surround back speaker

tiger763
tiger763 Posts: 10
edited November 2002 in Speakers
Hello everyone I am a new member to club polk.I would like to know what type of speaker you would reccomend for a surround back speaker.I know that the sound that comes out is only bass so i was not sure if a centre channell speaker is good or is there another type of speaker?

r30 front speakers
sw350 sub
str de985 sony rec
415 sony dvd
cs130 centre
36hs500 sony tv
No surrounds yet was thinking of buying rt25i for surrounds:lol:
Post edited by tiger763 on

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited November 2002
    Why would a surround back (otherwise known as a rear center?) have only bass information? Anyone else here care to help - I'm not sure I understand this.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • capitan100
    capitan100 Posts: 172
    edited November 2002
    I would think your surround center should be the same as your two surround speakers. f you were thinking about the rt25i's for the rears, I would think you should use the same for the center. Possible getting three instead of 2. I don't know, b/c I only have 5.1 instead of 6.1. I actually have virtual matrix 6.1, which is not the same.

I would think you would want a seamless rear just like a seamless front in terms of timbre matching and stuff. Correct me if I am wrong anyone....
    Home Theater
    Sony DA7ES 7.1 A/V Receiver
    Sony DVP-NC80V - SACD/DVD player
    CS400 - Center channel
    RT2000i - Fronts
    RT1000i - Surrounds
    a/d/s MS3/u - subwoofer
    Hitachi 62 inch HD TV

2 Channel Room
    Niles HDL-4 Speaker Selector
    Niles HDL-6 Speaker Selector
    Sony V555ES receiver
    Sony DVP-S7700
    Polk SDA-2B
    Polk Monitor 5
    Thiel 03a
    B&W 2001 ZMF
    Signet SL-250 B/U
    a/d/s L400e
    Wharfedale Valdus 100SE
    Polk PSW 350 - subwoofer
    Pioneer Elite Big Screen
  • capitan100
    capitan100 Posts: 172
    edited November 2002
    You would want your surround speakers to be full range types speakers. capable of high and low frequencies. These speakers are going to be sound effects and music as well. These will not produce only bass, but the whole spectrum.
    Home Theater
    Sony DA7ES 7.1 A/V Receiver
    Sony DVP-NC80V - SACD/DVD player
    CS400 - Center channel
    RT2000i - Fronts
    RT1000i - Surrounds
    a/d/s MS3/u - subwoofer
    Hitachi 62 inch HD TV

2 Channel Room
    Niles HDL-4 Speaker Selector
    Niles HDL-6 Speaker Selector
    Sony V555ES receiver
    Sony DVP-S7700
    Polk SDA-2B
    Polk Monitor 5
    Thiel 03a
    B&W 2001 ZMF
    Signet SL-250 B/U
    a/d/s L400e
    Wharfedale Valdus 100SE
    Polk PSW 350 - subwoofer
    Pioneer Elite Big Screen
  • tiger763
    edited November 2002
    I went to the dolby website and what I understood was that the only signals coming out of surround back or rear centre was low frequency effects[ LFE] that the other surrounds could not handle.
    If anyone can shed some light on this would be great.
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited November 2002
    Where on the Dolby site is this info? I thnk you mis-read it or something.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited November 2002
    I think they, "Dolby", were referring to how the #6&7 channel is mixed onto the left and right surrounds. Their argument is that since the surrounds require less storage there is enough room to lay the additional information for the extra channels without impacting sound quality of the surrounds.

I also was under the impression that a good match for 6th in a 6.1 would be a speaker that would timber match the front left/right and center.

just my 2c
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited November 2002
    Are you confused on the 5.1 format and thinking that the .1 is a center surround channel?

If not, do a copy/past or provide a link to the info your reading.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited November 2002
    I've read the Dolby site before.. checked it again.... it says, in part:

With respect to home playback, the terms 5.1, 6.1, and 7.1 mean that there are five, six, or seven main speakers, plus a subwoofer, in the playback system. (The subwoofer reproduces the LFE channel recorded on 5.1 soundtracks, plus any bass the main speakers cannot handle.) The difference is in the number of surround speakers: two in a 5.1 system, three in a 6.1 system, and four in a 7.1 system.

Obviously, a 5.1-channel soundtrack can be played on a 5.1-speaker system. But it is not always understood that it can also be played on a 6.1- or a 7.1-speaker system. To do this, the two surround signals on the 5.1 soundtrack are spread across the three or four surround speakers. This distribution can be accomplished by a Dolby Digital EX decoder, a THX Surround EX decoder, or other proprietary methods provided in home theater equipment by various manufacturers.

So the number (i.e., 5.1) describing the soundtrack does not have to match the number applied to the speaker system. It’'s even possible to play two-channel stereo content over these multi-speaker systems by using a matrix surround decoder such as Dolby Pro Logic® II. The delivery format and the speaker configuration are independent, and it is the decoder's job to bridge them effectively.
  • tiger763
    edited November 2002
    I found the information on the dolby web site under information then scroll down to dolby digital then to technical info and mouse click on what is the LFE channel.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited November 2002
    This is where you made your mistake. LFE has nothing to do with the back surround. That is information that goes only to a subwoofer. Look in the example above. It is a single speaker in a 6.1 setup or two speakers in a 7.1 setup. If you are considering a 6.1 setup another cs130 or similar center channel would work well.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Dr. Spec
    edited November 2002
    Sounds like a case of "surround confusion".

Yes, a full range signal IS sent to ALL surround channels (center, mains, surrounds), but to use full range speakers for all channels is not practical.

To compensate for this, the user will typically electronically set all speakers to "small" at the receiver (regardless of their actual physical size or bass capabilities).

The small setting redirects bass below about 100 Hz from all the surround speakers to the subwoofer. The subwoofer also gets the ".1" LFE signal. So it does double duty, if you will.

This arrangement eases the bass load on the surround speakers, and also eases the power requirements on the receiver.

Overall, the small setting results in a cleaner sound with more dynamic headroom for all the surround speakers.

Clearly, though, it also requires a darn good subwoofer, which can shoulder both the surround and the LFE bass load at the same time.

This is all generally referred to as "bass management", and is one of the most confusing aspects of HT and surround sound.

Doc

SVS
  • tiger763
    edited November 2002
    Okay thanks for clearing that up.So a centre channell speaker would be better than a surround speaker for center rear?
  • Dr. Spec
    edited November 2002
    Yes - a CS245i or something like it would work just fine.

Doc

SVS
  • tiger763
    edited November 2002
    Thanks for you input Dr.spec.Ibought a csi130 for surround back and r15 for surround.Watched lord of the rings last nite good way to test out surrounds.I was confused about output to surrounds but thanks to this web site much clearer know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1