HanniBULL

Options
RuSsMaN
RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
edited February 27 in Clubhouse Archives
This may have been covered already, but DO NOT RENT / BUY this dvd. Oh my GOD it SUCKS.

This is the first time in I don't know how long that I could not even FINISH a movie. What an ****-whoopin. The new 'Clarice', UG ECK BLAH. Talk about 2 hrs and 11 minutes of BAD ACTING.

I made it 48 minutes into it, and had to write it off.

Cheers,
Russ
Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited September 2001
    Options
    What is with movies lately....the vast majority of them lately have flat out sucked.

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • RuSsMaN
    edited September 2001
    Options
    Lots of lameness recently. I just don't get it. Things tend to piss me off when they waste my time, and I have been pissed at alot of movies recently.

I drew the line with Hannibullshit, I looked over at the wife and said, 'Are you into this? This is horrible, I'm calling it, lets move on to something else.'

Her reply 'Thank God'

Awful I tell ya.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited September 2001
    Options
    Oh, thank goodness for a thread that will keep me from doing actual work on this Monday morning...

I bought HANNIBAL for the demo drawer here, someone requested it. Now it's here, and there is the temptation to actually bring it home and watch it... I LOVE "SOTL," and "Manhunter" even... And it is directed by Ridley (who I guess hasn't made a quality film since "1492" [the movie not the year]), and it does star Hopkins, playing one of my favorite film characters... So many reasons to watch it...

And yet...

I read the book last summer, because I'm a big fan of Thomas Harris, and I thought the book SUCKED. It had "they're giving me lots of money to write this" all over it. I was ashamed.

Okay, so...

So, I will not be watching this movie. It will become just another movie I ignore, just another sequel attempt at a "franchise" that I will pretend never happened.

BUT... I recommend that everyone go out and purchase the new DVD of "SOTL," because not only is the print fantastic, but the extras are very cool. If you do not have the Criterion Collection version, now's your chance to get this film on DVD.

And, if you want a really really phenomenal film experience, check out "MOMENTO," which is probably the best film of the last year; the DVD comes out today. And I have two words for anyone who is thinking of seeing "Momento": PAY ATTENTION.

Do I have to do work now, or can we talk about how great "SOTL" was?

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited September 2001
    Options
    Try "Enemy at the gates", I missed to watch it at the movies but the DVD was great... , good directing, acting and good story (true story)....
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    edited September 2001
    Options
    I know Micah covered this before, but I have to repeat it because it does deserve mentioning again.

I went to the glorious Senator theater here in Baltimore Sunday night and saw "Apocalypse Now Redux". If you can, please see this in a great theater. Man oh man, what a treat! I took my 2 nephews who never saw this. They were blown away, as was I.

The moment it started and the Doors song "The End" began, I knew it was going to be awesome! The Senator ROCKS!!!

Multiplexes suck!

Hey George Grand, what the hell do you know about surfing! You're from Go*****ed New Jersey! ;)
    No excuses!
  • Micah Cohen
    edited September 2001
    Options
    Yeah, "Apopcicle Now" is completely amazing at The Senator. That opening scene just gives me chills, man!

This weekend I watched the "Platoon:SE" DVD, just to see how it stands up, and it is a totally inferior product. If AN is a "10," "Platoon" is a "1.5." What a stupid, BS crappy flick. Oliver Stone sucks, especially compared with a real filmmaker like F.F.Coppola. What crap "Platoon" is.

If you even think of flaming me for this comment, I recommend you see "Apocalypse Now" before you post. Otherwise don't bother, you don't have a leg to stand on. "Platoon" sucks. Oliver Stone sucks. Nice try.

I will definitely rent "Enemy At The Gates."

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• TroyD
    edited September 2001
    Options
    Ok, I thought the movie was OK for an Ollie Stone flick. However, WTF is with the special features where you can listen to either Ollie or his technical advisor talk over the WHOLE effing movie? I mean Christ, a couple mins here and there OK but the whole movie?

The movie is OK but not in the same class as AN or another personal fave Full Metal Jacket.

Troy
  • RuSsMaN
    edited September 2001
    Options
    I don't want the whole Micah-Kubrick thingee going again....snore.....

R
  • TroyD
    edited September 2001
    Options
    right, what am I thinking.....

rough day so far....
  • Micah Cohen
    edited September 2001
    Options
    Troy... That thing where the director talks over the film, that's a really cool DVD thing called a "Commentary Track," and most DVDs have them now. In fact, some -- "Alien," "Desperado," etc. -- are fascinating and informative. Like watching the movie WITH THE DIRECTOR. How cool is that? I love this feature. Get with the program.

Still, "Platoon" sucked. Saying it was "okay for an oliver stone movie," is like not even saying anything: The man's movies SUCK. Suck compared to suck, SUCKS. "Platoon" is a joke, like "The Breakfast Club" goes to war. It's ****, man. Second rate. All you have to do to see what a load of **** it is, is see "Apocalypse Now."

