2 channel audio

Options
mantis
mantis Posts: 17,056
edited September 2002 in 2 Channel Audio
It's funny how after all the advancements in the indusrty,all the new formats and such......today as I sit here typing this post.......I realise I care for 2 channel more now then ever before.

I'm a big Home Theater fan....I always have been.My entire intentions on the basement is geared around the theater.But 2 channel is someting that lives on, even in todays world.......I will admit it is a dieing art form ..but none the less,still the most enjoyable form of art.

Maybe it's just because I got new toys right now and the NEW hasn't really worn off yeat.But Home Theater has been stale for awhile.

All the recent demoing I have been doing has been just that...2 channel listening..........funny how things change.:confused:
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
Post edited by mantis on

Comments

• jrausch
    jrausch Posts: 510
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Sniffff, Tear :D
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited September 2002
    Options
    I think it was Mark Levinson who said "How many channels does it take to produce an enjoyable musical experience? One." Or words to that effect. I believe he cited some old Satchmo as an example.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Two ears, two speakers....

Makes sense to me.

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • jmasterj
    jmasterj Posts: 327
    edited September 2002
    Options
    I too am a big fan of two channel audio. Really looking forward to
    building a good quality system. I need some more room though.
    JmasterJ Polk to the Death
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited September 2002
    Options
    I agree. For now my 5.1 receiver does me justice. I'm concentrating on 2 ch. driven by tubes. When and if I upgrade my HT, it'll probably be along those same lines.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited September 2002
    Options
    So true. I just hope the new 5.1 music formats doesn't kill 2 channel. Music is life and the multichannel should be left only for HT. I use my system 90% of the time for music. That's why I'm using my PS2 as my DVD player(with optical out) and bought a NAD C541 CD player. I just love music more than movies and I haven't heard any multichanel music that sounds as natural as just 2 channel.

Maurice
  • mantis
    edited September 2002
    Options
    thats a good point..........but,
    the way the market is.....and sad to say multichannel is the way.2 channel will never die I don't think, but multichannel is what everyones buying now and have bee for the last couple of years.Home Theater is in more homes now then ever before.People like to use there living/family room to watch tv,listen to music.Most of them want to use all the speakers they bought for music as well.5 /7 channel music is so popular.Almost every single one of my customers want to use that feature.I now just setup the cd inputs and any other music only source to 5/7 channel music unlees the customer express otherwise.

As long as there are listeners,there will be formats of choice.I for one try to enjoy them all.
    Dan
  • Paul Connor
    Paul Connor Posts: 231
    edited September 2002
    Options
    There is still a large market for two channel as well as mono, and the source material is out there. Turntables today are better than they have ever been and vinyl is still being pressed. I doubt you will ever be able to buy Brittany Spears and company in these formats, but who cares. I intend to keep adding to my collection through ebay, used record stores and other sources as long as it is out there. And as long as I can keep my 1.2's and Carver amps working, I intend to listen to music on two channel forever. With that said, I will likely invest in an HT rig one of these days, because I am intrigued by the possibilities. But when I want to listen, really listen to music, it's vinyl on the Rega.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Very good point Paul.

There's stuff I listen to on vinyl that has never made it to CD. There'e stuff that I listen to on CD that hasn't made it to 5.1. Heck, I listen to some stuff that hasn't been released except on 78rpm vinyl.

Mantis - I can see where you do a large degree of install where multi-chnnel music is a concern. But I can also see where a 2ch buff wouldn't need your expertise, or somebody is just considering the future possibilities. I'm willing to bet that for music sold on a daily basis, it's around 10,000 2ch for each multi-ch.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited September 2002
    Options
    I'll back up that bet. Walk into a good record shop and you will see 10's of thousands of redbook cd's and maybe 200 multi-channel cd's. I think that says it all.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mantis
    edited September 2002
    Options
    girah,
    even audiophiles like Installers/Pro's.This is where alot of them get to learn more about what they bought,how to treat there listening space/room,and whats the best way to setup my awesome 2 channel rig.

Yes there are the tweakers,they also like to get some input from US.I will give your a example..........MR customer came into Soundex and laid down about 60k on a 2 channel rig,replacing what he had.He gets us to deliver the gear out to his house,we pick up the old gear he wants to trade in,unpack all the new gear, place it in his listening room and hook everything up.
    He starts asking questions about what he just bought like "whats the best distance from the speaker to sit at?"What treatment is needed in this room?"What do you think about what I just bought in compare with what I had?"It goes on and on.

We as a company then and now try to make the best out of what the customer bought.2 channel people,some really know there stuff,and some want to learn alot more like free tips.

Being experienced with speakers,amps,etc really helps to set them up for max perfromance.After you Install it so many times in different type rooms, you get a feel how that product will react in a given room.Like Martin Logans,I know exactly how they react in small rooms or live rooms.Wilson audio speakers can sound better then anything on the planet or sound wasted.Dynaudio Evidence Tempations sound closed in when placed in a less then Ideal room.Same with B&W N801 or 802's.I did this one guys house where he had Krell 300c,Pre and cd transport.Clear audio turntable(I think thats what it was)And Transparent Reference 2 cables.The left speaker had to go behind a baby grand piano,Imagine spending 30k+ on a 2 channel sysem only to reflex out your left speaker.I was in shock and the customer siad it had to go there due to the wife.

When I worked for Soundex,I did about 50/50 Home Theater and 2 channel systems.Even our very best 2 channel customer likes to get some placement,setup tips from us.He has over a million in his basement in audio and video gear alone.He is one sick Audiophile,and close up videophile.
    Dan