ever sees the inside of a blender, with that said....
    - Rememeber 3:2:1
    - 3 parts blanco (non-aged) Tequila: 2 parts triple sec: 1 part lime juice
    - Combine w/crushed ice in a shaker
    - shake & bake
    - Pour in a kosher coarse salt lined glass (use a lime to make it stick)

That's a REAL Margarita.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    edited July 2008
    demaples wrote: »
    I like this thread and the recipies sound great. I'll have to think about some of mine, however like my ladyfriend says, I never cook something the same way twice. Just depends on my mood and what I find in the cabinet. I like to smoke ribs, or grill steaks too. I tend to use many different things to marinate and sautee like wine, liquor, dales seasoning, italian dressing, mojo. Whatever I cook usually has garlic added at one time or another. Thanks!
    Mmmmmmm, Mojo.....:D Now that's some good stuff there!

Now who was it that said this thread was gonna die? :p
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited July 2008
    Anybody have a recipe that incorporates chorizo? I'm a freakin' junkie when it comes to that stuff.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited July 2008
    Anybody have a recipe that incorporates chorizo? I'm a freakin' junkie when it comes to that stuff.

I do, it's my wet burrito recipe. I'll post it when I have some time to think about all of the ingredients.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited July 2008
    Chorizo is great in stuffed mushrooms.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • treitz3
    edited July 2008
    Jstas wrote: »
    I was going to contribute a while ago but when I went to write down some recipes, but I found that most of the stuff I make that people like isn't due to a creative recipe but more due to the skill in cooking it properly. Trying to relate that to words is difficult to say the least.
    This should help......a really good book that has a plethora of information only Grandma knows is "What's a cook to do?" by James Peterson. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys cooking or just plain wants to know what you can't find out.

14331824.JPG

It's obviously not the be all to end all of how to cook, but this is a novices to a seasoned at home cook that yearns to know more. Excellent book IMO.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Demiurge
    edited July 2008
    Dave's Wet Burritos

This is a recipe that you can adjust to your personal liking. I like to make a whole bunch of these and freeze the extras for lunch during the week. I used to make this a lot when I was a younger and on a budget. The refried beans really stretches out the meat in this recipe for a meal that can last an entire week.

Ingredients:

1lb Ground Beef
    1lb Chorizo
    2 - 16oz Cans of Authentic Refried Beans
    2 - 4oz Cans of Diced Green Chiles
    10oz Can Green Chile Enchilada Sauce
    8 oz Shredded Cheddar Cheese
    8 oz Shredded Monterrey Jack Cheese
    1 Medium Yellow Onion - Diced
    2 Medium Ripe Tomatoes - Diced
    1 Head of Lettuce - Chopped
    1 tbsp Minced Garlic
    1 tsp Cumin
    1 tsp Kosher Salt
    1 tsp Fresh Ground Black Pepper
    12 Large Flour Tortillas
    16oz Sour Cream

Preparation:

In a large skillet, combine Chorizo and Ground beef and cook thoroughly. When done, drain and discard excess grease. On medium heat, add in your diced onion, cumin, salt, and ground black pepper to the meat. Cook onions through until translucent. Add the minced garlic and cook for another 2-3 minutes.

Add the cans of Diced Green Chiles and Refried Beans to the meat. Mix well, cover, and reduce heat to a simmer for 5 minutes.

:::IMPORTANT:::

On a microwave safe place 1 tortilla shell and put it in the microwave on high for 20 seconds. As soon as it's done, pull it out and fill it with some of your meat and bean mixture. Top it with some tomatoes, lettuce, and cheese. Roll it up and fold the ends under it and place it on a plate for serving. Repeat until you're out of shells.

Put a splash of the enchilada sauce and a dollop of sour cream and enjoy!

This goes well with some spanish rice on the side and a margarita.
  • treitz3
    edited August 2008
    Chicken Supremo!

OK, stumbled across this the other day trying to use some of my s'cetti sauce......