What kind of high-falootin' **** could Stone talk about on the commentary track (I couldn't be bothered to listen to it) for "Platoon"? I'm sure he talked about all his "original" concepts and ideas, and how "bad war is." What a crappy movie.

I watched "15 Minutes" right before it, and it made "15 Minutes," which was a nice disc, dumb-**** waste of time movie, look good. Godamnit if DeNiro doesn't start reading his scripts, one of these days he's really going to piss me off!

Grrrr.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    edited September 2001
    Options
    Wanna talk about Oliver Stone blunders, my vote goes to Natural Born Killers.

Of my almost 34 years on this earth, that is the only movie I ever walked out of a theater on. I've seen some stinker movies, but that one made me get up and walk out. I told my friends I'll meet you outside and left. That was the biggest incoherant pile of dog **** I had ever seen. He must have been smoking weed & had Vietnam flashbacks while he was writing and directing the stupid thing.

Now, I really liked Wallstreet. That was very good! I never had the desire to see Born on the 4th of July. I'll let you guys be the judge of that one and tell me if it's worth it.

John
    No excuses!
  • TroyD
    edited September 2001
    Options
    personally, a few highlights with commentary, cool. The whole damn movie? Uh-uh.

ie. "and here is Tom Berenger picking his nose....and in this scene, man I really had to take a dump so I went behind that bush......" Very tedious.

Troy
  • Micah Cohen
    edited September 2001
    Options
    Troy, haven't you ever wondered, what is the director thinking? where did this idea come from? what was it like making this movie?

Full length commentary tracks are invaluable and enlightening. (When the commentary track is sparce and not continuous, it's actually much more distracting.) It's strange at first to watch a movie with someone talking over it, but you not only learn so much but you gain an even greater appreciation for the film and the filmmaker. And sometimes, the commentary track is just as entertaining as the film, like Mel Brooks talking about "Young Frankenstein" or Burton & Reubens talking about "Pee Wee's Big Adventure."

There's actually very little of the "I wanted a shot of Tom Berenger picking his nose" kind of comment, at least that I've found. I find that the commentary track is sometimes really cool and fun and interesting.

At the very least, it is a great value-added feature on a DVD. Another reason DVD rules. Give it another try with a movie you like. I bet you'll like the movie even more after listening to the commentary.

And O. Stone just sucks ****. His movies suck. He's a lame director. The was absolutely not reason to make the movie "The Doors." NO REASON. What crap.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• TroyD
    edited September 2001
    Options
    I will admit that I couldn't bring myself to watch the Ollie commentary so I started to watch the one with Cpt. Dye....like I said it was tedious, parts of it were cool. I still think that the whole movie is kind of tedious but I will approach it with an open mind on a movie that I really like.

The ultimate loser of a movie was JFK. Not only is the premise of the movie lame but as mindless entertainment is sucked.

Troy
  • Micah Cohen
    edited September 2001
    Options
    Stuff I've learned from commentary tracks (a very short list):

1. Ridley got the reaction from the cat in "Alien" by putting a growling german shepard behind a screen; lift up the screen, get the cat's reaction, drop the screen. Viola!
    2. J. Lee Thompson filmed the awesome cliff-climbing scene in "Guns of Navarone" by molding the cliff face and then laying it flat on the ground for the actors to crawl over!
    3. Robert Rodregez used red-tinted guacamole shot out of an airgun for the blood and guts in "Desperado," that's why it looks so gruesome and lumpy.
    4. Garry Marshall had to really think hard about (and come up with inventive ways of) showing sex, drug use and contraceptive use in "Pretty Woman": it's a DI$NEY film after all!
    5. Frankenheimer duplicated (exactly duplicated) newsreel footage of the Kennedy nomination and inauguration for the chilling final scene footage of "Manchurian Candidate."

Commentary tracks ROCK!

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• TroyD
    edited September 2001
    Options
    ....and it surprises you that you are single????

Troy

and for the record, no further discussion required, I did catch Peter North on one of the **** channels this weekend and I will agree, he is a freak of nature.
  • Micah Cohen
    edited September 2001
    Options
    You're damned right it surprises me that I'm single. I'm a freaking genius! Look at all this cool **** I know! I'm the most interesting freaking person any chick could meet! I am into all this cool stuff! Look at me: Sitting in my office listening to Mozart, chatting casually about great film art, and being all technologically advanced on an internet forum!

I'm filled with prime, damn good genetics (except for the part that controls "looks," I got stiffed in that department, dammit), and every chick should know it.

Damn it.

Now, all I have to do is find an interesting, interested, cultured chick who would listen to DVD commentary tracks with me, and who looks like Jennifer Love Hewett, and I'm SET.

