EX693A Buzzing sound

mishima8
mishima8 Posts: 3
edited November 2002 in Troubleshooting
I bought a set of EXs (6.5, center, 6x9s) and now the 6x9s are sounding strange. I have them hooked to an amp, and the power output should be well within operational specs. However, even with the crossover set to 200, I am getting distortion. I have tried everything I can think of to fix. I called Customer Service last week and they told me to change from 80 on the crossover to higher. That hasn't helped. I love my Polks, but I am starting to get frustrated (my 1 -2 commute with distortion ain't cool). Anyone have any ideas?
JOC
Post edited by mishima8 on

Comments

• Xzuluns
    Xzuluns Posts: 8
    edited November 2002
    I had a buzzing in my surround system as well. The solution was a ground isolator. The monster power conditioner I bought had one built in and it solved my problem. If you have cable TV and a DVD and a VCR and CD player this is possibly your problem. I never had the problem until I installed a progressive scan DVD player and used optical cable for the digital connection. Yet, when I unhooked the VCR the buzz went away! If you don't want to spend the $75.00 or so for the monster power device you can purchase a ground isolator itself. Polk sells these by the way. This is also a good time to check and make absolutely sure your speaker connections are of the correct polarity. The surest way is to use a continuity tester and make sure red and black on both ends of the speaker cable match. A quick check is available on the
    New Lucas Film "Attack of the Clones." Select the THX optimizer option for a series of sound system tests as well as Video setup tests. For a freebie included with the DVD it's pretty good. There is also an optimizer in the latest DVD release of "The Beastmaster."
    PolkLover
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited November 2002
    Well, check the headunit output voltage, and see if you can adjust the input voltage on your amp, as it seems to be a source distortion instead of a speaker distortion.

Turn down the gain on the amp also
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • mishima8
    mishima8 Posts: 3
    edited November 2002
    Thanks. I appreciate it. I got authorization to send them back, one of them was blown.
    John