Terminology vs. performance

burdette
burdette Posts: 1,194
edited August 2002 in Speakers
Polk declares that the LSi15 has a built-in 8" subwoofer... I doubt many of us (?) would go out and buy a separate "subwoofer" with only an 8" driver... so I'm curious... why would they describe this driver as a subwoofer rather than just a woofer? Is the performance of the speaker good enough that you don't need a separate, larger subwoofer?? The Polk page doesn't give specs, but I doubt these are rated as low as 20Hz at 3dB down... are they?

Polk's least expensive subwoofer uses an 8" driver.. again, no specs... do the LSi15s, on their own, play as low or lower than this separate?

I'm just curious... is this marketing? Is is fluffy use of the term subwoofer?

Also curious... I know the LSi tweeter is purchased.. (isn't it a Vifa?)... and I thought the 5.25" driver is Polk-developed (manufactured??)... are the larger drivers (the 8" and 10") Polk drivers?? Are they the same drivers used in Polk's separate subwoofers?

I'm not picking on the LSi line ... just wondering what is going on with the use of the term subwoofer and whether that is consistent speaker to speaker in terms of response. Just my personal opinion.. but I've always thought of the "sub"woofer range as .. oh... below 40-50Hz or so, given that a fair number of bookshelf and floor-standing speakers can reach that low on their own.
Post edited by burdette on

Comments

• Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited August 2002
    I'm just curious... is this marketing? Is is fluffy use of the term subwoofer?
    That's exactly what it is. I find that rather curious since the LSi line is marketed at audiophiles, not CC bass heads. Mantis seems to be quite happy with the bass performance of the 8" woofer in the LSi15. They won't, however, get very close to 20Hz.
    Also curious... I know the LSi tweeter is purchased.. (isn't it a Vifa?)... and I thought the 5.25" driver is Polk-developed (manufactured??)...
    Yes and yes. I don't know if they make the 8" and 10" drivers, but I would imagine so.

Aaron
  • GuitarheadCA
    GuitarheadCA Posts: 400
    edited August 2002
    Crutchfield actaully doesn't call it a subwoofer. In their pages it's labed as a woofer.

The Polk page doesn't give specs

If you click on a model- look to the left and there's a sub menu which includes the specs.

Acording to Polk (and these are probably padded) the dual 8"s play 30 hz at -3db, and 22 hz overall. This is actually better depth than the speperate 8" sub. I've never heard the PSW 250 next to the LSi15s, so I can't vouch for the specs- only quote them.
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited August 2002
    Thanks for the information on finding the specs.. I *thought* I'd been able to find them on the site before, but brain-farted the information away, I guess.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited August 2002
    It's a marketing "tool". Of course they're not subwoofers. But somebody (probably Blose) started calling anything larger than a shoebox a subwoofer. So now you have an entire country full of twits that have "subwoofers". Makes you want to puke don't it?

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • STUFFMD
    STUFFMD Posts: 381
    edited August 2002
    I was looking really hard at the LSI line when I decided to go with the Rt800's and y splitted 2 real subs, due to lack of flexibility with the built in subs in the LSI line. I know I could have gotten the Lsi 9 but I prefer a floorstanding speaker over a bookshelf. I wish they (polk)would build an Lsi floorstanding w/out the subs/woofers or build a stand that makes the LSi 9 look like a floorstander.
    For what it's worth,
    Peace StuffMD
    Your system is only as good as your weakest component...!

OnkyoTX-DS 797
    NAD C270/ Mains
    Mains: LSI9's
    Center: Cs400i /Biwired
    Rear: Fx300i
    Rear Center:CS 245i
    Dvd: Onkyo DVS 555
    Vision RCA 36" Premiere Series
    Bang & Olfsen RX Turntable
    Psw 350 Front/Psw 202 rear
    Kimber Cable 4TC Mains HF
    Monster Originals/Center
    Kimber Interconnects
    Monster XP Everywhere else
    PS2/Gamecube
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited August 2002
    The LSi15 doesn't have an internally powered woofer....

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited August 2002
    you see what spec's do to people???????????

Is anyone seeing why I perfer not to rely on them so much??

The Lsi 15's do not have a built in amp...that is correct.....no powercord thank god.............................

Now the Woofer is of the built quality of an 8 inch Subwoofer.Without knowing for sure I would assume it's the same driver used in the stand alone Psw.Someone from Polk could answer that better then me.

Here's what I do know about the Lsi 15's.............There quick and powerfull.Nice and pleasing to listen 2.There is no problem with the 8 inch woofer.......why so many questions????get the hell out of your chair and go listen to them and form your own opnion of them.want mine??????There the effin bomb, my ****'s....
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited August 2002
    Originally posted by mantis
    There the effin bomb, my ****'s....

I feel i'm part of something.........even if i'm thought to be a ****.......:)
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited August 2002
    Forum hug??:)
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited August 2002
    The Lsi15's perform quite well for 2 channel listening. The passive sub provides very good bass response although it does not go 20Hz. A seperate sub is needed for really deep bass (LFE). Don't sell these short until you've had a chance to listen to 'em. I wouldn't trade mine for ANYTHING!
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited August 2002
    My own definition of a subwoofer is: Flat to 25 Hz or lower, with sufficient volume to fill a good sized HT room with LFE effects, with less than 10% THD at those high volume levels.

The LSi15 certainly digs deep - a -3dB at 30Hz is impressive and is deeper than the PSW350 and the PSW450 by 8Hz and 5Hz, respectively. The key here is that this roll-off spec was measured at a moderate volume level.

Can the LSi15 fill a good sized HT room with powerful LFE effects? No - it is a simple matter of physics that the two 8" woofers can only move so much air at 30-40Hz. Yes, they will play deep (deeper even than many so called "subs", including those made by Polk), but they will not play deep AND play loud at the same time.

For two channel listening at moderate volumes, the LSi15 digs deep enough for anyone but pipe organ aficionados. But for vision blurring, turn your guts to jello, pants leg fluttering LFE, look elsewhere - get a dedicated "sub" (even if it doesn't play quite as deep) that can really move some air.

Most LFE signals are 30 Hz and higher. Many inexpensive "subs" with a 35 Hz -3dB point can do many LFE tracks justice because they move a lot of air and keep distortion acceptably low.

There are, however, a handful of DVDs than have strong content to below 20 Hz, and on a sub capable of faithfully reproducing them, it is VERY impressive. This will either cost you some pretty serious coin, or requires some decent DIY skills, or both.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited August 2002
    subwoofer....i dont mind having dual 8's dual 6's...they dont hit like dual 10's or dual 12...sbut i dont mind them and i would not call them a subwoofer...their just a woofer...
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC