What type/ AWG size do u use on your RT600i's???

Options
ralph76
ralph76 Posts: 36
Im looking to upgrade my old Monster HP NW wire to AudioQuest Type 2+. Has anyone in here used the type 2 yet? any difference? I ask this because i know the AWG in type 2 equals 17guage. I know this is quite thin I dont want to lose out on the sound. Should i go with the Type 4+ instead? I plan on getting 10ft pair for the fronts and possibly center. thanks

any comments would help.

PS what is the recommended guage range to be used on these speakers anyway???
Polk RT600i's
Polk C245i Center
Jbl surrounds (need to find F/X300s) info anyone???
Harmon Kardon AVR80
Sony Processor SDP-E800
Toshiba DVD SD-1200
Sony Minidisk MDS-JE320
Monster 400MKII Interconnects
--all protected by PANAMAX 1000+

Post edited by ralph76 on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Thickness always seems to make a difference.I would suggest you try the wire at your home.Or bring your speakers into the store and try out different levels of Audioquest.Id also suggest you try other brands and see what works best with your speakers.

As I have limited experience with Audioquest(I'd like to have more).form what I understand they make real nice wires.The salesman should beable to guide you into the correct wire for your speakers.Then again.........

well I wouldn't spend more then 200.00 bucks on wire for them.Maybe 250.00 tops.You really need to hear it to see if it's worth the extra cash.I feel good wire is just as Important as the speakers/source and amp in the system.........kinda the weakest link theory.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Dan,

If the RT series doesn't merit the use of separates, how can you justify spending that kind of coinage on wire for them?

In response to Ralph, I would going with a thicker guage if you can swing it just on principle. However, on a 10' run, I think the 17awg would be just fine.

BDT

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • mantis
    edited September 2002
    Options
    subjective isn't it.............

seperates / good wire / etc.......take a look at your own system.You don't use really good wire yeat you have seperates and speakers in your opnion are one of the best of all time.

Still need good wire to connect the seperates together.In a home theater system, seperates can get pricey, as would all the extra interconnects you would need......off topic it is.

Wire for the rt600's is also subjective to the point of where should you stop.If the better wires makes them sound better, who are we to tell him not to go with it?

In my opnion I wouldn't spend that much for wire with a speaker at that level.Try this..............take about 10 to 20% for the system's total cost without wire and thats about how much you should spend on wire.It's a theory I learned from Transparent.....It seems to work out and put your system in a level of mating..........try it and see for yourself.
    Ralph.....get the wire you feel sounds the best .
    Dan
  • TroyD
    edited September 2002
    Options
    What I'm saying is Dan, is that according to you, the RT series isn't of sufficient quality to merit the use of separates. Which I take to mean that they don't warrant the use of 'higher-end' gear. If that's your contention, fine but in keeping with that, a pair of 250 dollar speaker cables (which I would consider pricey) would be unwarranted if one follows your logic. At 10%, that would equate to about a 2500 dollar rig (2ch).

As far as my own rig goes, I admit that I'm very skeptical about wire. I believe that wire is probably the most over-hyped area in all of audio. That, however, is my opinion and I don't offer it as fact. For my DQ's, I use 2 6ft runs of 14awg wire and am amply satisfied.

BDT
  • ralph76
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by mantis
    Thickness always seems to make a difference.I would suggest you try the wire at your home.Or bring your speakers into the store and try out different levels of Audioquest.Id also suggest you try other brands and see what works best with your speakers.

As I have limited experience with Audioquest(I'd like to have more).form what I understand they make real nice wires.The salesman should beable to guide you into the correct wire for your speakers.Then again.........

well I wouldn't spend more then 200.00 bucks on wire for them.Maybe 250.00 tops.You really need to hear it to see if it's worth the extra cash.I feel good wire is just as Important as the speakers/source and amp in the system.........kinda the weakest link theory.

Unfortunatly, I cant test them instore. Im ordering them form a company in Ottwa, CA. But 200 on wire.. thats way out my price range. I just want to make sure on not going with a thin wire at 17gauges.....
    Polk RT600i's
    Polk C245i Center
    Harmon Kardon AVR80
    Sony Processor SDP-E800
    Toshiba DVD SD-1200
    Sony Minidisk MDS-JE320

• ralph76
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by TroyD
    Dan,

If the RT series doesn't merit the use of separates, how can you justify spending that kind of coinage on wire for them?

In response to Ralph, I would going with a thicker guage if you can swing it just on principle. However, on a 10' run, I think the 17awg would be just fine.

BDT

BDT

I agree with you. I may just go with a thicker guage. I'll let you guys know how i make out. Thanks for the input..
    Polk RT600i's
    Polk C245i Center
    Harmon Kardon AVR80
    Sony Processor SDP-E800
    Toshiba DVD SD-1200
    Sony Minidisk MDS-JE320

• TroyD
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Ralph,

On such a short run, IMO, you probably would never tell the difference between 14awg and 24awg. I wouldn't get all wrapped around the axle over it, know what I mean?

BDT
  • mantis
    edited September 2002
    Options
    I'm gonna leave it alone........
    Dan
  • TroyD
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Why is that Dan? Because you think that in a short run with the same type of wire you can tell the difference in guage? IMO, if the difference is between 14 and 16, you probably can't. IMO, most people can't and I think that peoples efforts are better spent worrying about other.

I am an admitted skeptic about a lot of the voo-doo with wire. If you don't agree that's fine. That's MY opinion which holds just as much water as anyone else's

BDT
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Ralph - I'd think 17awg would be fine. I wouldn't go much smaller though. Whatever you get make sure to use the same for your center.

I'd check out the business/industrial section of E-bay. You can get some real nice wire/cable for much less than you could from a speaker wire manufacturer.

take about 10 to 20% for the system's total cost without wire and
    thats about how much you should spend on wire.It's a theory I learned from
    Transparent.....

Sounds like a sales pitch.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited September 2002
    Options
    I agree. The fattest cheapest cable is the waytago.

What about interconnects?

Buy at Home Depot then what is the Bannana Plug available?

Last Post and Out for the day..........
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • gidrah
    edited September 2002
    Options
    I'm a big fan of bare wire connections. One less connection. If possible fan the wire out as much as possible to get more surface area at your connection.

Interconnects. I've been investigating the merits of solid silver ICs. Shielded and teflon insulated are major considerations.
  • TroyD
    edited September 2002
    Options
    In theory, I prefer the bare wire as well, the less jumps the signal has to make the better, IMO. For convenience sake, though, I like banannas.

BDT
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited September 2002
    Options
    I have equations in the uWave band that I would not dare share here. We have increeased efficiency by more that 30%... Fat cable and a good compression fit is all required IMO and experience.

OH BOY!

I'll take it.
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • ralph76
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by TroyD
    In theory, I prefer the bare wire as well, the less jumps the signal has to make the better, IMO. For convenience sake, though, I like banannas.

BDT

Personally, I think bannans make the best connection compared to spades.
    Polk RT600i's
    Polk C245i Center
    Harmon Kardon AVR80
    Sony Processor SDP-E800
    Toshiba DVD SD-1200
    Sony Minidisk MDS-JE320

• TroyD
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Well, my thing is that I swap out speakers in the mancave pretty often to banannas make it relatively painless.

BDT
  • mantis
    edited September 2002
    Options
    WOW,
    so what am I suppost to add to all that........it sounds like you guys have no time for wire.Just hook it up with whatever and let it rip.

In all my insane tests/trails errors/and such,I can hear a big difference from wire to wire.

speaker wire makes a big impact on the way your system sounds.There's no voodoo about it.If you take the time to listen instead of talking........maybe just maybe you'll hear sometime new.

I enjoy a good wire,I like the difference it make's when changing out from one wire to the next.

I say this...........if you really care about how your system sounds, dig into wire, it does make a difference......at least get some good shielded wire to keep out RF and EMI.Thats the biggest reason one cable sounds different from the next.There are millions and millions of other reasons like winding/networks/thickness/length and such.

For you guys who look over wire, I believe your system can be improved with just wire upgrades.
    Dan
  • gidrah
    edited September 2002
    Options
    I agree with much of what you just said. Sshhhhh!
  • TroyD
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Ok, Dan, we get it. You dig wire.