Take boneless **** of chicken, 4 or 5 of them.
    Place on a non-stick pan. Smother the outside of the chicken with canned mushrooms, tucking then toward the chicken. Lots of them. A couple of mushrooms can go on top so the flavor trickles down.
    Sprinkle with Oregano, don't be shy now.
    Bake at 350 until the chicken is "about" up to temp.
    Lay provolone cheese slices over all chicken.
    Spread my spaghetti sauce over it all.
    Sprinkle Parmesan cheese [grated] over all of it.
    Cook until cheese melts.
    Serve.

Wow! What a wonderful dish. I just can't get enough!!! Made it two times in the past two weeks and I'm doing it again right now.........Freakin' Awesome!!!
  • treitz3
    edited August 2008
    Found another thread as well.....check this one out!

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53184&highlight=recipie
  • xeb
    xeb Posts: 31
    edited August 2008
    Pizza Bianco

take one pre-rolled pizza base (or make/roll one out yourself if you're that game). spread with olive oil. GOOD olive oil. now crush up some garlic and spread that around. LOTS of garlic. now get some potatoes, slice about 5mm thick (sorry americans I life in metric-land), parboil until starting to get soft but not turning to mush (should be less than 10mins). after cooked run them under cold water so you don't burn youself and then spread them over the pizza base. take a good helping of fresh rosemary (don't be trying this with any dried rubbish, needs to be fresh) and sprinkle that over. now get some fresh mozzarella (again gotta be fresh!) and slice it and cover about half to 2/3rds of the pizza with that (probably more than one ball of mozzarella). on goes a bit more rosemary, some rock salt and a good splash of olive oil. cook till it looks like it's cooked. eat. drink wine while eating. lots of wine.
  • Demiurge
    edited September 2008
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited September 2008
    CRAB MEAT IMPERIAL

I came up with this one after some experimentation. It is great by itself or used as stuffing for lobster, mushrooms, filet mignon, shrimp, large veal chops, clams, or wrapped with bacon, ETC..

Here we go:

Crab Meat Imperial

-1/2 cup Mayo (Hellman’s of course)
    -1 slightly beaten jumbo egg
    -1/2 cup finely minced green pepper
    -1 to 1 1/2 tbs finely minced pimento (I found that the jarred Cento Brand --works best)
    -1 tsp Colmans dried mustard
    -1/2 tsp of Sea or Kosher Salt (use more to taste if you like)
    -3/4 tsp of freshly cracked Black Pepper (I love black pepper so I use more)
    --Paprika (Hungarian)
    -1/8 tsp (more if you like a little more zing, which of course I do) Cayenne --Pepper
    -1 lb of Jumbo Lump Crab Meat
    -8 oz. can of crab claw meat

Pick through the crab meat to make sure there are no shells.

Mix mayo, egg, green pepper, pimento, mustard, salt, black pepper, and cayenne Pepper. If it is too dry, add more mayo a little at a time until you reach the desired consistency.

Add Crab Meat, stir very carefully to coat the crab meat...use a rubber spatula. Place in casserole or stuff whatever, heaping the mixture. Top mixture with a thin coat of mayo. Sprinkle with Paprika.

For Crab Meat Imperial alone, bake at 350 degrees -- 20 minutes. For dishes where the mixture is used as stuffing, it is done when the main product is done.

If you like add some lemon juice (fresh, not the reconstituted stuff) in the mixture or on top after it has been cooked.

Then smile, smile, smile, and think of me.
  • hearingimpared
    edited September 2008
    Roast Ribs of Bigfoot

Dry Aged Standing Rib Roast

I modified this recipe from an episode of Alton Brown's Good Eats on the Food Network.

-1 (4-bone-in) standing rib roast, preferably from the loin end
    -Canola oil, to coat roast
    -Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to cover entire roast
    -1 cup water
    -1 cup red wine

Remove any plastic wrapping or butcher's paper from the roast. Place the standing rib roast upright onto a half sheet pan fitted with a rack. The rack is essential for drainage. Place dry towels loosely on top of the roast. This will help to draw moisture away from the meat. Place into a refrigerator at approximately 50 to 60 percent humidity and between 34 and 38 degrees F. You can measure both with a refrigerator thermometer. Change the towels daily for 3 to 5 days. The longer the better in that the dry aging process will intensify the flavor of the meat. Steak houses dry age their beef up to six months.

