edited September 2002 in Speakers
deleted
Post edited by dharding on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,784
    edited September 2002
    Dan,

Keep the 2B's in the rear. They will match up with the 1C's perfectly.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited September 2002
    IMO,

Forget the HT aspect, get a good preamp and set up a 2ch rig with the Silver 7's and the 1c's. Good GOD, man! 575wpc, in a HT rig?

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited September 2002
    WATCH OUT, monoblocks and SDA's don't mix without the A1 interconnect. Do a search on this site, there is plenty of info on the subject.

Did you get the pair from Evansville Indiana? are you from near there? I grew up in Brazil Indiana.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • TroyD
    edited September 2002
    Good point hoosier, I missed that one completely.

BDT
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited September 2002
    Manly power for theater.............I love it.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,764
    edited September 2002
    Originally posted by hoosier21 WATCH OUT, monoblocks and SDA's don't mix without the A1 interconnect.

If the grounds of the Carver monoblocks can be connected without affecting the perfomance of the amps, that would be a cheaper (and more convenient) alternative to the A1 interface. I did a similar thing when I was using Adcom 565 monoblocks to power my SDA 1.2TL's.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • dharding
    dharding Posts: 61
    edited September 2002
  • DarqueKnight
    edited September 2002
    Originally posted by dharding I hope I didn't make a mistake buying these speakers.

Relax, you'll be fine. Welcome to the SDA club. We just want to make sure you don't have any problems.
    Also, how do I tell if the amplifiers are common ground or non common ground?

Most amplifiers and receivers are the common ground type, meaning that the left and right channels share the same ground. In the case of monoblock amps, you can usually make them common ground by connecting a single wire to the ground (usually black) speaker terminal of each monoblock.

Polk customer service maintains info on a lot of popular amps and receivers. You might want to inquire about yours. Carver would logically be the best place to ask about this, but I don't know what their customer service is like these days. You might try contacting Carver through the Sunfire website, www.sunfire.com. :cool:
  • DarqueKnight
    edited September 2002
    Originally posted by dharding My music listening tastes are primarily hard rock and heavy metal.

Well, this does give me some cause for concern. Rock and metal are often heavily processed during production. This wipes out a lot of the spatial information that the SDA's are designed to retrieve. SDA's seem to sound best when presenting acoustical music like classical and jazz.

I would be interested in how you like them. I know the tube amp enthusiasts on the forum are particularly interested in how the 1C's sound with the Silver 7 amps.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited September 2002
    I hear ya, SDA's metal and hard rock that is why I would own them. Huge speakers and refined jazz. I don't think so.
    May offend some of the huge Elton John and George Michael fans of the forum.:lol:
  • dharding
    edited September 2002
  • dharding
    edited September 2002
    Originally posted by raife1

Well, this does give me some cause for concern. Rock and metal are often heavily processed during production. This wipes out a lot of the spatial information that the SDA's are designed to retrieve. SDA's seem to sound best when presenting acoustical music like classical and jazz.

Well, back when I had the 2Bs as my mains several years back, they liked hard rock and heavy metal :D Of course that was before I got the Carvers.

I would be interested in how you like them. I know the tube amp enthusiasts on the forum are particularly interested in how the 1C's sound with the Silver 7 amps.

Pardon my naivete, but why? The Silver 7t is a solid state amp (yes, it supposedly mimics a tube amp, but it's still solid state).

-Dan
  • DarqueKnight
    edited September 2002
    Originally posted by dharding
    The Silver 7t is a solid state amp (yes, it supposedly mimics a tube amp, but it's still solid state).

Oh, ok.....I overlooked the "T" after the "7". I was thinking of the Silver 7 tube amps.
  • TroyD
    edited September 2002
    I was thinking that you had the tube monoblocks as well.....

Isn't that the m4.0t? Which I believe is a common ground amp.

BDT
  • dharding
    edited September 2002
  • TroyD
    edited September 2002
    OK, gotcha, I was having a blonde moment....

Excellent read by the way....but what the hell would Bob Carver know anyway ;)

BDT
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited September 2002
    Mr. dharding... good read and I'm looking for more. Your analysis IMHO, "if wrong or not", is on Time and Thanks.

HBomb

In the post, conversation regarding Transfer Function's has been initiated and the reinforcement that the Speaker Impedance and the Amp must be matched for Maximum Power Transfer and Dynamic Range is correct IMO.

I'm Sure madmax has a few opinions. Well informed IT is.

TroD the Amp is an extension of the Speaker and that is what Polk does well...? Why not ensure Specs are met by doing it themselves across the line? ask Dr Spec...

Regards
    HBomb, and btw I am Trashed.
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • dharding
    edited September 2002
  • F1nut
    edited September 2002
    dharding,

You shouldn't waste those 1C's in your bedroom.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited September 2002
    Nice amps.
    I too am of the opinion that the RTA15TLs would be a better rear than an SDA model. Then again your bedroom speakers are better than most of my mains!
    Make it Funky! :)
  • F1nut
    edited September 2002
    No, no...he's using the RTA15TL's as the mains.

President of Club Polk

• gidrah
    edited September 2002
    Doh! I figured they'd be the rears. Either way, he wins.
  • F1nut
    edited September 2002
    From what some others in here have been saying about their use of SDA's front and rear, I'd at least try it.

President of Club Polk

• gidrah
    edited September 2002
    I'd have to buy 4 SDAa. My monitor/SH rig is fine for me. They may be better off, but to start that kind of investment I think my money could be best spent elsewhere.
  • F1nut
    edited September 2002
    You could get 4 1C's for under $1200.00.

President of Club Polk

• gidrah
    edited September 2002
    Exactly my point!
  • dharding
    edited September 2002
  • gidrah
    edited September 2002
    What kind of rig (beside the Polks) do you have in the bedroom. I'm jealous!

Is it hard to wind down and relax to metal?:) I've done it plenty of times, but my mind has been slowing at the same rate of my current tastes.
  • dharding
    edited September 2002