Certainly your opinions are welcome and valid but is it OK, if I have my own opinion and express it? I'm not trying to discredit your opinon or change it. Having said that my opinon is that at the place that most of us are at, most of us don't need to spend 250 + on a set of wires. We can spend less than 50 on a pair of 5' cables and press on for the time being. Also note that I'm not saying that there is not an audible difference in wire. What I am saying is that it's highly subjective and that a person isn't neccessarily handicapping his system with inexpensive wire.

As far as the listening vs. talking comment, I am sufficiently convinced that I've done enough listening to form a reasonably informe opinion and that's all I have to say about that. I don't challenge your credibility, don't do it to me or anyone else here.

BDT
  • gidrah
    edited September 2002
    Options
    I agree with much of what you just said. Sshhhhh!
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Troy, when will you learn. Danny boy has opened many boxes, and setup a multitude of rigs we can only dream about.

He's spent countless minutes (at least 45 I would guess) with these rigs, and his opinion counts, so very much more than yours. He does this **** for a living, with top of the line Pioneer receivers (bench-press tested) and high-tone gear like Rel (all day/all about). How can us common men keep up? ;)

Cheers,
    Rooster

PS: 'Yeah, but you won't listen' - Mark
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Click, click, click, slam, click, click-click etc etc etc, to infinity and beyond..... (see below)
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • mantis
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Russ,
    I said it before and I will say it again....your a flat out ****!!!!
    I never said yours/Troy's or anyones elses opnions don't matter.

I never said I was the be all end all!!

I am an Installer.......you keep bringing that up.The box cutter thing??????Eff you dude.You have no Idea man........NONE!!!

So lets start out with Proceed and Martin Logan.......is it a good match?Does the Proceed Amp 2 showoff what the Logan Prodigy's can do?Or would you go with Audio Research.....maybe Krell......ever hooked up any of the following?Wison Audio?ever sat for a day setting up a pair of Watt/Puppies?So 45 minutes you guess.........your a joke dude.Maybe that how much time you put into your system but I don't for my customers.Then and Now.At Soundex we spend alot of time with systems.....when you drop 100k+ on a system.........45 minutes to set it up just don't cut it simple minded.Again......you have no idea.
    I spend 10 to 12 hours a day,5 to 6 days a week with audio/video/Phone systems/Programing/Networking/Automation/Lighting control with Lutron.........Can you set all that up???Can you calibrate a front projector and hang a screen...fixed or motorized???Do you have any Idea how to calculate for throw distance???

Hows this Room acoustic boy........whats a first reflection point and how do you fix it?Where do you want the room to be alive and where do you want it 2 be dead?

And this.........what's the min distance for seating for a 100 inch screen.How far should the left and right speakers be apart for the correct seating and screen size?

What about cabnet depth........how many inches do you need to be able to upgrade to just about any peice of gear?????How long of a run of 16-4 should you run before you should upgrade to 14 guage?What amp will drive the given speakers safely to reference levels without distortion????Need I go on I fot millions of questions I could ask you know it all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dude when your paycheck can Match or exceed what I make then you can call me anything you feel like.Remember you bring up the work thing all the time....****!

All I really would like to say to you is Eff you.
    Dan
  • RuSsMaN
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Yeah yeah yeah, same ****, different day, thanks for playing...

Proceed and Martin Logan? I dunno, what wires are they using....

Watt Puppies? Not personally, but I have spent countless hours with Focal drivers....

I'm a joke? Take a poll....

Audio, video, phone, yadda, yadda. Sure, I can read a manual, I've worked with large PBX/Digital phone systems, have you? Do you know?

Programming? Networking? Are we talking wireless remotes, or C++? Are we talking WAN/LAN, Novell, Win2k.....what? I'm MCSE certified, and know my way around networks fairly well....

Front Projector, well, ya got me there cocheese. Got a manual I can brush up with?

Cab(i)net depth? What cabs? Speaker cabs? Kitchen Cabs? Entertainment center cabs? I have a couple tape measures in the garage if that would help.

16 guage to 14? I would typically say any run under 50 ft will be fine for most at 16, but by your theory, I guess it would depend if it cost 20% of their other gear or not. And God forbid someone use lamp cord......

Paycheck? You tryin' to floss on the forum? What the eff does that have to do with anything? Like I would share my portfolio with YOU......

Eff you? Get your own word man, that one doesn't belong to you....