Turn the oven to 250 degrees F.

Remove the roast from the refrigerator at least an hour before cooking and rub with canola oil. You may note a funky smell but that is okay; it is the dry aging smell of success. Any leathery dried out pieces should be trimmed off. Remember to rub the bones with oil, as well. Once the roast is completely coated with oil cover the roast with kosher salt, about half a teaspoon per bone. Next, rub with freshly ground pepper to coat the surface. Place the roast over a glass bake-ware dish slightly smaller than the length of the roast. This will catch the drippings needed for the sauce. Finally, place a probe thermometer into the center of the roast and set for 118 degrees. Put the roast and the bake-ware dish in a large Dutch oven or covered baking vessel and place in the center of the oven. Turn the oven down to 200 degrees F and roast until internal temperature is achieved.

Remove the roast and turn oven up to 500 degrees F. Remove the lid and recover with heavy-duty foil. Allow the roast to rest until an internal temperature of 130 degrees F. is reached. Place the roast back into the preheated 500 degree F oven for about 10 minutes or until you've achieved your desired crust. Remove and transfer roast to a cutting board. Keep covered with foil until ready to serve.

Degrease the juices in the glass pan. Place the pan over low heat and deglaze with 1 cup of water. Add the wine and reduce by half. Strain and serve on the side.

I served this at one of my mini Polkfests and Ohskigod (Louie) & Fireman32 (Dave) can attest to the awesome flavor of this method of cooking prime rib.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited November 2008
    Just something simple for a yucky rainy miserable day like today.

6 medium red potatoes
    2 small yellow onions
    4 carrots peeled and sliced, or a lb of baby carrots(preferred)
    3/4 cup of celery
    3 large, or 4 smaller squirrels
    Some all purpose flour

Of coarse clean and skin the squirrels
    soak for 2-3 days in a mild brine solution
    add squirrels, and brine to a large pot with the onions how ever you prefer them. Simmer for 2 hours. Remove carcasses, and cool with cold water. Pick them clean of meat returning it to the pot.
    Bring to a boil, and add carrots, and cubed potatoes. Adjust water to your preference.
    In a large glass measuring cup use about a cup very cold water mix in 1/4 cup of flour. Mix till you see no lumps.
    Stir into stew about half the mixture(you may want to add the rest depending how thick you like your stew)
    Add ground Black Pepper, and salt to taste.
    cook for 20 minutes low boil.
    Add celery, and turn down heat. Continue to cook for at least 30 minutes more on low. You can transfer to a crock pot if you like to have some hot stew handy. It doesn't last too long. Especially if you have company;) My daughter who doesn't like onions, potatoes, carrots, or celery loves the stuff except for the celery. She is 5:) Well I am going for another bowl. This can be modified, but keep the ingredients simple. Some Yankee's like turnips in their stew.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited November 2008
    ben62670 wrote: »
    Just something simple for a yucky rainy miserable day like today.

6 medium red potatoes
    2 small yellow onions
    4 carrots peeled and sliced, or a lb of baby carrots(preferred)
    3/4 cup of celery
    3 large, or 4 smaller squirrels
    Some all purpose flour

Of coarse clean and skin the squirrels
    soak for 2-3 days in a mild brine solution
    add squirrels, and brine to a large pot with the onions how ever you prefer them. Simmer for 2 hours. Remove carcasses, and cool with cold water. Pick them clean of meat returning it to the pot.
    Bring to a boil, and add carrots, and cubed potatoes. Adjust water to your preference.
    In a large glass measuring cup use about a cup very cold water mix in 1/4 cup of flour. Mix till you see no lumps.
    Stir into stew about half the mixture(you may want to add the rest depending how thick you like your stew)
    Add ground Black Pepper, and salt to taste.
    cook for 20 minutes low boil.
    Add celery, and turn down heat. Continue to cook for at least 30 minutes more on low. You can transfer to a crock pot if you like to have some hot stew handy. It doesn't last too long. Especially if you have company;) My daughter who doesn't like onions, potatoes, carrots, or celery loves the stuff except for the celery. She is 5:) Well I am going for another bowl. This can be modified, but keep the ingredients simple. Some Yankee's like turnips in their stew.

