Surprise DVD of the year

Strong Bad
Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
edited February 27 in Clubhouse Archives
Although the year is not over, I want to see what everyone else thinks about what the surprise DVD of the year is. With the release of tons of killer DVD's during the year and to come, I really wanted to chime in here to give my pick.

Your pick should be a DVD that completely surprised you with the quality of sound, video and features.

With the coming of some great releases like Godfather, Star Wars Ep 1, Terminator, and a host of others, I have to say that I fully expect them to be great releases. Forrest Gump I knew was going to be great. Some of the remastered ones like Die Hard, I knew were going to be great.

Well, my pick for surprise DVD of the year is....Superman Special Edition. This DVD totally and completely surprised the hell out of me. I suffered through the years of a horrible VHS transfer and grew to know that this was about as good as it would be. I refused to buy the DVD when it came out because I was convinced that it wouldn't be all that, then Micah let me in on the little secret that it is the bomb. I bought it and OH MY GOD is it awesome. The video and audio were completely remastered. John Williams score shines in great brilliance. The thunderous lowend will test any subwoofer. Check out the destruction of Krypton. You'll see what I mean. Also realize that this movie is 23 years old and the quality rivals the new releases of today.

Let's hear your picks everyone!

John
No excuses!
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• sgtgto
    sgtgto Posts: 310
    edited September 2001
    Hi John:

I'll second the motion on that one. I bought Superman The Movie special edition, a month or so ago. Truely awesome. Great sound and great video.

Gary
  • dhmac
    dhmac Posts: 7
    edited September 2001
    I'd second Superman: the Movie (Special Edition) - great video, great sound, great new scenes, and great extras. My only complaint is that I wish the sappy "Can You Read My Mind?" monologue had omitted from the isolated soundtrack. (That scene would be so much better with only the music.)

And I'll add a mention for Close Encounters of the Third Kind: Collector's Edition. Great image and the remixed soundtrack sounds so good that it's surprising that this movie is almost a quarter-century old. My only complaint is that the memorable "Pillow Scene" was omitted from both the new cut and the deleted scenes section.