New DVD player/recorder

PETERNG
PETERNG Posts: 918
edited November 2002 in Electronics
I 've just added a new DVD player/recorder to my system last night(I've been holding it off for 2 years since Panny came out with the first recorder), even through I have a number of DVD players such as the Pioneer Elite DVD-38A and the Panasonic A-7 that also play DVD-A. The new Panasonic DMRHS2 gives me several new options: records on DVD-RAM, DVD-R and its 40gig HD, watch my digital pictures via the PC-card slot and save them on HD or DVD-RAM/R, watches my DVD movies via progressive scan component video output on HDTV, records my favorite TV shows on HD (up to 52 hours via VCR plus++), but best of all: transfers many of my long over-due mini DV tapes to DVD-RAM/R via the front firewire connection. Paid $690 for it plus $60 for 4 years extended warranty, I will get a special rebate from Panasonic which includes 5 blank DVD-Rs and 5 blank DVD-RAMs. Man, life is good...:) cheers...
Post edited by PETERNG on

Comments

• joe6pak
    joe6pak Posts: 267
    edited October 2002
    PETERNG

I have read a little about this recorder. I'm not real clear on a few things. Does it play DVD-Audio or SACDs? I am in the market for a quality DVD/CD player such as the Elite 47a. Would the HS2 fill that need or is this going to be one of those deals where a person is going to eventually need both players. I was not real hot to get a DVD recorder just yet, but from what I understsnd about the hard drive in the HS2 that feature makes this component more desirable. These things are going to eventually send the vcr to reside with 8-tracks and cassettes.

joe
  • NDTA
    NDTA Posts: 83
    edited October 2002
    Joe

This DVD recorder doesn't play DVD-A or SACD, but plays almost all other discs, it's progressive scan DVD player also, the first consumer Panasonic recorder that has the IEE connection for you to hook up your mini DV, the HDD feature is great, you can record your TV shows or transfer your video to the 40 gig HD or the DVD-R or DVD-RAM, it also has the PC card slot that you can insert CF, SM, SD, MM from your digital camera to view and store your pictures. But if you're looking for the DVD player that can play DVD-A and SACD, the Pioneer DVD 45 A or the 47Ai are your best bet.

Sorry Peterng for jumping a head of you....
  • cruiser3
    cruiser3 Posts: 47
    edited October 2002
    WOW.....impressive, but a little pricey right now. Thanks for the info, PETERNG!!
    Onkyo 696 receiver, Panasonic DVD RV31U,Polk RM6600 w/ 350 sub (rti28's 2nd zone), JVC Dual tape deck, MMF-2.1 Turntable, JVC 5010 CD R. ((its simple, its cheap, it works))
  • SPEAKER7
    SPEAKER7 Posts: 355
    edited October 2002
    PETERNG,

Just wondering if your DVD player/recorder can record all different sources of video signals....ie. regular analogue cable signals and digital signals? I sure would be interested in buying one if it can record off analogue cable feed I'm still in the backward mode, I haven't move up to the digital feed yet.

Is it easy to hook up to the tv?.....is it done the same way as you would with a VCR?

Thanks,

dc.:lol:
  • joe6pak
    edited October 2002
    Speaker7.

Good questions. Had not thought of those.

NDTA.

Thank you for the answers

To anyone.

What about comparing the Pioneer 47a and the Panny HS2 just on the things that they both have in common. Do they have the same quality of picture play back on a movie dvd? How about the sound quality? DTS? Does the HS2 Play cds? If I ask any more questions will I get a piling on penalty?

joe
  • NDTA
    NDTA Posts: 83
    edited October 2002
    THe Panny has the RF input for TV or cable antena, It will record regular TV signal, cable TV signal and digital signal if connect to firewire, however all digital signals are protected so you can not recored them, but you can record unprotected digital signal such as your video from your DV... Hook up the Panny to TV is easy, the same way you hook up the VCR, atenna TV cable to RF in, then RF out to your TV, optical digital output out to "in" on you receiver, your have three choices to hook up the video part to your TV, composite, S-video or component video, use component cable you will get the best picture and color.

The Panny and the Pioneer will play all discs such as CD, CD-R, CDRW, VCD, SVCD, DVD, DVD-R, MP3, the Panny also plays DVD-RAM but not the Pioneer, the Pioneer plays DVD-A and SACD and the Panny doesn't. Both have the progressive scan feature with plenty of video processing power (54mhz/12 bit on the Panny, 108mhz/12 bit on the Pioneer), DTS and DD outputs are standard features on both player. The only different is the Panny is a DVD recorder/player while Pioneer is only the DVD player.
    Panansocnic unit is made in Japan and the Pioneer is made in Malaysia.
  • SPEAKER7
    edited October 2002
    thanks for the detailed explanation!

dc.:D
  • SPEAKER7
    edited October 2002
    Hi,

I would like to ask you a couple more questions on your DVD P/R.

I am wondering if the picture quality from recorded tv programs have the same picture quality as the live broadcast? I know when I record tv programs with my S-VHS (vcr) the picture quality is not as good as the actual broadcast.

Also, is the programing on the player/r easy as a vcr?

thanks,

dc.:)
  • PETERNG
    edited October 2002
    The Panasonic has the following recording speeds:

Recording Mode Recording Times Data Rates
    4.7GB disc 9.4GB disc
    XP Recording Mode about 1 hour about 2 hours about 10 Mbps
    SP Recording Mode about 2 hours about 4 hours about 5 Mbps
    LP Recording Mode about 4 hours about 8 hours about 2.5 Mbps
    XP Recording Mode about 6 hours about 12 hours about 1.7 Mbps

If you choose the SP recording mode, you will retain broadcast quality picture, XP mode is recommended to copy from DV cam, but most of the times you should use LP mode (350 to 375 lines H resolution), I recorded several programs on TV using the LP mode, and I can't tell the different on the picture quality between live program and recorded programs. If you choose the daily or weekly program on the same show, it will record that program on top of the previous recorded program, you can also watch the same program when you recorded even that you already recorded that program 5, 10 minutes (or whatever) ago. you also have choice to record the program on DVD-R or Ram disc and hard drive.

The programing on the player is very easy to use, same as on other Panasonic VCRs, it also has the VCR plus mode built-in, so can use the regular programing mode or vcr plus mode.
  • joe6pak
    edited October 2002
    PETERNG

Where did you buy the HS2?

joe
  • PETERNG
    edited October 2002
    Joe

I asked a friend who work at BB to buy it for me at employees discount price and paid over 8% sale tax $690 + $56 tax), but you can also order it at videodirect.com for about $730 plus shipping.

http://www.videodirect.com/panasonic/dvd/dmr-hs2.html
  • SPEAKER7
    edited October 2002
    PETERNG,

thanks again for your explanation!

I may pick one up but will have to wait til the prices drop a bit more.........I see the Panny going for $977.00 cdn.

dc.:D
  • SPEAKER7
    edited October 2002
    DMR-E30K......$977.00 CDN.......not the top of the line model HS2.
  • PETERNG
    edited October 2002
    The DMR-E30K does not have the hard drive (HDD) and fire-wire connection (IEE-1394), without IEE-1394, you can not make copy of digital to digital, you have to record from the analog outputs, the the D/A then converts to digital signal and record, the original signal is digital source but already convert to analog, you will not get the same quality as the original.
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited November 2002
    if that one would play dvd-audio & scad & had a iee-1394 input
    it would be a dam good player-recorder. im waiting for one to come out.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.