DQ-10's

Options
TroyD
TroyD Posts: 13,077
edited September 2002 in Speakers
OK, at the request of liv4fam, who seems to be unable to operate the search button, I will again give a quick rundown on the Dahlquist DQ-10.

It is a five way design with a piezo supertweeter, .75" soft dome, 1.75" dome, 4.5" midbass and a sealed 10" driver. The other four drivers are arrayed on top of the sealed enclosure.

I run them with:
AMC cd8b cd player
Adcom SLC-505 passive preamp
Carver m1.5t power amp
Signal Cable interconnects and HD 14awg wire

My room is 10X11, the speakers are on the long side,the speakers are roughly 5 ft apart, toed in slightly, about 18" out from the wall. They sit on 6" stands.

My thoughts on the sound is that they are a very neutral sounding speaker. The specs on them are that they have a dead flat response from about 38hz to 27KHz.

IMO, the DQ-10 produces and maintains a very precise stereo image. I also think that it produces a HUGE, three dimensional soundstage. The midrange, again, IMO is nearly flawless. Transparent and detailed with no coloration (IMO, due to the absence of a cabinet). IMO, the midrange is as transparent and detailed as just about any electrostatic design with a soundstage depth that I find lacking in an electrostat or ribbon design.

Are they perfect? No, the highs, depending on the recording can be a little bright. They aren't as smooth as say the LSi. Many folks have replaced the piezo with either a ribbon tweet or a ring radiator type affair. There is also a slight discontinuity with the bass driver and the midrange. Again, I don't think it's a fatal flaw but it is something that I think is inherent in hybrid designs. The complaint over the years was that they are light on bass. Maybe, maybe not. They certainly don't pound out deep bass but it goes low enough for most musical applications and what is there is tight and clean.

In summary, I feel that the highs and lows are better than average and the mids are without equal.

BDT
I plan for the future. - F1Nut
Post edited by TroyD on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited September 2002
    Options
    TroyD,
    I think that was your best post.You still add in what others have said and the spec's seem real important,but overall I for one got a insight how you feel about your speakers.

The speaker wire I assume is Home Depot?I don't know what HD is but I assume I 'm right.

I still haven't heard the DQ-10's for myself,Mike at the Stereo Exchange is killing me with not putting them together.....I'm gonna call him tomarrow to see if they are finished so I can get my listen on.
    Do you have the stands made for them or something else?6 Inch is shorter then what the ones at the Stereo Exchange has them on.They fit on those stands perfect.About a foor or so off the ground....still seem low for me but he has a couch in his demo area.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • liv4fam
    liv4fam Posts: 311
    edited September 2002
    Options
    WOW, I think I am actually stunned. I was starting to think that you didn't possess the ability to review a speaker for your own as you have always posted specs and statements from other owners. LISTEN UP I CAN RESPECT PERSONAL EXPERIENCES NOT SPECS, CUSTOMER SERVICE, OR REVIEWERS. I am glad that you really feel that way about them and I can't wait to listen to em. I do not want to beat them up, I simply would like to hear and review them for myself. Troy, that was a good post and Thanks for responding honestly.
  • TroyD
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Now I feel so validated now that liv4fam feels I can review a speaker :rolleyes: Maybe I'll be able to sleep at night.

For more reviews of gear, check these out

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4874

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4631

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4210

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4315

That oughta keep liv4fam's lips moving for a couple hours or so. There are a some words with more than one syllable so take your time and sound them out.

BDT
  • TroyD
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Dan, yes, the wire is HD. Wire is on my list of things to upgrade but I'm satisfied for the time being.

The stands are just cheapies that I bought from Parts express and filled with sand. It works pretty well as the sofa in the mancave is fairly low and the tweets are just about ear level. Originally, the DQ-10's came with pegs that brought them 3 inches off the ground. The optional Dahlquist stands were less than a foot, I'm fairly certain.

BDT
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited September 2002
    Options
    they look taller then that in the Stero Exchange.I'm not certain they are the correct stands but they sure fit well.The DQ 10s have a unique shape,not all stands would hold them that well.

Good luck with upgrading the wire.....you like your speakers now,wait untill you get that wire out and get into some real open and clean sounding speaker cable............Id like to reccomend a brand but without hearing them yeat(I hope there finished today)I can't help you out and other then the usual go here some wire in your respected price class.

Dude I'm trashed on 2 channel,I get even get enough.Being out of the thumb of the receiver,I found a whole new world of obsession.Man I 'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing...........either way I'm on the path.....waling the path, knowing the path.......such a cool **** road.

TroyD,
    I did want to ask you how you came to what you own.How did you deside the Carver was the choice for the DQ-10's?and is there any other amps on your wish list you feel would better suit the job?
    Reason behind my question is I have been listening to Classe alot more then in the past recently,and I have found that the headroom and overall smoothness of there amps is better then the Rotel I own.....They cost alot more then even Rotel's flagship and Theater setup will be my seperates of chioce for my very first seperate system other then my used Rotel gear I own curently.
    I still feel Rotel leads the way in all the low end seperates if you will like B&K,Adcom,and Parasound(with limited listening to Parasound),But there is such a world of setups out there.

