DB level settings for speakers.. I have questions????

faster100
faster100 Posts: 6,124
edited September 2002 in Electronics
I am new and on a posting frenzy.... Ok i posted a question about haveing overpowering mains and not enough rear sound,(something along those lines) Someone told me to Up the DB level in the rears, well i have all speakers except the SUb set to max (12db) on my receiver, what should they be at? and today during listening to 2 channel stereo with a CD i lowered the front mains to 8 DB and it seems the amp meters were swinging further and the sound was more solid, Im not a audiophile by no means so forgive the terms i use, So what i want to know is will i get more power from my amp this way? according to the meters the amp is driving harder and of course the volume has to be a tad higher to get the sound im used to at full db setting (12db) But it seems louder this way at 8DB setting. Ok am i making sense?? I have RTI 70's for mains with a Onkyo M-504 amp bi-amped, and RT15's for the rears powered by the receivers 100 wpc internal amp, they just arent heard alot and i want to hear them. So do alot of the new DVD's ultilize the rear surrounds at a optimal level as to be heard loudly? Ok let you guys ponder on this and let me know, I am glad i decided to start posting here because none of my friends are audio mined and are no help with my many questions on my setup. Thanks
MY HT RIG:
Sherwood p-965
Sherwood sd871 dvd
Rotel 1075 amp x5
LSI15 mains
LsiC center
LSIfx surround backs
Lsi7 side surrounds
SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
Rotel 1080 stereo amp
Polk sda 2B
kenwood grunt Tuner
realistic lab 450 TT
Signal cable IC
Post edited by faster100 on

Comments

• jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited September 2002
    A better way to start off would be to set all the individual channels to 0db. Use your receiver's built-in test tones to adjust the individual channels to the same level. If you have access to a SPL meter, use it. That way you have the maximum range of control over the channels (+/- 12db).

What receiver are you using? It is probably only capable of a certain maximum preamp-signal level, so adjusting the channels is really only a "relative" adjustment. You're still going to have the same maximum output capability, it'll just be reached at a different setting on the main volume.

In my experience most DD DVD's make good use of the surrounds. They generally aren't as loud as the front channels (and there's usually no reason for them to be) but they're clearly audible.

Jason
  • faster100
    edited September 2002
    Thanks, I have a integra DTR 7.1 receiver, hey will the cheap spl meter from radio shack suffice for the testing? Let me know and thanks
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited September 2002
    faster100, its worth it. I use mine all the time.
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • faster100
    edited September 2002
    I have been fooling with stereo stuff" for a long time but now i kinda feel outta touch as to all these extra's to learn, so will the Radio Shack spl meter be fine? and whats the goal to get the same maximum even sound level? so start at zero DB and work up as high as possible with keeping the same level from all channels on the meter? I think i have the idea, geez i want a spl meter now!
    have to wait till pay-day i suppose but is next on the list

Thanks
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • HBombToo
    edited September 2002
    I have used the pink noise test option on my h/k with a radio shack analogue spl and compared it to the h/k remote auto tune feature. The radio shack spl is much better than the h/k built in feature but for quick settups the h/k is fine.

What you really need is a dvd with the audio settup tracks, like the avia disc sold here on Polk, and in that disc there is a sweep section which smoothly rolls through the channels so you can see in spl what really has happened after calibration.

The dvd has great instructions and will really help you through the process and also will inform you just like jcaut has said, set everything to zero and use your volume control to set everything at 85 dB SPL. Damn loud but I followed the instructions and have been very pleased with the results.

My wife does not allow me to watch at that level but when she is gone... Watch OUT!

Regards
    HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • faster100
    edited September 2002
    Well i am happy to be married to my wife ; ) She has always been "into" my stereo stuff and the whole Ht thing and we both love watching dvd's weekly. I have heard to many times from her " why not pay the extra $xxxx and get the better, be it speakers,receivers or any audio gear. far as loudness limatations well we have had it fairly loud together during the "race scene in fast and furious" Well that was alittle off topic but I know our wifes don't think we appreciate and talk about them amongst the Guys" and we do, LOL anyways i will be planning on the setup dvd and the spl meter in the next couple weeks. I have a 2 month old now so all the buying is to a minimum for a few more weeks. Thanks for all the info
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • HBombToo
    edited September 2002
    faster100, good luck and keep your posts on.

BTW, waite till the baby starts watching Blue's Clues.........

LOL

My 2 year old is now an HT Buff and if I put something on the 32" she gets pissed! I know Toy Story line by line but the 57" buffers the pain.
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • faster100
    edited September 2002
    well i also have a 3 year old which is turning 4 This sunday and has a very large collection of vhs and dvd kiddie movies and only wants to watch them on the 46" not the 13" or the other 19" we have , But she loves Jurrasic park and fast and furious so go figure she loves the Ht also. thanks again everyone who replied
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited September 2002
    When you get your SPL meter make a trip to Media Play(or BestBuy/CC) and pick up a copy of the Sound & Vision Home Theater Tune-up disk. It is a great tool for getting your entire system tweeked and offers up some good info regarding proper use of the SPL meter.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • Janusch
    Janusch Posts: 132
    edited September 2002
    Frank,
    Do you own the AVIA disc also. If you do if you where to get only one which would you get (S&V or AVIA)?
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited September 2002
    Video Essentails all the way. (never understood why this original cal. disc got left behind) And I have been waiting a long time for DigitalVE. That is going to be killer.:D
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited September 2002
    do the new calibraton disks have the 7.1 yet i havent got one yet i have used my recever level set and my ear i also bought a spl meter and my ear was right on but it took me a while to get the bass right though also the spl meter dont gopast 125 db with i have spiked the meter in my car but i never turn it up that loud i usaly listen to my car and ht at around 80-90 db depends on what i watch and am listning to
  • HBombToo
    edited September 2002
    After 5.1 settup I just rewire my rears into the front, settup up to the 85dB mark, note the gain on the h/k, rewire back to the rear and set the gain back on the front and rear as measured.
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited September 2002
    Janusch,
    I've got the S&V disk only and it has worked fine for basic setup. i use the internal test tones from my receiver to calibrate my speakers though. you cannot calibrate a 7.1 channel system with the S&V disk.

I have read a lot of good comments about the AVIA disk but I am happy with the results that I got from the S&V disk.

I beleive that they are both made by Ovation, if that helps.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • Janusch
    Janusch Posts: 132
    edited September 2002
    Thanks Frank,
    I'm getting my local Library to buy both of them and I will see which one I like better.