Enclosure recc. Open Air

Options
PoweredByDodge
PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
edited April 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
In an open air environment (for example, on my front porch, or in the open bed of my pickup truck), what enclosure will perform the loudest, while still maintaining at least a basic amount of 'it sounds good'. I don't want a **** can with a very very very limited frequency range.

However, I realize that in an open environment, sealed will likely not be the way to go. So, ported, bandpass -- and why ?
The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
Post edited by PoweredByDodge on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Sealed is always the way to go, even in an open environment. ;)
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited April 2007
    Options
    I thought ported / bandpass was the loudest in an open air situation?
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited April 2007
    Options
    BUMP...

Thom (or anyone else) any thoughts?

I really don't know what to do. I'm going to be putting this box in the bed of my truck. And I'm not sure whether I should port it and fire it down (like a home sub fires down at the floor) or port it and fire it forward, or do sealed and fire it ... I dunno...

ideas?
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2007
    Options
    I thought ported / bandpass was the loudest in an open air situation?

Nah. Its the same way it is in your car. Ported will be louder at a certain frequency and then fall off after that. A good sealed with plenty of power is always the best way to go IMO. Inside or out.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited April 2007
    Options
    hmm.... interesting.

i'm only going to be putting about 450 watts onto a 12" 92 db efficiency sub.

this'll be interesting