If I didn't already think your were crazy, I'd believe you were 'effin' nuts.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • ben62670
    edited November 2008
    Dude. I am surrounded by Oaks. This was a great year for acorns, no growth hormones, and you just can't get any fresher:) I'll try to save you a bowl for tomorrow afternoon, but at this rate there won't be any left;)
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • hearingimpared
    edited November 2008
    Nice recipe bro I love squirrel stew however it has nothing on rabbit stew or fried rabbit Italian style for that matter.
  • ben62670
    edited November 2008
    Nice recipe bro I love squirrel stew however it has nothing on rabbit stew or fried rabbit Italian style for that matter.

Dude you just made my mouth water! One of my favorites is Southern Fried Rabbit(another simple recipe) with white gravy, and biscuits, but I don't have them in the yard:(
    Thanks
    Ben
  • treitz3
    edited November 2008
    TOM’S TOP SECRET PECAN SANDIES RECIPE

INGREDIENTS
    • 1 cup butter, softened overnight
    • 1 cup vegetable oil
    • 1/2 cup white sugar and ½ cup brown sugar
    • 1 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
    • 2 eggs
    • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    • 4 cups all-purpose flour
    • 1 teaspoon baking soda
    • 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • 3 cups chopped pecans
    • 1/2 cup white sugar for decoration
    DIRECTIONS
    1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).

2. In a large bowl, cream together the margarine, vegetable oil, ½ cup white sugar, ½ cup brown sugar and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt; stir into the creamed mixture. Mix in the pecans. Roll dough into 1 inch balls and then form into the shape of a cookie. In a separate small bowl, place each cookie into sugar covering the bottom of cookie with sugar. Place the cookies 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.

3. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the edges are golden. Remove from cookie sheets to cool on wire racks.
    It is very important to beat the butter and vegetable oil with the sugars very, very thoroughly, until smooth and creamy, then add the other ingredients as the recipe states. If the dough is thin, put it in the refrigerator for about an hour to firm it up.
  • treitz3
    edited November 2008
    Ultimate Rotisserie Turkey Recipe

Marinade and rub ingredients and instructions.....

1/4 cup olive oil
    1/4 cup water
    3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    1 tablespoon sea salt
    2 tablespoons Moore's Marinade
    2 teaspoons garlic powder
    2 teaspoons minced onion
    1 teaspoon crushed garlic
    1 teaspoon ground sage
    1 teaspoon ground thyme
    1 teaspoon Morton's Nature's Seasoning
    1 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
    about 30 cranks of Italian Herb Grinder

Take this and combine all ingredients into a small saucepan and simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring about every minute or constantly for about 10 minutes. Allow to cool to room temperature.

After it cools, using a fine colander or screen separate the liquids from the solids. Take the liquids and put into a flavor injector, injecting small amounts of this liquid into all areas of the turkey. You don't want to have large pockets of marinade, just many small ones. When all of the liquid is used up, take the solids and rub the inside and outside of the turkey. Tie up the turkey to prepare it for the Rotisserie.

Place this in the refrigerator covered with saran wrap for anywhere between 8 hours [min.] to up to 2 days to allow the turkey to marinate and absorb the flavors of the rub.

When the turkey is done marinating, place it on the rods for the rotisserie and insert it into the rotisserie cooker. Place two small stove safe dishes or creme brulee' dishes in each of the two back corners of the rotisserie filled 3/4 full with water. Start the cooking immediately.