Damn it. :rolleyes:

MC

PS -- That Peter North is something else, huh? Jealous? (I certainly am.)
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited September 2001
    Options
    The book version of "Manhunter", was known as "Red Dragon". Somebody gave it to me a long time before "Manhunter" was released. Scariest book I ever read. I would like to see or READ, the PREQUEL to "Red Dragon". This would be the episode where Will Graham initially confronts the good Dr. Lecter. Who didn't know Hannibal would suck? You giving Hollywood credit for something? Everybody out there is just so chock full of good ideas, that all you get out of them is special effects, and blood and gore.

Somebody mentioned "The Manchurian Candidate". THIS WAS AN EXCELLENT MOVIE. No special effects, and no gore.

Your pal,
    Francis Dolarhyde
  • PETERNG
    edited September 2001
    Options
    Originally posted by Micah
    Now, all I have to do is find an interesting, interested, cultured chick who would listen to DVD commentary tracks with me, and who looks like Jennifer Love Hewett, and I'm SET.

Damn it. :rolleyes:

MC

Micah, base on your resume, you would have no problem whatsoever to find someone like that.... kool....
  • Micah Cohen
    edited September 2001
    Options
    ME. ME. I mentioned "Manchurian Candidate." ME, your friend Micah. Micah, who is tormented by the fact that you (George) are being frustrated by the webstore, and I can't seem to help you.

So, because I tickled your fancy (hello?) by mentioning "Manchurian Candidate," please try the webstore again. Do it for Raymond.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• Micah Cohen
    edited September 2001
    Options
    You know, I actually think it's cooler not knowing anything about Lector's past crimes and how he was caught. I like the way Harris kept Lector to a minor character. I think that it made him even more inhuman, even more terrifying than The Tooth Fairy or Buffalo Bill (and, BTW, the book of "SOTL" is absolutely excellent, too). And yet, there's no denying that Lector, even just on the strength of Hopkins portrayal in "SOTL," is one of the best anti-heros in film history.

And that film really doesn't have much gore in it, either. Most of the terror is purely atmospheric, purely what you think you see, prompted by the music and the camera moves, and the reaction of great actors acting. What a great film! 95 minutes of perfect filmmaking.

"Hannibal" just stinks all around. The book was so awful, I felt like calling up Thomas Harris and bitching him out. How could he -- a better than average novelist -- sink so low as to totally cheese out.

My idea of Lector for now will have to remain Hopkins in "SOTL." Altho I don't in any way disparage Brian Cox in "Manhunter," I think he only hinted at a fine character, and there may have been too much sexuality to it (I like Hopkins basically asexual take on it).

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• George Grand
    edited September 2001
    Options
    Raymond says he wants to order ONE OF THE BLANK SCREENS WE GET WHEN WE TRY TO ACCESS THE POLK STORE!!

Ray's Mom
  • Micah Cohen
    edited September 2001
    Options
    This is so frustrating, Captain Marco.

Is anyone else having this problem?

How come when I go to polkaudio.com, and click on THE STORE on the tab on the left, and I go directly to the store, and then I click on CLASSIC POLK STUFF, everything WORKS FOR ME?!

Grrrr. Damn commie software!
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• George Grand
    edited September 2001
    Options
    Don't sweat it. The money I save by not being able to access the Polk Store, will go directly towards that pair of Paradigm's, PSB's, Snell's, DefTech's, JBL's, Infinity's, Legacy's, NHT's, Energy's..... that I've always wanted.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grand's)

Ray's mom said she's not happy about the way your treating him. Could be trouble. She's a ****.
  • PETERNG
    edited September 2001
    Options
    no problem at all, get in, get what I want and get out in a flash,
    thanx to the 10 bit T1 connection...
  • George Grand
    edited September 2001
    Options
    Damn I wish I was a cutting edge kind of guy. Sounds like they have ALL the fun.

• Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited September 2001
    Options
    It sounds to me like it could be a problem with an older browser or a server problem. I'm not really sure. Here, try this direct link: Polk webstore. Worst case scenario I'm sure Micah can manually order the stuff for you ('cause he's a swell guy and all).

Aaron
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited September 2001
    Options
    ....I really want to hear Lucas' commentary for Episode I. Then, we will finally know what the heck he was smoking!

Aaron
  • George Grand
    edited September 2001
    Options
    No dice on the link Aaron, but thanks anyway. This is discriminatory, the way I see it. I don't think this problem is at my end.

• dhmac
    dhmac Posts: 7
    edited September 2001
    Options
    Originally posted by George Grand
    Who didn't know Hannibal would suck? You giving Hollywood credit for something? Everybody out there is just so chock full of good ideas, that all you get out of them is special effects, and blood and gore.

I wouldn't blame the Hollywood filmmakers for Hannibal - they turned out a well-made and reasonably faithful adaptation of the original novel. The only problem is: the original novel sucks! It was dark and gory and virtually unfilmable.

Plus the original story was such a betrayal to the Clarice character that Jodie Foster quickly dropped out of the film project. The movie version did change the ending of the original story to something rather weak instead, but it's a vast improvement over the ending of the novel!