Ken, Please Help!

organ
organ Posts: 4,969
edited September 2001 in Technical/Setup
I posted this in the Your Opinion forum but did not receive any responses by anybody from polk. I got a response from one member who suggested I order a replacement driver from Polk and I think that's what I'll do. I'm so sick and tired of calling the store twice a week just to see if they got any CS400i's in and only to hear "call back in 2 days, we don't have any". a few weeks ago I called and the salesman told me they had some. Drove to the store for 20 minutes, talked to one of the salesman, he went and checked and said they don't have any. Now my question is this: If I buy a replacement driver from Polk (CS400i, left woofer), would this fix the problem(read below)with the blown driver or could it be damaged internally as well(crossover).

One month ago I purchased a pair of RT800i's(amazing speakers!) from future shop. I wanted to go to a smaller audio store but they ran out of the 800i's and Future Shop was the only place selling them. Anyways, the sales guy told me about the free subwoofer deal and I asked him if I could get the CS400i instead of the sub and add more money(I didn't need the small sub, I already have the PSW650). So he went and talked to his boss and told me it was okay. He went to the back and got the last CS400i they had. I was kinda pissed because it was an open box. But it was in very good condition so I took it. Finally, I brought the speakers home and hooked up the center speaker first and tested it with some music. What the hell??!!?? I was hearing crackling noise from the speaker!(I will never buy open box again). So I took off the grille and put my ear close to each driver to see which one was messed. It was kinda hard to tell, so I took off the jumpers and connected the wire to the upper HF input and the tweeter sounded fine. Moved the wire to the LF input and there it was again. Crackling coming from the left woofer, the right woofer seems to be fine. When I pressed the woofer lightly, I was able to tell that it was blown so I immediately called future shop and told them about the problem saying I want to exchange it. Since I got the last CS400i they said to call back in 4 days to see if they get anymore. I called back in 4 days and they told me to call back in 3 days because they didn't receive any CS400i's. This has been going on for one month and I don't think the store will actually get anymore in. My 30 days exchange warranty is now over and don't know what to do. It's just the left woofer that needs to be replaced. What should I do? I've been waiting for one month! I would've bought a new one but the open box was the only one they had left.

thanks,

Maurice

Don't ever buy open box from large stores. Their sales people are idiots and don't even know how to treat these things or wire them properly. If you're buying an open box, listen to the speakers first, don't make the same mistake I did
Post edited by organ on

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited September 2001
    Hello Maurice,
    I'm certainly sorry you experienced such difficulty getting a CS400i speaker. It would be best if you contacted the Canadian importer for Polk. Their telephone number is 905-457-0164. they are an excellent organization and can send you the replacement driver immediately.
    Best regards, Ken Swauger