bipole or dipole

xfontanax
xfontanax Posts: 82
edited November 2002 in Speakers
Polkie Brothers,

I just ordered a pair of LSIFX!!! Here's my question for folks with bipole/dipole speakers. Assuming placement is not an issue (speakers have priority over furniture) what do you find most desirable, bipole or dipole? Why? Is there a huge difference with these settings? Is there already a thread that debated this?Being at remote location, I have a month to wait for my speakers and I'm already considering these options. I don't listen to multichannel music, so that's not an issue. what's your opinions? any would be helpful.

from the far east,

xfontanax
equipment
denon avr4800
denon poa-5000 amp
toshiba sd9200 dvd
LSI 15s
LSI center
LSI 9s (soon going to the bedroom)
Velo cht15
Post edited by xfontanax on

Comments

• seaslug
    seaslug Posts: 23
    edited November 2002
    IMHO, the dipole setting is the way to go for home theater. Ideally, your surrounds should be directly in line with your seating, mounted with the tweeters at approximately standing ear-level. In dipole mode, the drivers fire out of phase, thus creating a diffuse sound field in front of and behind the listening position. This is perfect for the ambient sound effects included in most Dolby Digital and DTS soundtracks. In bipole mode, a good deal of the sound is fired directly toward the listening position, and this can make the effects seem a bit too localized. If you were interested in multichannel music, then you would probably prefer bipole (and direct-radiating would be even better), but since this is strictly a home theater rig, go with the dipole. This is just my two cents, and you can always experiment with your setup with just the flick of a switch. Good luck, and enjoy those LSI's!
    "The unexamined life is not worth living." -- Socrates
  • jdavy
    jdavy Posts: 380
    edited November 2002
    Ask polk audio for a back issue of thier newsletter. They had a article explaing the difference and which to use depends on how your room is set up and where you place the speakers. IE behind you or too your side. Sorry I do not have the article handy but the folks at polk are really helpful so just drop them a line.