DIY speaker stands, unconventional style....can you dig it?

Options
surfntomm
surfntomm Posts: 185
edited September 2007 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Hey there, been spending the past couple weekends making these bad boys out of 3/4" plywood and 1/8" plywood with oak veneer on it.

This was my first wood DIY project ever, only other DIY other than my pc is my speaker cables/hoses you see in the pictures that are to come. So far im pretty happy with the outcome, all that is left is to stain the wood which shouldnt be too hard.

I used a dremel with a routing bit, sandpaper, files, jigsaw, and a circular saw and lots of sweat and hardwork!! ;)

Let me know what you guys think of them so far....They are not mounted onto the tile so do not fret if they are not centered on the tile. This is just a temporary installation since i am only home for the summer and i needed to check out how they look and sound.

So far they sound better than my sanus wood stands, although these are hollow on the inside (top is sealed), i can fill it with something to add weight to lower the center of gravity but so far the large slab of granite does the trick i believe.

All thoughts and opinions are welcome....cheers!

4r8ewk8.jpg
2rlyerp.jpg
4u1k8r6.jpg
62zalft.jpg
63v3ue1.jpg
4kupxd4.jpg
Post edited by surfntomm on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Very nice, but looking at them only one thing comes to mind - an active woofer in each tuned to the cabinet, folded horn or tuned quarter wave maybe......

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,652
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Very nice. nice design. Congrats
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • SolidSqual
    SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
    edited August 2007
    Options
    And who wouldn't want two Lsi speakers pointed 2 feet from your ears. God I love this hobby!
  • hypertone
    hypertone Posts: 150
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Those are awesome. Nice job.
  • Midnite Mick
    Midnite Mick Posts: 1,591
    edited August 2007
    Options
    How do they look with the concave curvature in the front?
    Modwright SWL 9.0 SE (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Consonance cd120T
    Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Usher CP 6311

Phillips Pronto TS1000 Universal Remote
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Nice work !! :) . At all costs get rid of the hollow area. That will resonate like crazy. Fill it with sand, shot or cement. Aesthetically those are really nice, for pure functionality not so sure.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Nice work there.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Nice design. Any plans for a finish?
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • honda cber
    honda cber Posts: 267
    edited August 2007
    Options
    i wouldve run the grain vertically. maybe harder to bend, but it might not look like plywood. as they are, i would use some kind of black textured finish. you could hide the grain. those things are going to be heavy when you fill them up with whatever. make sure they can support the weight.

those sure are nice computer speakers... i definitely feel you there...
    a
    gear list:
    1 down, 4 up....
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited August 2007
    Options
    I think they look great. You can add a lot of rigidity without a lot of weight by filling the stands with great stuff expanding foam. (I would wait for a second opinion on this before I did it, but it should work....)

Looks nice and is the perfect height for your computer desk.

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • honda cber
    edited August 2007
    Options
    uh, i meant to say "i would use 'duratex'." seems like a perfect solution.

http://www.acrytech.com/store.asp?pid=14119&catid=19771

a
    gear list:
    1 down, 4 up....
  • honda cber
    edited August 2007
    Options
    oh yes, but dont use too much foam, too fast, or your cabinets will explode!
    a
    gear list:
    1 down, 4 up....
  • surfntomm
    surfntomm Posts: 185
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Hey guys, thanks for the comments i appreciate it.

In terms of resonating i was deathly afraid of that, hence i am testing them out right now before i finish them to see whatsup. They are hollow but no resonating actually, i put a bit of bracing inside as well to help with that. If i want to in the future i can put that expanding foam inside but as i see it now there is no need.

I would have loved to have the grain running vertical as that would be so much.....how do you say "sexier" but it would be impossible to bend. it was hard enough as it is currently. i need to rout the back down to pretty much just the veneer and i had a few hairline cracks cus the wood just didnt want to bend. getting the wood a bit moist helped with its pliability if that is even a word.

I will finish it with a stain but ill avoid the finishing glossy coat. I am not a fan of the textured finish, the grain looks great in person and it would be a shame to hide the beautiful oak grain.

The curvature is exactly how i wanted it and it is very cool. I have the top with a sort of rake towards the back so its tilted upwards about 2-3 degrees. This isnt my permanent rig so thats why the speakers are so close together and close to my face. Im living at home with my parents for the summer before i go back and finish my last year in college.

I think my best option to fill it is with cement in the bottom but that will be tricky enough as it is.

FYI they are 30" tall and far outperform the natural sanus stands i had before sitting on marble slabs.

thanks again for the comments
  • dane_peterson
    dane_peterson Posts: 1,903
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Kinda reminds me of Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor stands. I'm a big fan of rounded wood though--nice job.
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited September 2007
    Options
    They look great and should pop when you hit them with a stain!

Are you using cardboard to channel heat from your motherboard??