What are you sitting on?

hoosier21
hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
edited October 2002 in 2 Channel Audio
For stereo listening, what type of chair or whatever are you sitting on? I ask because I am usually on the couch and it has a short back or at least my head is above it. Last night I dragged a Lay-z-boy over, it has a back taller than my head, so it gives me a soft material near each ear and I assume I get no reflections from the rear. Anyway a whole new sound when in the Lay z boy, don't know if it was better or not but it gave everything a different sound. So what do you use?
Dodd - Battery Preamp
Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
Outlaw ICBM - crossover
Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
Post edited by hoosier21 on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    edited October 2002
    I'm in a Chippendale style wing chair and have noticed the sound is a little fuller if I lean forward so that the wings aren't next to my ears. For normal listening I have my head against the back, but for critical listening I'm forward a bit and I'm still comfortable.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited October 2002
    Give me the full leather reclining loveseat,
    want my **** as happy as my ears.

-Luc
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2002
    Small, leather 'swivel' chairs. Nothing behind the heed, the chair back stops at shoulder level.

Isn't Chippendale some sort of male dancer? ;)

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • rlw
    rlw Posts: 231
    edited October 2002
    Life Enhancing **** Platform [LEAP]

Stressless

and right now I'm using a heavy leather sofa.

I generally prefer to have nothing behind the ears. The sofa I'm using almost achieves that goal. It's also a key element in preserving the bass in the listening room, and damping some reflections. Like everything, a compromise.
  • jdavy
    jdavy Posts: 380
    edited October 2002
    In my home theater, I have nice narrow leather Lazzy Boy recliners. For the SDA-SRS system I have it cranked when I am cleaning the house and am not sitting. I would love to get a bigger house just for my home theater and Stereo. I can just see it. A nice rectangular room with my home theater facing my two channel Stereo with a swivel chair. I could watch a movie on the DVD player and then take a break a swivel arround 180 degrees and listen to the excellent sound of the SDA-SRS system. Ah!!!!!!!!!!!!! That would be heaven. You see the SDA-SRS with all the drivers wreak havock on a TV set. One day I will get my dream.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    edited October 2002
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    Isn't Chippendale some sort of male dancer? ;)

Oh no, my secret nightlife has been discovered, but I tell ya, all those women. :D
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited October 2002
    I have a small room... so my fav spot is directly across from the TV about 9 - 11 feet away. the fronts, center are next to it. My sweet spot is on a soft cloth love seat. which conforms to a persons body very nice. I kind of just let myself sink into it and either watch a dvd or listen to some music. only problem.. and not sure if it really is or not. the love seat is pushed up against the rear wall because my room is so small. it's only 11 x 13
    some day i'll have a true media room with all the bells and whistles.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited October 2002
    HT - Middle of the couch
    HS - Middle of the love seat

Soon to be:
    HT - cloth Lay-Z-Boy
    HS - reclining desk type chair on rollers. No remote and I can't wield an Iron like Troy.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • matthew_2
    matthew_2 Posts: 52
    edited October 2002
    full leather reclining chair I love!
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2002
    HT, I have the Lane Super Size Man Chair. You know the attachment that Archie Bunker had with his chair? That's me and my chair.

In "The Shane", I have a blue sofa. It houses a queen size pull out bed that converts the room from The Shane Mann Memorial Auditorium to the guest room in a matter of minutes. One of the reasons that I despise overnight guests. As sofas go, it's not one of my favorites but it isn't high backed which is a plus.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited October 2002
    My ****! he-he!

Actually I have to move a warm, but mostly comfy desk chair into the proper position for good SDA listening.

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2002
    Damn Wes, where you been?

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • I-SIG
    edited October 2002
    Busy, doing many things. Audio has taken a backseat somewhat, but I haven't forgotten! More later...

Wes

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • TheGrayGhost
    TheGrayGhost Posts: 196
    edited October 2002
    This is where I sleep alot. :D

studioline_663.jpg
    Best Regards, Cliff
  • I-SIG
    edited October 2002
    Atthis point, I'm trying to get my butt out of Hell, I mean Tech. I'm also pratically running the shooting club at Tech almost by myself. If I had a girlfriend, then I would have negative time, if that is possible.

Wes