Boy you get riled up easy, you should see the doc about hypertension/high blood pressure, I don't want you kicking the dog because of little ole' me....

Cheers,
    Rooster
  • gidrah
    edited September 2002
    Options
    I'm going to be building some DIY cables and ICs. I understand you have experience in these areas. Could you give me some info into the make-up of some of your favorites and why? Were they copper, silver-coated copper, pure silver. In multi strand cables, was each strand insulated or where they all just wound together into a cable. What dielectric do you prefer? Teflon, air, etc.

I'm currently in search of 32awg silver wire. Any leads on a bulk distributor.
  • gidrah
    edited September 2002
    Options
    I'm thinking about doing a 54 strand, 24awg(per strand) solid strand w/teflon wrap braided set (27 conductors +/-). If I were to shield this with copper foil, is there a certain length of shielding that is mor susctible to RF? I've heard /read that shielding on a speaker cable can act like an antenna.

F1 - "You play a good game boy, but now the game is over. Now you must die." The Tall Man
  • TroyD
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Dan,

So much for respecting others opinions, eh?

Your whole diatribe about Proceed/ML or whatever else only serves to illustrate my point. While that may or may not sound good to you, how it sounds to someone else is a different story, especially to the guy purchasing the gear. The rest of it is pure term tossing and completely irrelevant to the discussion of wire. If such posts actually existed, I'd probably abstain as I (A) don't know and (B) could, frankly, give a damn.

If you wonder why you catch flack from others here it's because you maintain this attitude that your opinion is more valid than any one else's and that somehow our opinion is less valid.

Let me use a non-audio reference. I know one guy who is an auto mechanic at a local dealership. He has all the certificates and training, etc. He is 26 and has been doing that for about 5 years. I have another friend (actually, his dad) who has been working on cars as a hobby for over 50 years. His latest project was a custom designed and hand built and machined intake assembly for a Toyota MR2. While dude #2 is not a professional, his opinions on cars certainly holds as much weight as dude #1.

Anyway, you want respect, you got to show it.

BDT
  • mantis
    edited September 2002
    Options
    So,
    now I don't value anyones opnion.......funny I never said any of the above.As far as your opnions TroyD....you can have them and have the right like anyone else.You have doughts in wire......your right.......I love wire.......my right.It's all good from where I'm sitting.But,

When people gotta keep thowing up what I do for a living and try to discredit me in anyway......I don't respect that at all.

Troy I never said anything about your opnions.I have a different opnion and I think thats what makes this forum work...but everytime a good debate starts.....asses gotta hang out and everything else.

My comments on listening instead of talking isn't directed just at you.....it's a general comment.I just would like to read about wire A vs wire B vs Wire C and say I heard this and not that and I feel this way about this and so on.Most comments I read seem like nobody wants to take anytime to hear or not hear it for themselves.

If that offends anyone well then you need not to comment on my posts.

Your whole point about the hobbiest and the Professional???I Don't know exactly how to take that,But here's what I got out of it.It's like your trying to tell me that you don't need to be a Professional to know something about the topic.This is true.The person you mentioned in your story was 50 years experienced in what he was doing.I respect that alot.So as the Professional....5 years in the field you can learn alot due to the fact of at least 8 hours a day and 5 days aweek.....40+hours doing anything and your bound to get an Idea....not to mention factory trained.

But thats all fine and dandy...I don't bring up my job like another loves to do............whatever there.

This is pointless to keep talking like this to one another.......You guys feel your way and I will feel mine....if we agree sometimes.....real cool.....if not ......owell.

My last point on this wire thing is simply this............If you have listened for yourself and heard a difference or not.......I can respect that.It's the experience thing that I respect.......talk is talk........I can do it all night long....spec's..reasons.....whatever.......I personally like to experience the topic then just talk about it.....thats just me man.

As far as that post about the ML's Proceed and all that other bull wasn't directed at anyone else but Russ.You and I seem to be somewaht cool with each other.....Call me a box cutter and it's on.
    Dan
  • TroyD
    edited September 2002
    Options
    ..boxcutter!

BDT
  • RuSsMaN
    edited September 2002
    Options
    *Wheels-are-off*

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Scorched earth baby, scorched earth...

Cheers,
    Rooster