Whatever the time says for the turkey to cook, ignore it. It's gonna take about twice as long using this technique. Three things will be different if you have never tried cooking it his way. First off, usually you want to take the turkey out when the temperature is 175 degrees because it will continue cooking when you take it out but using this technique you can wait until the "popper" or whatever you call it pops. The second thing you will notice is that the skin will be very crispy and beautifully done, great color, texture and an incredible taste. The third thing you will notice is that even the white meat is still juicy three days after the turkey was cooked.

You know you nailed it when the dark meat just falls off the bone. Mmmm, Mmmm, good. ;)
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited November 2008
    Real Pizza
    If you want to make a truly great pizza here is my tried and true recipe:
    1 package of fresh dough from Trader Joe’s or anyplace that you can get it fresh.
    Olive oil
    Kosher salt
    1 small can/jar of spaghetti/pizza sauce, with a dash or two of red wine (freeze and save the rest).
    10 fresh basil leaves, torn into pieces
    2 garlic cloves chopped
    Topping of your choice (sausage and mushroom is my favorite)
    1 package of shredded Italian cheese

Take dough ball out of fridge and let warm for at least an hour. Roll out the dough and place on a pizza stone (for thicker pizza let the dough rise for a couple to several hours), brush on some olive oil, and sprinkle a pinch of kosher salt. Place in a preheated 400 degree oven for 5 minutes. Remove and add sauce, basil leaves, small amount of cheese, toppings, and remaining cheese. Bake for 12-14 minutes, or when cheese begins to turn golden brown. Cut and serve.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • Aldous_Huxley
    Aldous_Huxley Posts: 76
    edited January 2009
    Awesome Steak Recipe. All you need is a Cast Iron or heavy duty Skillet! NO GRILLS ON THIS ONE!!!

you will need:
    1. 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
    2. 3 small to medium size shallots or ONE to ONE and a HALF Large ones.
    3. 2 New York Strip or Ribeye Steaks. You can use other steaks but it tastes better when you use steaks that are marbled better. Filet MIgnon does not have much Marbling but you can use this if you have to.
    4. 1 to 1.5 cups of GOOD WHITE WINE!!! Not Cheap Stuff
    5. 3 TBSP Unsalted Butter
    6. Kosher Salt
    7. Fresh Cracked Pepper. DO NOT USE THE Cheap Pepper from the container in the back of your spice cabinet. Get whole peppercorns at the store and crush them youself, using a coffee grinder, or by just smashing them under the side of your chef's knife and chopping. Fresh Cracked Peppercorns have a lot of GOOD FLAVOR. Cheap pepper really sucks. I dont know why they even sell the stuff.
    8. 2 tsp of fresh thyme(chopped finely) AGAIN, Fresh from your garden or the grocery store at the veg department.
    9. 3 cups of beef stock. NOT BROTH! Stock is made from Bones which contain gelatin. Broth is made from Meat which has very little Gelatin.
    Gelatin is what gives food a nice mouth feel and texture. Ever seen meat that you refrigerated with the juices? Remember the jelly that formed when the juices cooled? Well that stuff is the Gelatin and it only comes from the connective tissue that connect bones and from cartlege.
    10. 2 tbsp Capers soaked in brine. Found at the grocery store in small jars.
    They give a nice brineyness and crispness to the pan sauce.
    11. 1/4 cup of slurry( 1 tbsp or corn starch mixed with 1/4 cup of H2O.) This is what thickens sauces.
    12. Two cups of Heavy Cream

PROCEDURE>>>>>>>

1. Get the skillet BLAZING HOT. Drip a Couple of DROPS OF water onto the skillet. if they skip around like little jumping beans, then its ready to go. reduce heat to Medium HIGH. Add 1 tbsp of the butter. Let it melt, and add the two steaks. Rub salt and pepper all over the steaks. Do not use too much salt because the sauce will be concentrated and have plenty of salt on its own. Toss the Steaks into the Blazing hot Butterd skillet and let them Caramelize and brown on the first side for 3 or 4 minutes and then flip them over. Crank up the heat to high for a minute or so and then reduce to medium high to let the inside catch up with the outside. Cook to your desired doneness. I use my finger and poke the steaks to check how well cooked they are. You may want to cut a small slit into the steak down to the middle of the steak so that you can check how well cooked it is. Pull steaks off of the skillet before they are finished cooking because they will continue to cook after taken off of the heat. This is called carry over cooking and can easily overcook your food if you arent careful.

