Hey Mantis

Options
joe6pak
joe6pak Posts: 267
edited September 2002 in Speakers
Mantis,

Well, at last I made the trip to the big city and got to demo some of those Dane speakers. You are right. Very impressive. Most of the demo was done using Primare seperates & cd player with all transparent cables. Heard the 72s, the 1.3mk2, and the 1.3se. The 82s were out on a in home demo. Really wanted to hear the 82s. Of course as the price of the speakers went up, the sound got better. For me, more detail being the most noticable difference. Bang for the buck has to go to the $1600 72s. A lot of nice sound at that price point.

Got to hear the monster C-4. At $16,000 they are more than I want to spend, plus I really don't like their appearance. They were mated with some very nice Krell seperates & super pricy cable. I think this is the best system I have ever heard. Then I made the mistake of listening to a pair of C-3s. These were mint rosewood 2 year old trade ins. New retail $8,000. They are asking $4,500 for the pair. They were being run with Krell gear. Of course they walked all over the 1.3ses. Detail, soundstage, imaging, smooth, etc. Made me want them. I guess I was really surprised how much I liked the C-3s after listening to the mega system C-4s. Since I am building a music/home theater combination, I think I would have a problem matching the center & rear speakers. Don't have the room for two seperate systems. Damn home theater! Mrs. 6pak said go get them if I want. The dealer said the C-3s need no less than the level of Krell quality to really sound their best. Bet he is right. Anyway, my question is, do the C-3s speakers have any big drawbacks, such as placement, room size, etc.

joe
Post edited by joe6pak on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Hey joe6pak,
    gladyou got to experience the Dynaduio line.The C-4's is my favorite speaker in the world.Mated with Krell monoblocks and Reference Transparent you can't get any better sounding then that..IMO.

Yes the Audience 72's are a great bang for the buck.They really challenge the Lsi 15's head to head.I wish I could have heard both speakers in the same room,using the same gear and song.It would be real close.Shame you didn't get to hear the awesome Audience 82's,they might have a slight edge on the Lsi 15's in every last bit of detail,and there bass is alot stronger....more room filling.Still a close race with the Lsi 15's

The Convidence series of a couple years ago are totally awesome.I don't think they have a center channel to match,you would have to use a Contour series center,but thats alittle extreme for theater unless you have mega buck to spend on wire/amps/pre amp/deadicated room/treatment and such.

If your planning on the C-3's,you going to need great electronics.Not run of the mill like Rotel/adcom/B&K Parasound/Sunfire...........No you going to need more like Krell/Mark Levinston/McIntosh/Audio Research.High end speakers like th C-3's demand high end gear,If you cheap out anywhere you just wasted all of your time and money on the Dynaudio Confidence series.
    Placement is allways a concern.Room size you should have a medium to large room to let them breathe.Like 15x24 to give an example.
    So the only drawback of those speakers will be your wallet.
    If your able to get into the following..man god bless you and I will be really jelious.

If you have any other questions about any of the Dynaudio lines and what makes them sing......ask away.

Damn you said C-3's.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • joe6pak
    joe6pak Posts: 267
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Mantis.

Thanks for your reply. About that center channel. I thought I would be going with the contour center if I got either of the contour 1.3 models. I am not sure how I would approach the rear channel application, especially if I got the C-3s. Based on my very limited experience, I feel like any of the lower contour line would be a compromise that could be very noticable. ( Damn, five C-3s would be the way to go! ) You did not comment about the price of the used C-3s. I thought $4500 was in the ball park when compared to other used gear I have seen. What got me to really considering the C-3s, was the fact that I was leaning toward the 1.3SEs and by the time you add stands to the SEs you are getting kind of close to the C-3s price. Stands are included with the C-3s. I don't remember ever regreting steping up to a better model of anything I have ever purchased.

Yes this hobby can get costly. Seems alot of hobbies do. Old joe has been very fortunate/lucky with a few investments so money is not the major issue, but I really do want to get this right. Hell at my age this might be my last upgrade!!

joe