6.1 - Is It Worth It??

Dr. Spec
Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
edited September 2002 in Speakers
I was recently able to upgrade my HT receiver for free (long story), and the new one is 6.1 compatible, and decodes DD EX and DTS ES, and it has a rear surround center channel output.

Is 6.1 really a worthwhile upgrade?? For now I told the microprocessor in the receiver to terminate the rear center output and mix it between the rear surrounds and it sounds fine on DTS ES and DD EX DVDs.

I could probably discretely run a speaker wire through the floor duct work and to the back of the fireplace without too much trouble.

If I went to a rear center channel, I would probably stay with a CS245i, to match timbre and compliment my direct radiating surrounds.

Any comments or recommendations on going to a 6.1 set-up?

Thanks,

Doc
"What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS
Post edited by Dr. Spec on

Comments

• liv4fam
    liv4fam Posts: 311
    edited September 2002
    Yeah man, Sounds like you got a sweet deal. You should definitely use a surround back now that you have the ability to. DD EX, DTS-ES, THX-EX, have come along way since it first came out and there was 3 movies. Depending on how your surrounds are set-up (either side-wall or back-wall) adding a center rear can dramatically improve your rears envolpment . So run that wire and hook it up and get a real good 6.1 movie and some popcorn and enjoy.
  • Dr. Spec
    edited September 2002
    Thanks for the advice!

One fly in the ointment - I rechecked and the rear center is a pre-out since the K-stat discrete amp is only 5x100.

No big deal, I have a Harman/Kardon hk870 powering my subs right now that I could use as a spare one channel amp for the rear surround. I will have a spare sub cable after the SVS comes, so I can be back in business in about 10 minutes by adjusting my audio rack and adding another shelf for the h/k amp.

Maybe I'll give it a try! Thanks again........

Doc

SVS
  • jmasterj
    jmasterj Posts: 327
    edited September 2002
    Dear DrSpec,

I guess what you're asking is does the extra channel make that
    big of a difference? That's a question you have to answer for yourself. Go and listen to some systems set up in 6.1. I have a 6.1
    capable receiver, but I only listen to 5.1 for movies, and music. Some people like to get the max out of their systems. To them the
    DD EX, DTS-ES, THX-EX are important. You said it sounds fine if it's
    not broke don't fix it. Or all hell- Go buy another speaker !!!
    JmasterJ Polk to the Death
  • jmasterj
    jmasterj Posts: 327
    edited September 2002
    DrSpec,

I wanted you to know I'm not trying to be a smart-a__ here! It's
    just a lot of times people ask questions that only they can determine for themselves. Don't get me wrong the forum is here
    to help, and answers are here. But I don't think we can tell you how important 6.1 sound is to you. Go listen and make a choice.
    Good Luck... PS Let us know what you decide.
    JmasterJ Polk to the Death
  • Dr. Spec
    edited September 2002
    Jmasterj:

I didn't think you were bustin' on me. I understand what you are saying - in the end my opinion is all what counts.

I just wanted to solicit the opinions of other people who already have 6.1, so I could avoid $150 for a rear center channel (and the time spent connecting it) if the general consensus was it really isn't worth it.

Doc

SVS
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited September 2002
    I am running 6.1.
    And the 7 other times this subject has been brought up - yes it is well worth it. I will never go back to 5.1 again. I watch all movies in aleast a (matrixed) 6.1.
    And when u watch a movie that is well decoded in 6.1 - it is all worth it. I am using a CS245i for my rear center. Just check out my system showcase. ;) Most recently - BLADE 2 is freaking awesome in 6.1 :D
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited September 2002
    I am wiring my new HT for 7.1. By the time I am ready to replace the current pre/pro (Marantz receiver) and buy a dedicated one, I'll get the most current model available. Why not?

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited September 2002
    Ditto Ron

Go big or go home........ 7.1 is great!
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D