2. Add the rest of the butter and let it melt. Toss in the shallots. let them cook for a few minutes and then toss in the garlic and thyme and capers. Do not add garlic before the shalltos because they can easily burn and ruin the dish. Let these ingredients cook for a few minutes and then Pour in the White WINE.

3. The wine is used to Deglaze the skillet. After pouring it into the skillet, Whisk Briskly to dissolve and unstick all of the YUMYUMs or FOND from the bottom of the skillet. The word Fond is short for Foundation. This means that the FOND IS THE FOUNDATION OF the PAN SAUCE. If the Wine catches on fire, Do not freak out. Just make sure that your vent fan is turned on before adding it, so that your fire alarm wont go off. The wine may or may not catch on fire. This technique of burning alcohol out of a sauce is called the "Flambe' ." The flame will eventually burn out on its own, usually within a couple of minutes. If the alcohol fails to ignits, that is alright too because the wine will boil out of the sauce on its own.

4. NOW.... ALLOW the Sauce to simmer for a few minutes until the skillet is almost dry, or "AU Sec."

5. When the skillet is "Au Sec" or "Almost Dry", Pour in a two or three cups of Beef Stock and begin whisking. Let the sauce reduce again into just a 3 or 4 ounces and then add another couple of cups of the beef stock. Let it reduce again for a few minuts down to about 5 or so ounces. Pour in the cream and whisk briskly to combine and homogenize the ingredients. Taste. Add Salt and Pepper as needed. You can add a tiny bit of NutMeg to give it a little ZING. Do not use to much though, just a tiny little pinch because a little nutmeg goes a very very long way.

6. spoon the sauce over the steaks and serve. Garlic and wasabi mashed potatoes and grilled corn on the cobb, or serve with whatever you come up with.

Hope you enjoy this recipe. After Learning this Recipe, I have not grilled a steak since. that alone should tell you how much i like this recipe.

Take Care.

Chef Luis Alfonso Pernias
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited January 2009
    Man I am hungry now. That steak recipe sounds awesome.
  • Aldous_Huxley
    edited January 2009
    Yeah,
    imagine how awesome it would be if you could find a New York Strip made of KOBE Beef.

Kobe beef comes from the Kobe region of Japan and these cattle have music played to them and are massaged numerous time a day. They are also fed large quantities of RICH beer which helps to Highly marble the meat. This is the BEST STEAK IN THE WORLD.
    It has more fat than normal beef but the fat melts at a lower temperature than normal cattle meat. There is an American Cattle variety that is almost as good. I dont know much about the way they are raised or what they are fed. its called Waygu Beef. Both Kobe and Waygu are extremely pricey, obviously. Something like $100 per pound or more depending on what part of the body the meat comes from.
    -chef L.P.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited January 2009
    Technically Wagyu (not Waygu) is the type of cattle they use to make Kobe beef. The American version of Kobe is usually a cross-breed of Wagyu and Angus, where they try to follow the Kobe beef standards.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited January 2009
    I have had Kobe beef before well worth the money.
  • skipf
    skipf Posts: 694
    edited January 2009
  • treitz3
    edited January 2009
    Damn Luis, nice! I'll have to try that steak recipe. That sounds delicious! It's good to see another contributor to the thread!

*dances*
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,394
    edited January 2009
    Luis,

I had a steak thread not too long ago, for different ideas and recipes on making it. This sounds very interesting, will try it out soon! Thanks for the recipe.

Halen
  • Aldous_Huxley
    edited February 2009
    bobman, thanks for the lesson.