If you will fill me in on some of your seperate adventures.I'm so interested........right now you got my undevided attention.
    Thanks dude,
    Dan........wannabe 2 channel up and coming Audiophile!!(from Home Theater phile...lol)

O....yes I have heard all the very best in amps like Krell,Mark Levinston,Audio Research,McIntosh,etc.....but I really never explored the low to mid line market.I can't honestly say I care for the Carver amps.........except the Tube pre amp and sloid state Sunfires of today(my previous post I was under the impression that the amp made by Sunfire was tubes as well,the pre amp was right above it I just assumed it was tubes.)And even there I still prefer the Rotel line.

Sory so long but I got alot on my mind.The house thing got me spinning as the closing date is in december with a slight chance on early January.Its moving right along now.All framed out and the sub's are on there way.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • TroyD
    edited September 2002
    Options
    I've come to own most of what I own through luck and the generosity of others.

The vast majority of my audio decisions are guided by my wallet to be honest. I've listened to a fair amount of gear I suppose and generally balance my tastes with what I can realistically afford. To me, it's about enjoying what I have as opposed to searching endlessly for the perfect sound. Of all the gear I own, I like some better than others but I enjoy it all immensely. If it's not fun, what is the point. Also, if I ever get to the point where I stop appreciating and enjoying what I have because there is something better out there that I don't have. I'll sell all my gear and be done with audio. Life is to short not to enjoy what you have.

WHEW! Having said all that:

Carver, simply, that's what I have had the most exposure to. In college, when friends were assembling thier rigs (and I was broke), Carver is what I seemed to like the best. Are there other brands that I like? Sure, but I've never been dissatisfied with Carver's sound and the fact that I've gotten some GREAT deals hasn't hurt either.

Speakers: My first love was Boston Acoustics, my brother and I went in on a pair of A100's in the early '80's. I got in to Polk by way of a friend of mine who had a Polk rig (during my early to mid 20's I was broke and audio was the last thing on my mind) and eventually gave me a pair of RT7's. I've always enjoyed listening to Polk speakers so most of my speakers are Polks. As far as the DQ's go, well that was PURE accident and luck. I bought them locally for price of 250 dollars. Based on the recommendations of folks like gidrah, Russ and George and the price, it was a win-win deal.

Part of my audio habit revolves around finding a good deal. That's part of the charm. I've got an HT and parts for at least 4 2ch rigs. All in, I got less that 3 grand invested. I also don't believe that one brand is necessarily better than the other, ****, I've got gear by Adcom, AMC, Boston Acoustics, Carver, Dahlquist, Denon, Toshiba, Polk, Paradigm, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Technics, KLH, Fisher and more I'm sure, and I like it all.

Sorry for the ramble, but I figured I'd give you a rundown of my views and philosophies.

BDT
  • joe6pak
    joe6pak Posts: 267
    edited September 2002
    Options
    TroyD

That is a good review of the DQ10s. I bought a pair new around 1976. I ran them with a Quad amp and preamp. Don't remember the watts, but I am sure it was over 100. I had them close to 20 years, and had no real complaints. I had them on the short factory stock legs. I was hesitant to get the stands as I always thought this would hurt the bass. I have also read from other reviews about the highs being a little bright. I never did notice that. Guess that shows how subjective impressions of speakers can be. Or maybe it is because most of my friends had Klipsch, so I was comparing the DQs tweets to the sizzling horns! The klipsch will win that brightness contest every time.
    joe
  • TroyD
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Joe,

I've never heard them on the little 3" pegs, I ran them sitting on the floor for quite a while with no major gripes. Lifting them up tightened up the bass a bit. I wouldn't say that the highs are REALLY bright but I wouldn't say that they are the smoothest I've ever heard either.

BDT
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited September 2002
    Options
    BDT

I have not had the pleasure of listening to the DQ10's myself. But.....looking around on the web I have found many top 10 lists of speakers and the DQ10's show up often, at least 50% of the time. That sure tells me something about them...... ;)
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • TroyD
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Nascarman,

Well you and momma get your behinds down to Charleston SC and I'll be MORE than happy to let you listen to them to your hearts content. Also, if you are interested, I've got a couple of reviews on them and some other literature. If you like that sort of thing, I'd be more than happy to send you some copies.

Personally, I do think that what you say has a lot of merit. It isn't terribly important if I, or anyone else for that matter, think they are 'reference' quality. The fact remains though, for a LOT of audiophiles, these were thier 'reference' speaker for very long time. That does say a lot to me.

BDT
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited September 2002
    Options
    BDT

It will be next year before we can do anything....maybe momma will get some time then...

I'm always up for a little reading....:D
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • TroyD
    edited September 2002
    Options
    email me your addy at: wdion@knology.net and I'll get my photocopy on. I've been meaning to send them to Russ as well but I'm a huge slacker.

BDT