Saving weight

Options
2»

Comments

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited April 2007
    Options
    I wonder if there is a fixit kit out there that would allow you to fix a bigger hole THEN fill it with fix-a-flat? Either way I out there on a high wire with no net... :)
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited April 2007
    Options
    You can always plug the hole and then use fix a flat.
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • mwh9
    mwh9 Posts: 51
    edited April 2007
    Options
    If I remember correctly, that car is basically a box on casters. If you get it too lite, a good crosswind could make for a bad day. Just a word of caution, don't want to see anyone get hurt. When you get it as lite as you can, just tell yourself that doing any more might make the car unsafe.
  • madmax
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Maybe 200 pounds lighter than stock would be as low as I could get it. I doubt that would cause too much problem. I was in some really heavy crosswinds on the way to work yesterday and it felt the same as it had previously.

Funny thing about this box. If you look at it by itself you see a mini-van sorta structure. Tall and short. When you pull up to a little sports car you notice its not much taller and realize its not van like at all. Also, all the weight is down low which makes it pretty stable. Kind of a trick to the eyes.
    madmax

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Wow. Man. You're going all out on that thing. That's insane.

And I wanna hear about your race car!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited April 2007
    Options
    sawz all all the pillars and remove the top. Take the doors off. Remove the rear wheels/tires and use low friction coasters(like on the bottom of equipment racks. losse the whole exhaust just let it blow out the side of the block. remove headlights, tail light and turn signals. Rip out all unneeded wiring.

That'll do it,
    Ted
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • madmax
    edited April 2007
    Options
    audiobliss wrote: »
    Wow. Man. You're going all out on that thing. That's insane.

Its a fun little vehicle! Hopefully I'll find some time this summer to put in a little work on it. Right now work is kicking my a$$. I'll tell you this, removing the 200 or so pounds made it way faster than my supercharged blazer. Its all about the power to weight ratio. Thats the way they should rate all cars. I'm at about 117 hp, divided by 2100 pounds. That makes the p/w 0.0557. Thats pretty respectable.
    madmax

• ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited April 2007
    Options
    madmax wrote:
    Its all about the power to weight ratio. Thats the way they should rate all cars. I'm at about 117 hp, divided by 2100 pounds. That makes the p/w 0.0557. Thats pretty respectable.
    madmax

That was Colin Chapman's philosophy. Instead of tons of power, make a light car thus Lotus was born :D
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited April 2007
    Options
    ledhed wrote: »
    That was Colin Chapman's philosophy. Instead of tons of power, make a light car thus Lotus was born :D

Yes but that's the ideal situation, having the good power to weight ratio on a light car. It'll be much faster than a heavier car with the same ratio, all other things being equal. I'm sure Jstas will chime in on this one so I won't bother to go any further on that issue... ;)
  • madmax
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Sami wrote: »
    It'll be much faster than a heavier car with the same ratio, all other things being equal.

Not questioning you but I figured that p/w ratio told about the whole story other than obvious things like how well it turns, traction etc.
    madmax

• Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited April 2007
    Options
    madmax wrote: »
    Not questioning you but I figured that p/w ratio told about the whole story other than obvious things like how well it turns, traction etc.
    madmax

Faster car overall, not the fastest to accelerate but also to decelerate and corner. :)
  • coolfishy101
    coolfishy101 Posts: 42
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Removing all of that weight will raise the center of gravity. I would recomend getting sport springs and shocks along with upgraded sway bars (if the scion has sways) but you need to reduce the body roll because you might end up top side on a bad turn with a cross wind. I'm not saying your racing around corners, but just food for thought.

As for engine power, on a 4 - small 6cyl engine cold air intakes, exhaust systems, and headers aren't going to do much for producing power. They will free up weight though and sound better but it won't react like a muscle car with a 50 hp difference. You'll make about +5 hp at the most. Underdrive pulleys are another upgrade too. Also I believe 1pound of rotating mass = 10 pounds of dead mass.
    pioneer vsx-d411
    rti10's
    csi3
    rt15i's
  • honda cber
    honda cber Posts: 267
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Since the XB is a FWD there is NO driveshaft....

right, there are two of them (CV axles). i know of no lightweight or hi-po versions of these for the scion, but almost anything can be fabricated with enough drive and/or $$$. usually the hi-po versions are not only lighter, but substantially stronger, often with more splines than stock, and made of materials like chro-moly. good for bottle-feeding and forced induction icon_twisted.gif

BTW, one might be mindful of the attributes of the low horsepower engine with (i assume) a fairly wide gear range when considering things like a lightweight flywheel. you might have to do a lot more shifting, especially if it is hilly in max-land. FWIW. and i agree 100% that exhaust is a great place for weight savings as well as the inherent performance possibilities. hell, i have saved over 30lbs on a motorcycle--- there is alot more steel tubing under that scion.

-stainless cat-back and header, if available
    -cold-air or at least upgraded intake
    -remap
    -under-driven pulleys, if available
    -aftermarket clutch

unfortunately, OBDII is a **** for performance upgrades.
    a

***evidently, coolfishy beat me to the punch? lol, didnt realize there were two pages (doh)
    gear list:
    1 down, 4 up....
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited September 2007
    Options
    How about removing the plastic things around your licence plates? Serves no purpose and adds another 1-2 lbs of weight.

Also stuff like cup holders, ashtrays, glove compartment, etc. can add up to quite a bit of weight.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Lowering springs to reduce drag. Even though it has the aerodynamics of a brick it should still help.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Keeping your tires inflated, under-inflated tires give you lower MPG.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited September 2007
    Options
    use donuts on all four wheels.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Mmmm! Donuts!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!