WTB: Older Polk dB6500 6.5 inch woofers

Jstas
Jstas Posts: 14,707
edited September 2007 in Garage Sale
I blew one recently. Don't know when but it sounds like the internal spider ripped itself apart. I'm looking to replace it if I can. If anyone has a 6.5" component set or just the woofers from either a set of dB3065's, dB6500's, DX3065's or DX6500's I'm a motivated buyer!
Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
Post edited by Jstas on

Comments

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited August 2007
    I think those are the ones I have. The spiders on mine came loose. They can be glued back together without problem. I glued them easily.
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Jstas
    edited August 2007
    It's not so simple. I think the voicecoil former underneath the spider is what broke. I can't access that easily at all. The speaker would have to be unglued and disassembled and I don't think I can do that without destroying it.

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited September 2007
    Oh, OK. On mine the whole spider came loose (around the outside edge).
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • cam5860
    cam5860 Posts: 632
    edited September 2007
    Yeah I know What your talking about I had two polk momo 8 inch subs one time and the spider was split almost all the way around the voice coil former. That's a common problem with polk speakers period. The spiders will not hold up over long periods of use.
  • Jstas
    edited September 2007
    cam5860 wrote: »
    Yeah I know What your talking about I had two polk momo 8 inch subs one time and the spider was split almost all the way around the voice coil former. That's a common problem with polk speakers period. The spiders will not hold up over long periods of use.

I can't really complain. The speakers are going on about 8 years of almost constant use and in their second vehicle. They wear out, all speakers do. The last Polk speaker this happened with was an old dB104 subwoofer that went for almost 11 years before one of the concentric ridges in the spider split right down the peak. If I could find someone that could fix the spider, the speaker would still work like a champ. No other speaker I've owned aside from an old set of the original Kicker Competitions that were rebuildable has lasted as long as the Polk Audio speakers I have owned.

Hmmm...I wonder if Suburban Audio in Oaklyn, NJ can fix it? They fixed everything else I brought them. Those guys are awesome!